Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Looking forward to it.

Are you testing against Unity 5.3.4?

2. toto2003

toto2003

hello, thanks for the reply, i manage to integrate RCC it was quite smooth and easy and your AI work fine to me, so i didn t bother adding a different AI, i try to had more than 6 car as it seem the maximum limit is reached , having more spawn point to the track and put total number of 12 in racemanager didnt really help, i was wondering if in the future you are planning to integrate that feature? i guess that would involve also to change the UI completion panel etc...

thanks for that awesome asset that really save me lot of time.

edit: for some reason the F1 demo works when i add more cars...

edit2: adding more cars will get some hit performance logically, i try to reduce raycast distance on some of the oponant car , changing fixed timestep to 0.9 , do you have any tips to optimise like crazy the update call on the AI?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I haven't tested on 5.3.4 yet but I plan to before submitting the version. I'm currently using 5.3.3.

Hi,

It's possible to have as many racers as you want - you only need to ensure that there are enough spawnpoints and enough race standings in the completion panel.

Ai is still something that I'm trying to fully optimize so expect to see improvements in v1.0.9

Thanks, there's lots of features lined up for this asset. It'll only get better with each update.

4. rolliefingez

rolliefingez

just purchased this last night mainly on strength of reviews, this thread and support from the dev so testament to you!

I have a quick question regarding setup with Randomation Vehicle Physics I have seen it mentioned earlier in the thread and when importing can see support for Edys, UnityCar and RCC but not RVP 2.0 I have searched the thread but cant see any info regarding support for RVP or does this fall into the Using your own vehicle physics in the readme?

Thanks

Phil

5. Max1982

Max1982

Hi Intense_Gamer94, Any information about date release next version of the asset. Should we expect upgrade system in 1.0.9 package? Regards

6. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

Thanks for your support.

Randomation isn't supported yet. I plan on adding full support for it soon though. I believe Randomation would fall in the "Using your own vehicle physics" section. I've never actually used it so that's why I'm a bit unsure.

Hi,

Apparently, an upgrade system hasn't been implemented yet and might not be in this version.

Expect to see v1.0.9 soon, I'm finalizing a few features before submitting it to the Asset Store. Here's some things to expect :

Mayureshete likes this.
  7. Max1982

Max1982

No upgrade system :-( could you add only UI with change car skin (for example via changing material in the car or something like that). Your asset is good but there is no customize cars option in the main manu compare to other assets in unity store.

8. Atzig

Atzig

Will the Sprint race type still be included in the new version?

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Good news, an upgrade system will be included. The upgrade system will include both visual & performance upgrades :)

Hey,

The sprint race type will probably be included in v1.0.9.

Non-looped paths are not currently supported but I'll see what I can do before submitting the new version.

Max1982 and Mayureshete like this.
  10. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

thats gr8, may be u sud have kept it a surprise for release when people were least expecting it....

also can you add open world demo or free roam like scene....?

Gr8 work Kepp it up...

mean while am trying to build a neat city scene... a few of them... ;)

11. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

Thanks for your support.

I don't actually have an open world scene( a cool city or something like that) so I can't add one for now.

However, I can guide you on how you would add one :

1. Create the open world scene

2. Create a new script that will handle spawning the player car in the open world scene.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject playerVehicle;
    2. void Awake()
    3. {
    4. //load the player from Resources
    5. playerVehicle = (GameObject)Resources.Load("PlayerVehicles/"+ PlayerPrefs.GetString("PlayerVehicle"));
    6. }
    8. void Start()
    9. {
    10. //Spawn player at this transform's position
    11. GameObject player = (GameObject)Instantiate(playerVehicle, transform.position, transform.rotation);
    12. }
    3. In your main menu scene, simply create a button that loads the open world scene

This is a basic way of adding an open world scene - I hope it helps.

I will be adding an open world scene in a future update.

Thanks.

12. Ian094

Ian094

Here's a preview of the color customization.

Each color corresponds to a texture, therefore color changing is not done by tweaking the RGB values of the material.

Next thing to finish up is the performance upgrades.
    colorCustom.png

13. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

will this upgrades work with RCC cars also or do we have to mod something.....?

14. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, the upgrades will work with all the integrated vehicle physics assets.

Only minor changes to the performance upgrade references will have to be made. For example instead of referencing Car_Controller.cs "topSpeed" value, you will need to reference RCCControllerV2.cs "maxspeed " value.

Mayureshete likes this.
  15. dennis1980

dennis1980

Hello super work !! can help you implement Randomation Vehicle Physics

16. androleocez

androleocez

Where i can set time conditions to win in Time Trial mode?

17. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks, I'd appreciate that :)

Inbox me.

Hi,

Time Trial race mode has no win conditions. The main aim of this race type is to set the best possible track time and also to have fun competing with the ghost vehicle :)

I am currently testing all the new features in v1.0.9 to make sure there's no glitches or flaws - It will be submitted very soon.

Thank you.

Mayureshete and androleocez like this.
  18. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.9 has been submitted and should be live soon.

Boat physics have been excluded in this version because of some buoyancy issues I was having. However, expect a follow up version pretty soon with solid water based physics.

Changelog for v1.0.9 :

guavaman, Mayureshete and androleocez like this.
  19. toto2003

toto2003

you made my day! going to test that as soon as it s live

Ian094 likes this.
  20. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Same

Ian094 likes this.
  21. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@Intense_Gamer94

>>> • Rewired support <<<

Yea! Thanks for Rewired integration and all of the other updates. Can't wait till it appears on the asset store. Keep up the good work.

@guavaman will like this too.

guavaman and Ian094 like this.
  22. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hello,

I was wondering how the opponent names work. I am trying to load grid where every car has a specific driver. I have customized the RaceManager script so that on Awake I generate opponentCars and opponentNamesList both sorted the way I want (cars - "driver1 car", "driver2 car", "driver3 car"... names "driver1", "driver2", "driver3"). But when the race starts, driver names names get randomized and I end up with wrong names on wrong cars. What would be the best way to fix this?

EDIT:
    So after looking at the code I see that car objects are instantated first and only then the RaceManager is searching for objetcs with Statistics component.

So I swapped the original line with my custom method, where I get driver names according to the car object name.

//racers.gameObject.name = opponentNamesList[nameIndex].ToString();
    racers.gameObject.name = myCustomGrid.getNameForCar(racers.gameObject.name);

I hope this change doesn't mess up something. Is opponentNamesList used anywhere else beyond this point?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  23. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

One way you could achieve this would be by modifying the Statistics.cs script instead.

Creating a "Driver Name" string variable and assigning it accordingly on each car would make sure that each car has the right name when the race starts.

This would mean getting rid of the code that assigns names to the racers in the RaceManager.

I suppose this would help in what you are trying to do.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.

Edit :
    No, the opponentNamesList is only used when spawning racers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  24. Ian094

Ian094

Hello everyone,

v1.0.9 is now live!

There's a new path creator in v1.0.9

RGSK_PathCreatorFinish.png

By selecting "Node Layout Mode" you will be able to place nodes by simply clicking to where you want them placed. This makes path creation much faster and less boring.

You may also notice that wheel steer is now played-back on replays & ghost vehicles.

The next focus for the kit is water based physics so you can develop cool boat racing games :)

If you have any feature requests, feel free to post them here and they will most probably be added to the kit.

Thanks.

25. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

hi, can you list the scripts that have the updates? i modified them so much i don't want to override my changes, thanks

26. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

I've actually lost track of every single script I made changes to. The main scripts that have been modified are in the Scripts/Race/ folder and include :

RaceManager.cs
    Statistics.cs
    RaceUI.cs
    ProgressTracker.cs
    PathCreator.cs
    RankManager.cs
    ReplayManager.cs
    GhostVehilce.cs
    Changes to MenuManager.cs, Wheels.cs have also been made.

As always, I would recommend backing up your project before updating.

Let me know if you encounter any issues with this version.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  27. dennis1980

dennis1980

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  28. Ian094

Ian094

29. dennis1980

dennis1980

30. derkoi

derkoi

Just bought this and would like support for Randomation Vehicle Physics also. Excellent asset by the way, I switched from iRDS because your system had replays and ghosts, which I'm looking forward to having in my projects.

31. Ian094

Ian094

This is because your vehicle has multiple colliders. This makes OnTriggerEnter to be called multiple times.

Here's a workaround to this issue :

1. Create a new Layer (Edit>ProjectSettings>Tags&Layers), call it "Trigger".

2. Go to Physics Settings (Edit>ProjectSettings>Physics) and uncheck Trigger/IgnoreRaycast layers.

3. Set all but 1 of your vehicle's colliders to the "Trigger" layer.

What this will do is ignore "Trigger" to "IgnoreRaycast" layer detection. Ensure you set the FinishLine trigger to the "IgnoreRaycast" layer.

Attached Files:

32. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your support.

I can help integrate Randomation for your project, I will inbox you then we'll take it from there.

Randomation will be supported out of the box in one of the next versions.

33. dennis1980

dennis1980

34. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey there, as im very curious about the water physics and also randomation integration i was wondering how long it might take for the next update to arrive if you can predict such a thing

In addition, can you integrate several different systems at the same time - reason being id like to use the features of RCC, randomation and edys concurrently

Finally, would integrated support be included for some of the motorcycle and hover-vehicle assets be considered as that could make for some very interesting gameplay - the hovervehicle things for example could make something like Wipeout style races a fun possibility

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I'm actually submitting a new update tonight, this update will mainly have improvements to the Path Creator & Sound Manager.

Water based physics are a work in progress and I plan to have them added somewhere between the end of the month to early May. The same applies to Randomation.

Yes, this is possible. For now you can simply include their references where needed. For example, in the RaceManager's StartRace function :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(go.GetComponent<MyVehiclePhysics1>())
    2.    go.GetComponent<MyVehiclePhysics1>().controllable = true;
    4. if(go.GetComponent<MyVehiclePhysics2>())
    5.    go.GetComponent<MyVehiclePhysics2>().controllable = true;
    7. //etc
    I've actually been thinking of adding out of the box support for all the other vehicle physics assets out there. I'll probably do this in one of the upcoming versions.

Yup! That would definitely make for some awesome gameplay. Expect more vehicle physics integrations in the near future.

Thanks.

36. dennis1980

dennis1980

37. derkoi

derkoi

38. dennis1980

dennis1980

There is a Problem with replaymanger .tomorrow will fix it

39. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.9a is live.

40. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

One update after another. :) Very interested in your soundmanager changes.

41. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks, I thought that only being able to have 1 looped music track in SoundManager.cs was very limiting.

Next update will feature water based physics :)

derkoi likes this.
  42. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

This is strange, PlayerPrefs are supposed to be per project.

What OS are you running?

I tried reproducing the issue but everything seems fine for me.

Does this happen for anyone else?

43. Max1982

Max1982

I found in tools "player data restore". It helped to reset player data to default settings.

I use Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  44. Ian094

Ian094

Hello everyone,

You may have noticed an issue with ghost vehicle wheel rotation after the first Time Trial lap.

This bug has been fixed and is live on the asset store.

45. AndersBackman

AndersBackman

Hi!
    Have you started to look into multiplayer possibilites?

To me it feels like multiplayer and tournament mode is the biggest features missing right now from this otherwise excellent kit.

Thre3ouls and Mayureshete like this.
  46. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I haven't started working on multiplayer features yet - the primary focus at the moment is water based vehicles.

Once I get this done, multiplayer will pretty much be my main focus. This will include both split screen & networked multiplayer. I'm still unsure whether to go with UNET or Photon for networked multiplayer but I'll figure it out.

Thanks again.

Thre3ouls likes this.
  47. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Photon may be... will be the better option, Unet is quite new

48. Thre3ouls

Thre3ouls

I'll be looking forward to it. Need it for my current project!

49. toto2003

toto2003

hello there, so far the latest update is fantastic, i really have some fun with it, but sometime i face some issue with the lap count, my player sometime didn t got updated when he pass the lap after he made a full round from the circuit, my circuit is quite large in width so i suspect the player car miss some point from the path , how can i know with certainty that he pass each point of the path ? could we visualise that or what a log.debug? or can we enlarge the area of each point of the path so we i m sure that my player reach them.

cheers

50. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

You can keep track of your passed nodes by looking at the "passedNodes" bool list in Statistics.cs. Simply comment out the [HideInInspector] attribute.

Another thing to ensure is that your first node is in-front of the finish line & the last node is behind it.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.