Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I've mentioned here a few times about a multiplayer add-on and this is most probably the route I will take for multiplayer.

That's great, actually one of the reasons I released RGSK was to help developers learn how to make racing games. I was once working on a racing game project a few years ago and realized just how hard it is to make a racing game. So upon completion, I decided to develop an asset that will make things easier for other devs looking to make racing games :)

Thanks.

blakeysal and AbhishekRaj like this.
  2. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

I begin to work with the kit. Start a race, but when I go to out of road, it show big purple squares, I think it was supposed to show grass or dust. How I can correct that?

3. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

A material is probably not assigned to the particle system. Go to the "Prefabs\Misc\VehicleEffects" folder and select the "WheelSlipDirt" prefab. In the inspector, scroll down to the "Renderer" module and assign a material. The material used for this prefab is the "SkidParticleDirt" found in the "Source/Materials" folder.

Let me know if this fixes it.

Attached Files:

4. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

Hi @Intense_Gamer94, It works. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Atzig

Atzig

Thought I'd share a few screens of something I'm working on, a Road Rash type game.

screens ScreenShot_9-2-2017_4-49-03_PM_[159].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_4-51-05_PM_[952].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_5-03-49_PM_[967].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_4-49-14_PM_[33].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_5-04-33_PM_[909].jpg

Ian094 likes this.
  6. Atzig

Atzig

A few more, last set of screens I'll post, I swear.

screens
    ScreenShot_9-2-2017_4-50-29_PM_[678].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_5-05-07_PM_[284].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_5-05-15_PM_[434].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_5-32-31_PM_[79].jpg ScreenShot_9-2-2017_5-37-52_PM_[681].jpg

The vehicle UI must have bugged out on me.

Ian094 likes this.
  7. Ian094

Ian094

Nice, looks fun! :)

Atzig likes this.
  8. Atzig

Atzig

Thanks! Needs a lot of work but I'm happy with the way it's going.

9. Atzig

Atzig

Quick question, in V2, will the driver for the motorbike ragdoll when crashing?

10. obstudio

obstudio

And question about integration - will v2 support Rewired, RCC or edy's VC, easyRoads v3?

11. Atzig

Atzig

I think all of those are already integrated except EasyRoads V3 as it doesn't require any integration. Check under RacingGameStarterKit->Other->Integrations and import the packages you need.

12. obstudio

obstudio

I know that they are integrated in version 1. I'm asking about v2

13. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Personally, how do I get better results with the sensors, when the cars are on the track of Monaco, they beat a lot, which are the correct AI values for me to correct this error, follows the image of the values that I am currently using.

Thank you all for the attention. Sensores.png

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  14. Ian094

Ian094

Yes but unfortunately, the beta version will not have a rider because I'm testing with a rider from the asset store and don't have permissions to distribute the model and animations.

But during the beta phase I'll take the time to get all new assets for the official release of v2.0 on the asset store.

I am currently working on fixing a pretty bad bug I came across while pre-testing beta.

15. Ian094

Ian094

Here are the assets that will be integrated with v2.0:

Edy's Vehicle Physics / Vehicle Physics Pro
    Realistic Car Controller
    Randomation Vehicle Physics
    Unitycar 2.2
    MoDyEn
    FunCarKit
    Sportbike Pro

Rewired
    EasyRoads
    SENTIERI

Please note that not all these assets will be integrated in the initial release.

antoripa, AbhishekRaj and blakeysal like this.
  16. user099

user099

Fantastic news

Ian094 likes this.
  17. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Lowering the acceleration wander should reduce this. Also, set the difficulty to "Custom" to use custom values or they will be overwritten on start.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  18. obstudio

obstudio

nice to hear that, thanks

AbhishekRaj and blakeysal like this.
  19. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

That's a really good news. Hoping to see v2.0 soon.

20. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Just a quick question guys.
    Where do we need to assign the Menu Manager.cs script to create our menu system? Should we assign it to our vehicle? The documentation doesn't clearly specify this.:)

Thanks in advance

21. Ian094

Ian094

The MenuManager script should sit in your scene somewhere. It shouldn't be attached to a vehicle because they activate and deactivate. Create an empty gameObject and attach the MenuManager script to it. You can check the demo scene for reference.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  22. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I have done as per your advice but now I got another problem. Any button in my Menu is not working. I have created a new scene and added it to build settings.

23. Ian094

Ian094

The buttons are not assigned an onClick method automatically so you will have to assign these manually unfortunately. Reference the demo menu scene for help on which methods to assign to your button's onClick.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  24. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I have done as per your advice but my buttons are still not working.I have also created Input Manager but it's still not working. It's really frustrating.

25. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I understand that this can be frustrating so I wrote a script that will assign the button's onClick function automatically.

Create an empty gameOject in your scene, call it "Menu Button Assigner" or something and add the script I've attached here.

Then begin to drag and drop your buttons into their respective slots in the inspector. Only assign the buttons that you need to use and be sure to get rid of any existing onClick functions on your buttons.

Hopefully this helps you and anyone-else who may be having this issue using the v1.1.0a menu system.

Attached Files:

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  26. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Thanks man for your help. I have downloaded the script and after setting it up, I will update here.
    P.S. Fabulous support is also a key reason behind the tremendous success of RGSK. Keep it up.:)

27. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I have finally created my menu system. Without the help of @Intense_Gamer94 , it was not possible. So, thanks a lot man.:)

Ian094 likes this.
  28. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Could someone help me with a script: How could I separate by decade within the championship? For example, do we have F1 cars from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s, and does the player select a specific decade to play and only choose the cars of the decade?

Thanks for listening.

29. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I think that you also want to make changes to the tracks and the general environment of the Race. The best solution in that case would be to create different scenes for each decade and then customize them according to your need. A script will not be of that much help to you in this case.

Cheers

30. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

But the game will not be too heavy for mobile, with several scenes in the game?

31. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Yes, it will be heavy but if you use optimisation techniques correctly then it will be fine. I personally think that your game would be more engaging if you use different scenes with different backgrounds to show the desired decade.
    If you are inclined towards using the same scene then you can create PlayerPrefs of all the Cars and then load them according to the user's input.

32. Atzig

Atzig

Do you mean a race requires the player to use a car from a specific decade?

33. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Yes.

34. Atzig

Atzig

You can add an int to your MenuManager script -> MenuVehicle class

Code (CSharp):
    1. public int yearReleased;
    Then add two more ints to the same script under the MenuTrack class:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // remember to set these values in the inspector
    2. public int minYear;
    3. public int maxYear;
    Then compare it in UpdateUI, line 317 for me:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (raceButton) raceButton.gameObject.SetActive(menuTracks[trackIndex].unlocked && menuVehicles[vehicleIndex].yearReleased > menuTracks[trackIndex].minYear && menuVehicles[vehicleIndex].yearReleased < menuTracks[trackIndex].maxYear);
    2.                     else if (menuVehicles[vehicleIndex].yearReleased < menuTracks[trackIndex].minYear || menuVehicles[vehicleIndex].yearReleased > menuTracks[trackIndex].maxYear);
    3.                            // Debug.Log("This vehicle does not qualify for this race");
    Of course you'll have to set the minYear and maxYear for each track and the yearReleased for each car. And if you don't want to have any restrictions on a track, just set the minYear to 0 and the maxYear to 9999.

There's probably simpler ways to do it but this works well enough. Also, this was something I quickly put together so...yeah, might not work EXACTLY as intended.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    AbhishekRaj likes this.
  35. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Thank you friend.

Atzig likes this.
  36. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

How goes the update release? Should be any moment now?

37. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

A while ago, I was doing pre-beta testing and I came across quite a few bugs with the parts of the race system and have been working on fixing them.

I also found parts of the asset that can be greatly improved such as the input system. So over the last week I've put lots of hours into re-writing the input system and making other improvements to the asset. With these improvements, the update will be better than it could've been so I'm happy I found those bugs! :)

I'm more excited than anyone to get beta released and I'm working full-time to make that happen.

Again, thanks everyone for all your patience.

38. _Auron_

_Auron_

So just to clarify, this isn't related to the RGK asset from http://www.unityracingkit.com/ correct?

I have been looking for an AI solution for racing and am currently using EVP5 for my current vehicle physics, and have my vehicles rigged up properly. I am not sure if your last 1.1 release from 2016 supports EVP5 but after trying the demo I may have to give this a shot. I'm just not sure that you'll have 2.0 out before I need to have major portions of this project done.

39. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

No, the Racing Game Starter Kit is not related to RGK.

v1.1.0 supports EVP v5.1.

Upgrading a project to v2.0 will not be possible, however, it wont be difficult to re-configure your projects to work with it -with all the new features and improvements, It will be worth the time for sure.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj, JamesArndt and _Auron_ like this.
  40. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Your timing of release will be so good for me, cause im almost done with my current project will take almost 2 weeks at max.. excitement overloaded..

AbhishekRaj and Ian094 like this.
  41. _Auron_

_Auron_

Thanks for the prompt response! Went ahead and bought it, will see about integrating now. Mainly looking into the AI aspects and have my waypoints already in place, most of what I did (outside of EVP) was done from scratch, but this definitely looks promising.

Cheers!

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  42. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Maybe it would speed release up if those of us who are owners of the product can help quash bugs via beta testing v2.0?

derkoi, AbhishekRaj and _Auron_ like this.
  43. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks for your support!

Contact me if you encounter any issues or have any questions.

_Auron_ likes this.
  44. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, this is one of the primary reasons why a beta version will be available. It would be incredibly hard for me to do this myself because there's only so much testing that I can do.

I've got a few more things to do before making 2.0 beta publicly available.

Thanks.

45. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Eagerly waiting for the 2.0 beta version man. It will be good to test such a great asset.

Ian094 likes this.
  46. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

I wish you could release a rough teaser video, just get the hype going ;) obv if u have spare time 4 that...

Atzig, derkoi, AbhishekRaj and 2 others like this.
  47. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah I would love to see like a little 35 or 40 second teaser of some of the new features and/or updates!

_Auron_, AbhishekRaj and Max1982 like this.
  48. Max1982

Max1982

Hi there

(In one project) Menu scene loads currency from other scene with menu script. But it doesnt load chosen cars ("Choose" button doesnt work between scenes). What shall I do that menu also load chosen car to race? Please help!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    JamesArndt likes this.
  49. Max1982

Max1982

For

Like I wrote a few weeks ago, I think that we should wait for Christmas ;) I believe that v 2.0 will be a big step.

50. FractalCore

FractalCore

I just started using this. It's working really well so far.

Is there any way to speed up the Look Left, Look Right, Look Back that the chase camera does. It takes about a second to look then another second to return to the front. Which is way too slow.

Is there some code I can change in the Player Camera script maybe? Or an option I might have missed. Ideally it should switch instantly. It's less visually appealing but far better for a racing game.