Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Hello friend, thanks for the help, but I have already done this and still this error continues. I do not know what else to do.

Hug.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  2. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Hello friend, thanks for the help, but I have already done this and still this error continues. I do not know what else to do.

Hug.

blakeysal likes this.
  3. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Loving the BETA of RGSK, as the other vehicle physics integrations aren't yet available in the BETA, I have been playing with the RGSK builtin vehicle physics and have managed to get some good results similar to what I have achieved with RCC. The IK driver is a nice addition, I see there is an animation controller for a bike rider, but I can't find the actual rider 3D model? would love to get a bike up and running with a rider leaning their leg out when going around a corner! :)

Ian094 likes this.
  4. Redar

Redar

Is there a way to make ai drive side by side. Because they are driving like a train, in a line...

5. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

No multiplayer support in the initial 2.0 release.

Multiplayer will be my main priority after releasing 2.0 as I have mentioned here several times.

Sure, like I said, I will try to support as many vehicle physics assets as I can. I cannot promise that I will support this one in the initial release version but somewhere down the line for sure.

Thanks.

6. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your support.

The AI in v1.x.x were designed to only detect other race competitors (i.e gameObject with the Statistics.cs script attached). Therefore, dynamic obstacles are something the AI in v1.x.x can not detect.

The AI in the imminent 2.0 beta release are far much improved. The AI are able to detect more than just other competitors. Currently they detect any object in the "Vehicle" or "Obstacle" layer and are able to maneuver around the object.

There is no comparison between the AI in v1.x and v2.0. As I have improved as a programmer, so has the Racing Game Starter Kit.

Prefab likes this.
  7. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

This was merely a thought that crossed my mind after reading the post that I replied to.

I understand that there are many things to be considered when renaming an asset and I would only rename the asset if it becomes necessary, else, RGSK is great! :)

8. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that you're loving the beta version, the next beta build will have many more improvements. It will pretty much represent the final 2.0 release.

I was using animations from the asset store for the bike rider hence why there is no animations in the animation controller.

Unfortunately bike physics will not come back for the initial 2.0 release as explained in this post:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/v2-...eate-racing-games.337366/page-27#post-3392641

Thanks.

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

No, the AI follow a particular line and only veer from the line in an event where they want to overtake another vehicle or avoid an obstacle.

I don't have you on the beta list so I assume that you are using v1.x.x. I will be dropping support for v1.x.x shortly after 2.0 goes live.

If you would like to take part in beta and get accustomed to the direction in which RGSK is headed, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

10. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

OK, thanks for the heads up, however I have just found out that SportbikePRO has been depreciated from the Asset Store!!! :eek: Fortunately, I do own a copy of the asset! :D

11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Also, just found a comment on Boris's SportBikePro Youtube video from a month ago saying that he is rewriting the asset in C#, so it will be available in the Asset Store again soon! ;)

Ian094 likes this.
  12. Emile97

Emile97

ow ok ok I see. Thank you. Hum, You said your asset was going live before 19th right or will it be late?

13. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Has anyone successfully added their own custom physics (not just the supported packages) for the beta yet?

Greg-Bassett and Emile97 like this.
  14. Arts-Apu

Arts-Apu

Any updates?

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  15. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

I got the beta working with my physics and my vehicles. It was surprisingly easy. Now I am just having an issue because the steering is so touchy that the AI swerves crazily right and left at the beginning of the race before smoothing out later. I assume this has to do with the steering sensitively but changing the values does seem to make much difference. Any tips?

Emile97 likes this.
  16. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Last time I was here was early May waiting on V2 beta release. It's now just about June. How are we looking for release timeline here? Could I get an updated Unity package file for the beta? Mine is really old as of now and it looks like there are delays again on the V2.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Emile97 likes this.
  17. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

The second beta build will be available sometime within the next couple of hours, I'll post an update here when it's available.

Sorry again for the delay, I haven't been around for a while.

The current state of the build is incomplete, most of the features are in but still need polishing. The workflow is the main thing I aim to improve as it's a bit wonky right now.

If you will take part in this beta, I really want to hear your feedback. Please dont hesitate to let me know your suggestions, whatever they may be.

As with the last beta build, the documentation is very shallow due to time constraints but feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. Also, it wont be possible to update from the first beta version so keep that in mind.

Some known issues with the new beta build:
    For those curious about vehicle physics integrations, I will have a go at integration either tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

There's still a significant amount of things to clear up before 2.0 can be released on the asset store so we will see a much longer beta period unfortunately.

Special thanks for those who are actively taking part in beta, I'm confident RGSK will be a solid kit by the time the beta period is over.

Thanks.

18. Ian094

Ian094

19. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Just downloaded the beta version and will update here after using it for some time.

Emile97 and Ian094 like this.
  20. Ian094

Ian094

I did a RCC v3.2b2 integration for those interested in trying it out.

Integrating vehicle physics mainly requires you to:

1. Create a script that reads input from the RGSK Input Manager
    2. Create a script that implements the AI interface to send input to the vehicle

The first pass at the RCC integration is not 100% complete but does all the important bits.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like a copy of the integration.

Thanks.

21. Ian094

Ian094

The race track provided in the beta demo scene is courtesy of Race Track Generator.

The entire track was created in just one click!

Race Track Generator is definitely an awesome asset and I look forward to see where it goes in the future.

22. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

PMing you now...

23. autobotlongarm

autobotlongarm

Why do vehicles fall through a track unless they respawn 4 times? Like the track collision works, it's just that once you respawn, you will fall through the map and into the void forever.

24. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

What version are you using?

If v1.x.x, ensure that the track collision mesh is set to the "Ground" layer.

25. autobotlongarm

autobotlongarm

I'm using 2017.3.0f3 64 bit. I managed to get the surface tires to work, however it still clips through the ground when I respawn. But could you screenshot on how to set a ground layer?

26. Ian094

Ian094

I meant RGSK version but I assume that you are using v1.x.x because this doesn't happen in v2.0 beta.

Check out this tutorial about Layers:

Take note of what he does from 0:20.

Thanks.

27. autobotlongarm

autobotlongarm

Ohhh I see now. I didn't see the layer button, I just thought it was to set collision. Thank you!

28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Huge congratulations to @Intense_Gamer94, v2.0 of RGSK is looking absolutely amazing!!! v2.0 is most definitely worth waiting for, I know you've had some things in your life side track you from your asset, but honestly the results of your hard work are shining through, RGSK v2 is going to be fantastic!!! :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  29. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks for your support! :)

AbhishekRaj and Greg-Bassett like this.
  30. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

I second all of Greg's comments, it's going to be an epic asset well worth the wait.
    congratulations.

Regards

Greg-Bassett, AbhishekRaj and Ian094 like this.
  31. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Just imported the downloadable package into 2018.1 and there are some errors. I've seen these in other packages too that aren't supporting 2018 yet. Looks like Unity changed the mouse input events to start with an uppercase "M" vs. the lowercase "m". I went and did "Find and Replace" in Visual Studio and it cleared all errors. So I will continue to test and report how this is doing in 2018.1.

Discovered some new stuff when I opened the demo race scene. Looks like some input settings didn't get imported. Not sure what the layers error is about and it appears something is going on with the Legacy-Diffuse shader applied to the artwork.

Okay so this seems broken in 2018.1 and I know there isn't official support for the latest Unity version. I am going to drop back to 2017 and import into that version and test from there.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  32. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll be looking into this shortly.

For the second error regarding input and layers, please ensure that you have updated the project settings. Navigate to "Window/Racing Game Starter Kit/Update Project Settings" and extract the files into your project settings folder.

33. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Can confirm it's working beautifully in 2017.3. Project settings issue was resolved by importing your Project Settings .rar file into the project. A few minor issues I noticed playing through the demo level. The car camera is clipping out the far end of the level, most likely due to the far clipping plane of the camera being too short. Basically just not drawing all of the track in at far distances.

The second issue I noticed was quickly switching between replay cameras was usually producing a "glitch" effect as the cameras switched back and forth. I think as the camera switches from one position to another it renders a frame it shouldn't somewhere between.

I've made a video to show both of the issues:

34. Ian094

Ian094

1) Yeah, that's a far clipping plane issue. Select a virtual camera under "Vehicle Cameras" in the hierarchy and in the lens settings, increase the far clip plane.

2) I think whats going on here is as you're switching vehicle targets, the other vehicle just gets in range of another track camera causing a double camera switch.

Thanks for the feedback!

35. SaadSerious

SaadSerious

Hey,im thinking of buyin this asset but the only problem is i want to use cinemachine and stuff basically 2018.1 and im seeing that people are having some problems when they import the package into lastest versions,Can u please tell me when are u going to add support for latest unity version??and this is the best asset for racing game on the asset store just by checking out this forum

36. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

Cinemachine is the camera system used in RGSK 2.0 so no need to worry about that.

The issues with 2018.1 should be fixed by tomorrow.

By the time we are out of beta, all issues will be resolved. I plan for the initial release to support 2017.4, 2018.1 and higher.

Thanks for the kind words by the way.

JamesArndt likes this.
  37. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Cinemachine is awesome! I noticed it looks like you've removed the Menu System. Are there plans to include the menu system in the beta or the initial release?

38. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, Cinemachine is such a good camera system! I was trying out the track & dolly earlier today for cool replay shots and it really spiced up the replay, making it so much better to watch.

About the menu system, I plan to have an add-on for RGSK as explained in this post:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/v2-...eate-racing-games.337366/page-30#post-3490992

AbhishekRaj and JamesArndt like this.
  39. Ian094

Ian094

So I just tested on Unity 2018.1.0f2 and I don't get any errors whatsoever.

I only got a prompt to update scripts API when importing the asset.

From the screenshots you posted, I see that you are using the preview packages - maybe those could be causing the issues? Seems unlikely though.

SaadSerious and JamesArndt like this.
  40. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah I just created a default empty project in 2018.1.0f2 using the HD pipeline and those were what I saw by default. Didn't touch anything. Most likely it's an issue with the HD preset maybe? I've checked your code it doesn't use the latest API's for the some of the input events like the mouseUp or mouseDown. They changed the naming for those. As a side note I do not automatically update APIs when I import packages that might have conflicts as doing this can create unoptimized code in spots. I usually run that API updater manually, but didn't think to as I assumed your code supported the latest naming structures. Thats most likely why you dont see those errors and I do. You can't assume every user just automatically clicks the auto API updater so that it repairs the outdated code. I never use the auto update to fix the code for me because I want to know exactly what was wrong with the code in the first place.

As for your race track shader and material, it's still broken, but I feel like thats an incompatibility with the new HD Render Pipeline preset in 2018.1. It has to be some conflict with that aspect, there is nothing unique or unusual about my local set up here and I didn't change or touch anything in the project. Clean empty project, imported in the beta package and that's what I see. Only difference is I'm using that new HD render pipeline.

41. Ian094

Ian094

Ok, then I suppose the shader issues have something to do with using the HD render pipeline and the console errors because of not running the API updater.

JamesArndt likes this.
  42. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes. I think it might actually be the new HD Render Loop in 2018.1. Looking into it appears the new HD rendering system uses new unique shader types and there is mixed support for the Legacy shaders from the much older Unity versions. People are reporting older materials like the Legacy ones are not supported in the same way any longer. This is due to the new way that Unity is moving towards doing rendering in the engine itself (scriptable rendering pipeline).

As for the code, if you don't run that "code repair" API thing the errors in the input aspects of your code will cause asserts in the console as you can see in my above screenshots. You'll just have to fix those and it should work fine without the pop-up warning to update the code.

I was trying to repair the camera "frame-glitch" bug for the RGSK replay cameras, but no success yet on that.

By the way, the new features in the HD Render Pipeline for materials is OUTSTANDING! Look at this list (it's pretty much everything we dreamed of in a universal material).

• GGX with Metal & Specular parametrizations, similar to current Standard shader.

• Anisotropic GGX (Metal parametrization)

• Sub-surface scattering & transmission

• Clear coat

• Double sided support

• Good specular occlusion

• Layered materials (mix & mask inputs of other materials, with up to 4 layers)

• Heightmaps either via parallax or displacement tessellation

• (later) Built-in LOD cross-fade / dithering

• (later) Hair, Eye, Cloth shading models

Ian094 likes this.
  43. Ian094

Ian094

I just confirmed this.

JamesArndt likes this.
  44. SaadSerious

SaadSerious

A really noob question,Should i wait for the 2.0 update to release OR should i buy the asset ,ryt away??the thing is i've nver worked with premade asset templates so im worried that whenever 2.0 comes out it will create some problems with my existing project and have to redo some stuff Or maybe im completely wrong

45. Emile97

Emile97

good question... me personally i'm still waiting , and while i wait i code other stuff

SaadSerious likes this.
  46. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah okay cool, I didn't dig back in the threads enough. You know maybe you could even work with the folks who make Easy Main Menu and do a collab kit for this?

47. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I recommend waiting for the update.

The 2.0 update, even as a beta version, is such a big improvement from v1.x that there's really no point in using v1.x.

There are still quite a few areas that I need to work on and improve before releasing the update. I can't say for sure exactly when we will see the update live on the asset store but lots of progress has been made and we're rapidly getting there.

SaadSerious likes this.
  48. Ian094

Ian094

This could be a possibility, I don't know much about Easy Main Menu so I'd have to check it out first. The menu system I have in mind for RGSK is pretty detailed, accommodating most of the things you'd expect to see in a racing game menu. The idea is to create a menu system that is adaptable to a wide variety of racing games.

49. SaadSerious

SaadSerious

Hmm,Ok then ill wait for update 2.0 by that time ill work on the GDD and Game assets,im really excited for 2.0 and i hope to see it go live soon, best wishes from me.

Ian094 likes this.
  50. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Quick question, in the demo scene for v2.0 b2, how do I enable mobile controls? I have looked at the Input Manager but cannot see anything to change the input type from keyboard to mobile tilt etc... I can manually enable the mobile UI elements, but they don't work, and the input is still via the keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

JamesArndt likes this.