Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Adding more cars/tracks is in the documentation from page 48. In v1.1.0, adding new cars/tracks revolves around using the menu system.

Yes, you can distribute your game(s) on Google Play.

2. Apollo75

Apollo75

any update regarding version 2 release?

JamesArndt likes this.
  3. simdan000

simdan000

Oh, thank you so much! :)

4. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

I'd really love to buy this and I saw that you are sending the beta of v2 out to owners of v1, so I just want to be sure, if I buy v1 will v2 come as an update to it or will it be sold as an entirely new asset like some developers do?

EDIT: One other question, is it possible to edit the AI to make it more aggressive? I.e. so they purposefully slam into the player/each other

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  5. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, a lot has been achieved in the last couple of months. We’re near release.

I will go through all of the systems, features, and improvements in a post here soon.

karlschanzl and Apollo75 like this.
  6. Ian094

Ian094

The 2.0 update will be free for all owners of v1. It will not be a new asset.
    This is not possible in v1. However, in v2.0 the AI can be assigned different behaviors that determine how they behave. There are several values that you can tweak to achieve varied behaviors.

In the case of slamming into other vehicles, you can set the AI target to let’s say, the closest vehicle to the AI and it will follow and slam into it. There are a few “Target Approach Actions” that determine what the AI will do when it approaches the target:

Slow Down - Gradually slow down as it approaches the target based on some distance factors.
    Slow Down and Stop - Same as “Slow Down” but the AI will stop once the target is reached.
    None - Do nothing on approaching and reaching the target.

For slamming into other vehicles this would be set to “None”.

At this point, the AI is still a work in progress but it is looking promising.

BusterTheWizard likes this.
  7. simdan000

simdan000

How long will the 50% sale last? Please answer. Thank you. :)

8. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Just here to say Ian has been a really great resource here. It's AMAZINGLY easy to get setup with a new track , very much worth the price !

Plus it actually comes with source code unlike another popular racing asset, so when you need to change certain things , that's possible . Thank you !

Ian094 likes this.
  9. Ian094

Ian094

The sale will end on the 19th.

10. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I have to say again I'm loving this asset, but I'll share a word of advice. Make sure your vehicles are aligned properly, the blue arrow pivot needs to be pointed forward. Some of the free car assets aren't set up correctly, and if you use those RGSK won't be able to set it up. As far as I can tell you need to export the car into Blender, fix the pivot and re-import the car into Unity.

Took about 30 seconds to set up a new car once I figured this out.

Happy Racing all !

11. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

@Ian094 Awesome thanks for the info!

12. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, this is a very important step when configuring vehicles. I’ll be sure to highlight this in the 2.0 documentation.

This can actually be fixed in Unity by setting a correctly aligned empty gameObject as the parent of the misaligned object.

To fix a misaligned wheel, for example, these would be the steps to follow:
    1. Select the wheel in the hierarchy
    2. Focus on the wheel (press the F key)
    3. Create a new gameObject (CTRL + SHIFT + N)
    4. Drag the wheel into the new gameObject
    The new gameObject will have the correct alignment/pivot and can now be used as the wheel.

This is a quick fix and doesn’t require leaving the Unity editor.

13. egem2015

egem2015

Hi Ian again from very very old friend,

How are you? How is your health?

i hope you are good. I have to say , it is strange but almost i gave up from mobile development with your absent.

Because your asset is my favorite and it is very simple and i covered up everything.But you know the control system was strange and i was waiting v2.0 for very very long time. But Your absent broke my will for mobile.I bought a lot of new assets from store But none of them was success for me and i was not happy with them 100%.

i hope you can come back 100% and you can achieve a working system.

Best wishes my friend.

King regards.

14. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I’m doing well, thanks.

I understand RGSK 2.0 has been in development for a long time, but the asset has only gotten better. When I look at where RGSK was a year ago, it was nothing compared to what it is now. As I have improved as a developer, so has RGSK.

It’s very important for me to deliver a good product with this update. I have been working on each individual part of the kit with care, making sure that everything works well, and that there are no interdependencies between systems or game-breaking bugs. I really want developers to be able to use each system freely without having to worry about issues from other systems. The idea is to not force everything to work in racing environments - I understand that some developers may want to make a free-roam type game without touching the racing system at all. The architecture of the project is what I’d say has taken the most time.

Comparing it to the beta version, the workflow has greatly improved. Scriptable Objects are used a lot for globally shared settings as well as to define race types, race tracks, vehicle manufacturers & models, and more.
    RGSK 2.0 is by no means a small project even considering that some features have been dropped to speed development. We’re approaching release and I’m excited to announce when sometime soon. There is still a tonne of planned features after the initial 2.0 release so RGSK will only continue to grow.

I appreciate your patience and your wishes for this asset.

Thanks.

15. egem2015

egem2015

i am happy that you are good. Health is most important thing and other things are coming after. When you are ready i know that this asset will be ready.

i suggest to everybody who is thinking to buy a race asset. this asset is the first asset in the store for making a race game.

Because i bought every race asset in the store and this is the best for me.

Ian is a good and supportive developer and loves this asset.

keithsoulasa and Ian094 like this.
  16. simdan000

simdan000

Will this be okay and easy enough for my 13 year old son? He has been only coding for about a week, and wants to make a racing game with your kit.
    Thanks.

17. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

So far I haven’t had to touch any code at all and I’m having a great time with it . If you have a coding background and can help that would be best .
    Keep in mind the asset doesn’t come with any track builder or terrain generation , so you’ll have to buy additional assets for that

simdan000 likes this.
  18. simdan000

simdan000

I didn't buy this yet, but is it possible to add more cars like bugatti or something without coding? That's what my son really is curious about.
    Thanks! :)

19. simdan000

simdan000

Also, I know almost nothing about coding. My son is really into coding, although he is a true beginner.

20. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

For this asset you don’t need a coding background, but eventually you’ll probably want to add extra functionality which will require code .
    You can definitely add new cars , the asset comes with a helpful utility for that. You can get very far with using the asset as is . My personal workflow is RGSK , Easy Roads Pro and Gaia Pro( basic is more than enough to get started ).

Below are my various thoughts about Unity in general, which are not specific to this asset :

Unity Learn is free now which is a great resource for getting started . No joke I learned programming with Unity and was able to build a 6 figure career . It does take TIME though . It’s not something happens over night .

Don’t be tempted by visual scripting tools , while they may make things a bit easier, you don’t build any real skills.

Best of luck, if you have a relative with a coding background this will much easier.

Ian094 and simdan000 like this.
  21. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Still loving the beta!

Is their an easy way to limit a cars max speed.

For example, if a player is driving on mud and their acceleration should drop, how should I do that ?

Edit : I'm running into issues on Android, even after minimizing all my textures. The driving is very jittery, anyway to fix ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  22. Ian094

Ian094

You can do this using the surface profile settings.

The “Damping Rate” value should be increased for surfaces where acceleration should be slower. A value of 3 would be good for off-road surfaces.
    Have you checked the profiler? This could be related to the number of triangles in the scene or maybe even post-processing effects.

23. sharkmerry

sharkmerry

Any chance of the 50% off sale coming back anytime soon? I missed out :(

24. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Cool, can the damping rate be changed at run time for a single car, say to simulate your tires losing pressure.

As for performance , I'm going to run it on a 865 phone tonight, I'll let you know what happens.

25. Ian094

Ian094

Not anytime soon, unfortunately.

26. Ian094

Ian094

Not exactly. If you wanted to do this you would have to override the WheelCollider’s damping rate value in the VehicleWheel component.

27. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  28. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Sorry for the super late response.

I have experienced some jitter with Cinemachine before but was never able to pinpoint the cause. I guess it has something to do with framerate.

I'll look through the Cinemachine thread to see if there is a fix.

29. Ian094

Ian094

30. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Thanks for getting back to me , I switched to a different camera solution for now , but this is good to know

31. wilxr

wilxr

Hi, is there any news about the final version or a new beta? I think it's been something like 3 years of waiting. It's an excellent project I think it will be worth the wait. I still have many ideas to implement. Greetings.

32. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm checking back in as well. It's been several years now and I was hoping a release would be close.

33. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, I’d say we’re pretty close to a release at this point. Most of the systems are in place and I am happy with how they work and interact with each other, however, still need work.

As I mentioned in a previous post:
    I believe the update will be worth the wait. Some features have been dropped to speed up release, but I will add them one by one after the update release. Each update after the initial 2.0 release will be small. Huge updates take too long and can be overwhelming.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  34. jaimorjaria2099

jaimorjaria2099

Hey,
    Is there a tutorial for setting this up with RCC? Also does this work with Photon?

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

There is no official video tutorial on how to setup RCC in v1.1.0, but it is documented.

There is no Photon support. Multiplayer is in the roadmap though.

keithsoulasa likes this.
  36. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Any ETA on a final release, or at least a near complete beta.

I plan on doing a major refactor and I'd prefer for 2.0 to be out before I do

37. Ian094

Ian094

I still can’t give an ETA at this point, there are some challenges that I am trying to overcome and I can’t tell exactly how long this will take. As I previously mentioned, we are close to a release and I will be sharing a lot of the features and improvements here soon when I am ready to do so.

If what you are working on is urgent, then feel free to refactor the code to fit your project’s requirements.

38. Ian094

Ian094

The update will include several naming conventions in the race standings:

Full Name - displays the competitor's full name
    First Name - displays the competitor's first name only
    Last Name - displays the competitor's last name only
    Initials - displays the first character of the competitor's first name followed by their last name.
    Three-Letter Abbreviaitaion - displays the first 3 letters of the competitor's last name in uppercase.

Each race standing board includes its own "entry prefabs" which can be configured to display any of the conventions listed above.

Here's a showcase video:

Ategian and keithsoulasa like this.
  39. toto2003

toto2003

cool, we can even pick a flag country? looking forward the version v2

40. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

It would be cool to add the flag to the car. I did that for my game, but I am sure it could be done in a better way than I did.

41. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, countries can be defined. The only data a "Country" contains right now is its flag sprite.

By default, all countries have been defined.

In the case that your project only requires to use a set number of countries, then it is possible to define only the countries required.

42. Ian094

Ian094

This can be easily be done through a custom script attached to a competitor's prefab that gets the competitor's nationality and assigns the country flag to a given renderer's material.

I will probably add this as a built-in livery feature.

keithsoulasa likes this.
  43. sonicviz

sonicviz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

44. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all!!!

Wow! I just got an alert for this thread... I hope RGSK v2.0 does get released eventually!

To complete my racing game I looked to another asset (Arcade Car Controller), and I managed to release my game, here's a couple of links of my game in action.

Thanks to RGSK v1.0 for giving me the inspiration to create and complete a racing game all on my own! :)

Here's app store links, the game is free, and no ad's, just a small fee for multiplayer.
    Apple App Store and Google Play Store

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  45. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well done, that looks great. Will have a try with it later on after work. So this Arcade Car Controller had all of the features you needed? I cannot find a forum thread for this asset. I need to know if I can use my own custom rolled physics with this system.

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  46. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks @JamesArndt! I believe you can use your own car physics, join his Discord server for assistance!

The asset is available in Lite, Standard, and Multiplayer versions which enables you to try the Lite version and upgrade etc...

As I say it worked for me, and I managed to use it to complete my game in 6 months just working evenings in my own time!

JamesArndt likes this.
  47. derkoi

derkoi

This looks great, thanks for the heads up. Some of us here might get to complete their racing game projects after all!

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  48. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I also used a few other assets from the store to help me complete my racing game!

Arcade Car Controller Multiplayer
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/arcade-car-controller-multiplayer-155209

Toon Racing
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/land/toon-racing-102727

Toon City
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/urban/toon-city-88379

Toon Vehicles
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/land/toon-vehicles-85104

Toon Nature
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/toon-nature-assets-162380

Megafiers
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/mega-fiers-644

Photon PUN 2+
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/photon-pun-2-120838

Auto Fence Builder
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/level-design/auto-fence-wall-builder-23201

Ship/Yacht Collection 1
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/sea/ship-yacht-collection-1-51473

Ship/Yacht Collection 2
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/sea/ship-yacht-collection-2-51476

LowPoly Water
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/particles-effects/lowpoly-water-107563

Turbo Switch PRO
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/turbo-switch-pro-60040

Ramp Brush
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/ramp-brush-2393

Allsky
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/textures-materials/sky/allsky-200-sky-skybox-set-10109

Cruise Ship
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vehicles/sea/cruise-ship-156831

BuildReport
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/build-report-tool-8162

MountPoints
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/mount-points-16318

TerrainFormer
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/terrain-former-20052

AdvancedPlayerPrefsWindow
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/advanced-playerprefs-window-7070

EasyMobile
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/easy-mobile-pro-75476

49. magique

magique

50. amirgame197

amirgame197

hi
    im using rcc and trying put ik character on rcc car
    how to do it?