Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

2018.1 was in beta for quite a long time and I'm confident of it's stability. I installed it yesterday and I can say with all the new features, it's much better than 2017.x. I didn't download the beta so this is my first time using 2018.1 and its awesome!

I said I may only support 2018.1 and higher but I think the best approach would be to support Unity versions from 2017.4 and higher. During the next beta, I will test both versions to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues.

I'm currently testing out RGSK 2.0 in 2018.1 and haven't run into any issues so far. There's a high chance that v2.0 will use Cinemachine for the camera system and the new package manager in 2018.1 ensures that you can get all the latest updates.

Greg-Bassett, Emile97 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  2. Ian094

Ian094

I will try to support as many vehicle physics assets as possible to give RGSK developers a wide range of vehicle physics to choose from.

The vehicle physics define a racing/driving game so it is crucial to give developers more options than just the default physics.

But as I mentioned before, I will only support the ones that are supported by their authors. I wouldn't want to support an asset that I didn't write with absolutely no support from the author.

Emile97 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  3. Emile97

Emile97

:D:D:D the one I just shared is still supported by its author. the 1st version of his kit was released on 27th April with unity 2017.3.1; I Mailed him about a future update for 2018.1 and compatibility stuff, he hasn't answered yet. But i guess I'll definitely use it .

AbhishekRaj and JamesArndt like this.
  4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm glad you feel confident in 2018.1, but that doesn't speak for all of your customers out there. There is good reason Unity has put 2017.4 into the LTS program "The LTS stream is for users who wish to continue to develop and ship their games/content and stay on a stable version for an extended period" The reason they came up with this is because of the backlash they had been getting for a long time for coming out with buggy new releases. Yes it may appear stable up front, but over time you find an annoying major roadblock in a bug that hasn't been patched yet. In all of the studios I've worked we never were installing the latest releases of software unless it absolutely had a feature our game couldn't be made without. We always stayed on the latest STABLE and proven release. 2018.xx is not yet proven, of course not counting the beta period. I mean production proven with a full release version. It's a brand new release and we'll have to see what issues pop up. Here is Unity's page for Long Term Release Support:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Notice the versions on this page. You're telling me you "may" ignore these versions entirely and skip them?
    And for those that don't know how to find it, here is where you can find the current Unity Editor bugs for 2018.1 and other versions:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/pr...1&category=&view=hottest&unity_version=2018.1

I'm obviously not happy about the possibility of not supporting a major LTS release that Unity will be supporting for years. I have no intention of moving over to a brand new Editor version in 2018.1 no matter what fancy features have been added. After it's been patched a few times and the issues get ironed out I might consider it in the future. I honestly can't see why this package would be dependent on a specific Editor version like 2018.1, why not make it very modular and versatile so these Editor dependencies are less of a thing?

Emile97 likes this.
  5. Emile97

Emile97

he answered and confirmed the compatibility with 2018.1 :p

ah! I Knew it; you have a lot of experience :D I will not update to 2018.X also. You made me understand something that I was messing ..

6. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It is a bit soon for me to make hasty decisions on what Unity version to support.

From previous RGSK releases, I've come to realize how much people prefer using older versions of Unity and you pretty much just summarized why.

In it's current state, 2.0 works normally in Unity 2017.2 and 2018.1 so editor dependency is not really an issue at the moment.

I will aim to support both Unity 2017.4 and 2018.x on the asset store.

Thanks.

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's not so much that developers "prefer" to stay on older versions, it's a software development paradigm that's been common in our industry for a very long time. Professional developers will stay on a version that has been proven for at least a year or two years, to ensure there are no "unknowns" that can cause production to completely halt. Unity is also used by a bunch of non-professionals in a hobby capacity or one-man studio situations and in these scenarios you will see these individuals downloading and installing the very latest Editor or beta release. They don't have as much on the line as the studios working commercial products that are utilizing a team of individuals. Now most studios won't stay on a version that's legacy and not supported currently by the vendor, but in this situation 2017.4 is a core current version that Unity will support for multiple years to come (I believe at least 2 years).

You also have a ton of mobile developers who use Unity because it is still superior to other engines in it's support for mobile development. We're yet to see how the new rendering pipelines will impact mobile development. Yes they have lightweight pipelines, but we'll have to see once studios start shipping games using those new pipelines what the issues might be. Maybe it turns out they aren't as "lightweight" as the rendering tech in 2017.xx versions. This was absolutely the issue when folks moved from 4.6 into Unity 5.0. Unity 5.0 had some performance issues that degraded performance on mobile platforms, so a lot of studios hung onto 4.6 and 4.7 for games in production. They kept using these until Unity said they would no longer support them. At least now with the LTS releases, Unity has met this problem head on and is giving security to use versions that aren't the latest beta releases.

user099, AbhishekRaj and Ian094 like this.
  8. mitis

mitis

Intense_Gamer94 hello i pay you asser can you send me beta version 2.0

9. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Hello, Ian, how are you?

When will version 2.0 be available?

Hug.

10. magique

magique

What about 2017.1?

11. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I'm great, thanks.

I'm almost done resolving the issues I was tackling earlier this week so It will be available pretty soon.

12. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I skipped Unity 2017.1 but I suppose it would work just the same.

The asset store doesn't allow you to download an asset on a higher version of Unity so should I submit 2.0 with Unity 2017.4, developers using 2017.1 wont be able to download and import it.

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I would suggest maybe giving offline support through a web site that users of 2017.xx could import a package and use at their own risk...kind of like the current V2 beta. Were there any core changes to the API or anything that would break 2017.4 to 2017.1? I know the Asset Store likes to lock packages to versions, but hey it's their rules. I've imported Angry Bots from either Unity 3.xx or 4.xx into Unity 5.2 and 2017 and it works! I would be willing to test RGSK against 2017.1 or so.

Also from my earlier post about upgrading to the latest and greatest things. So Unity came out with "Unity Hub" not long ago. I track my memory usage and processes on my workstation all of the time as a power user who's a bit obsessed with squeezing performance from my machine. I found quite a few processes running in the background all for Unity Hub itself. I looked into it and came across this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/multiple-processes-open-using-large-amounts-of-memory.529607/

I've since uninstalled it because honestly it didn't bring much more to the table at least for me. Not worth all of the extra background memory being consumed by it.

Ian094 likes this.
  14. Ian094

Ian094

I think offline support for older versions of Unity sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. The Racing Game Starter Kit will get a website shortly after 2.0 goes live.

I don't believe there are any API changes that would break 2017.4 to 2017.1 but again, I wouldn't really know for sure unless I test it.

Ah, I didn't know that about UnityHub, I don't have it installed so I haven't come across this issue. UnityHub is still in beta if I'm not mistaken so I guess these issues will get resolved somewhere down the line.

Mayureshete and JamesArndt like this.
  15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Cool not a bad idea. Let me know if you need any help or assistance with the website aspect. I'm an HTML and CSS design guy as well. I can point you in the direction of a decent web host as well.

Ian094 likes this.
  16. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, will V2 support NWH Vehicle Physics, just wondered as I might grab a copy whilst it’s part of May Madness sale, add it to my collection of vehicle physics assets!!! I got em all

17. Ian094

Ian094

It definitely will.

I can't ensure that I will add support for it in the initial 2.0 release but most definitely somewhere down the line.

NWH Vehicle Physics is awesome, great work from the developer.

Greg-Bassett and AbhishekRaj like this.
  18. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It seems like it is better to just support everything on the asset store only. Having to keep "semi-private (use at your own risk) builds" level support of older unity versions can be very time consuming. Even if you say use at your own risk with limited support available the expectation is still there for full support. It will get worse because people might ask for can you build in this configuration or that additional configuration since you are posting builds. Then you almost get into the arena of providing custom builds for developers. The only thing someone has not asked for yet is on-site 24/7 support.

If someone who is beta testing RGSK 2.0 currently can find some issues in the older unity 2017.x versions you can add them as fixes unto the 2017.4 to solve those those issues in older unity versions.

I think it is easier to stick to the unity versions you provided 2017.4 and 2018.x originally. Unity 2018.x is going to very busy with all of the support issues that will come from the large changes Unity is making. Unity is breaking things in 2018.x on purpose so it is going to be a busy time providing workarounds.

Ian094 and JamesArndt like this.
  19. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I simply need this package to work in 2017.xx. 2018 is unproven and I'm already starting to see folks posting up about bugs and issues. No doubt over time they will fix these, but I stick to long term stable releases. I don't work in bleeding edge software releases for anything (it's just not a smart way to work). All I'm asking for is 100% support for 2017.xx. Basically exactly what this guy said last week on the forums (the only LTS releases now are the 2017.xx series) :

Ian094 likes this.
  20. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

My only objection is to the "private unity builds" on a website idea. Agreed on the 2017.4.2 LTS. That seems like the only 2017.x release (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-lts-release-announcements.529171/) worth supporting.

Ian094 and JamesArndt like this.
  21. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

65A8EDB9-EFB6-43E3-B468-A3F479FE41F4.jpeg 41C4239A-8C03-49E9-8477-05493BD9CEC1.jpeg Just ordered one of these for my Birthday!

What better chair to sit in to develop racing games with RGSK!

22. Coray_Designs

Coray_Designs

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am making a racing game for a college project and I am having some issues with my wheels on my vehicles. I have several cars on my game and they all exhibit similar issues where the wheels are separated from the car body and spin oddly. I have reset and repositioned the wheel colliders and transformers but nothing works, I have gone over the code and all looks ok. I have attached a video so you can see what I am experiencing. I would appreciate any help and support available.
    Love RGSK, it has made my project a lot easier.

23. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

To me, it looks like an issue of wrong orientation of the wheels. Now a days, many artists create models with wrong orientation and developers have to suffer because of this.
    You can either contact the author of the particular 3D model to correct this or if you know about graphic designing, then you can do it yourself in one of those graphic designing softwares.

Ian094 likes this.
  24. Coray_Designs

Coray_Designs

Many thanks for your quick response. I have gone over the car designs in CAD and have checked and modified the tires and reimported into unity, however, has had no effect on my cars. Many thanks for your suggestion, really appreciated.

25. Emile97

Emile97

The orientation of the wheels are wrong... Do you export it as an fbx? Sometimes I get this bugs with my cars when I don't export in fbx... (I don't know why).
    Plus why is the frame rate on your Mac so slow.? Which Mac are you using??

26. Emile97

Emile97

Hum that makes me wonder..... I was planning to use RGSK 2.0 on a MacBook Pro, for a small game... I never had issues (drop in fps) with any asset I've imported. Is RGSK that ressource heavy or is that something else with Coray's Mac? :oops:

27. Coray_Designs

Coray_Designs

Hello, I am using a MacBook Pro 2015 i7 with 16gb ram. I have exported all of my modules as fbx's and I have always had the wheel issue however one car after a lot of tinkering did line up the wheels but they did not spin but the car skidded around (that's how far I have been able to get and am unable to repeat the steps as I have forgotten them). I think RGSK runs really well on my laptop, I just have to keep it in low graphics when I am testing the game but when I export the game it will run about 80fps

28. Ian094

Ian094

Just as @AbhishekRaj suggested.

This is an issue with the wheels pivot points.

There's this asset on the asset store that should be able to fix this for you in the editor:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/112883

Track505 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  29. Ian094

Ian094

That's awesome! I've been meaning to get one of those chairs myself. Far much better than a standard office chair :)

Greg-Bassett and AbhishekRaj like this.
  30. Ian094

Ian094

RGSK 2.0 should run well on any given platform. I've been profiling pretty much every step of the way.

I'm hoping to get feedback on different platforms during the next beta build to understand how RGSK 2.0 performs on platforms other than Windows. Currently, I've only tested on Windows 10 and Android as these are the only platforms I have access to at the moment.

Emile97 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  31. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

So I am almost ready to release the next beta build, I only have a bit more work left - editor scripting, final code reviews, project cleanup, minor bug fixing etc. I'm really looking forward to getting everyone's feedback on the new features and improvements.

I have come to the decision that RGSK will no longer include a menu system by default. I feel that a menu system with vehicle buying, customization, track selection, currency, etc just goes beyond the scope of what RGSK is meant for.

I believe most people are interested in RGSK mainly because of it's core features i.e the racing system and AI so I think that is all that should be included.

I think having a menu system as an add-on (a separate asset available on the asset store) would be the best way forward. The add-on I have in mind wont be a simple generic menu but a very extensive one.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading!

32. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Eagerly looking forward to it.
    That sounds like a nice idea. Instead of focusing on too many things, just focus on the core stuff and leave the menu system as an add-on asset:)

Ian094 likes this.
  33. Emile97

Emile97

Humm let' see. You called it racing game starter kit right? So just because of its name.... I think that at least a simple menu (only car and track selection for example) shall be there. And that's only because of the name of your asset: the name include "starter kit".

But your idea of making a separate menu system is really interesting. So I would suggest a really simple menu for RGSK (very very limited) and then you make a separate asset.

BTW can we have a changelog of v2.0 please? I'm curious about what is new

34. magique

magique

I agree with this, but I would like to see it as a modular component within the asset so that it isn't tightly coupled to the core code. As long as that is the case then it can be used if needed or removed with no issues.

Emile97 likes this.
  35. Emile97

Emile97

I haven't seen his code yet, but as far as my understanding goes and based on all his previous answers to different questions, I think that his codes are modular....
    That's also why he can make a decision of not including a menu system at this particular time (when the release date is getting close). But that's just a supposition...

36. Max1982

Max1982

Hi
    Maybe I am the one person who think it is a not good idea.
    If there will be another addon, I will think about refund.

Unless the separate new package will be a gift for people who already bought the RGSK v1.0. This is a good idea.

37. Max1982

Max1982

I know that there are assets where the publisher adds free updates and lot of cool features. New features should be incentive to buy by new customers. Do you know what is competition in trade? Today there are many cool assets with vehicle physics in the asset store, and free unity car physics. RGSK 2.0 without menu, car selection etc., but with support only unity 2018. for me is not worth to pay the current price in asset store.

38. Emile97

Emile97

Ow I forgot... It'
    compatible from 2017.3 or 4 I guess.

39. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Remember when I said the racing game 'starter kit' is becoming more of an engine ;)
    For all I know, the asset may be renamed to Racing Game Engine.

Anyway, we will see a simple menu screen to navigate through the features for when potential buyers want to test it of course, but nothing extensive like previous versions of RGSK - It just doesn't seem fit in my opinion.

I will work on a separate menu system as an add-on for those who want it. Here we'll see all sorts of features such as vehicle buying, customization, track selection, option menus, unlock systems etc

This will most probably come after 2.0 is live on the asset store because I really want to take my time on this add-on to make sure the menu system is well made.

I'll post the changelog here in a while. I want to wrap everything up with the beta build first.

AbhishekRaj, blakeysal and Emile97 like this.
  40. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I understand that some developers (both beginner and long term) find the menu system very useful but i'd rather have a well made menu system for RGSK as a completely separate asset.

I was thinking about it the other day and it just didn't make sense to me to include a fully functional menu system in the asset. RGSK is not a template, but rather a tool for creating racing games.

Who knows, the menu system add-on may find itself in RGSK one day.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  41. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Sorry that you are not happy about the add-on.

Due to all the work that will be put into the add-on, it wont be free. I think $10 seems fair.

As I mentioned earlier, RGSK 2.0 will not only support Unity 2018.x.

AbhishekRaj and blakeysal like this.
  42. Ian094

Ian094

Some developers will like the idea of having a menu system add-on,

some developers wont like the idea of having a menu system add-on,

and some developers wont really care.

AbhishekRaj, blakeysal and Emile97 like this.
  43. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Finally started testing my race game with BETA 2.0, quick question the different vehicle physics integration folders are empty except for a readme placemarker file, do the integration packages from v1.1.0a work with v2.0 BETA? I want to setup my vehicles using RCC.

44. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

None of the vehicle physics integrations have been done yet.

I'll be looking into adding the vehicle physics integrations with the next beta build.

AOEIII150 and blakeysal like this.
  45. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Ok, could you do RCC first please! ;)

Mayureshete, Ian094 and blakeysal like this.
  46. Prefab

Prefab

Hi @Intense_Gamer94 , I have purchased v1 and am playing around with a few things to get a feel for this asset. I would like to know what is the best way to add some dynamic obstacles to a race track? I have placed a primitive onto the demo track but unfortunately the AI is not detecting it and having trouble avoiding it. Do I need to set obstacles to a particular tag or add a specific component to them? I have tried the obvious one like "Opponent".

Also when placing spawn points in line as oppose to a staggered start, I am finding that the AI in the middle begins to "panic" and collide with the vehicles to either side of it. Are there any settings I can adjust to make the AI continue more naturally until there is an opening?

47. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Can anyone help me with the error that happens in this beta, as shown in the attached image.

Attached Files:

• erro.png
      erro.png
      File size:
      194.5 KB
      Views:
  48. blakeysal

blakeysal

Ian094 likes this.
  49. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Why rename the asset just because you changed some of the features for the new 2.0 release? There is no real benefit in that. Then you will have to change all the documentation, namespace in code and support links. All possible references will need to be changed to reflect the new name. Make sure it is in the FAQ on why the name was changed for those who do not visit the unity forums and know about this discussion. Then you will spend a large amount of time explaining why is 1.0 called this RGSK and 2.0 is called RGE.

Also when it comes to upgrading in the Unity Asset store I do not know how much of problem that is when performing upgrades when you have changed the name of the asset.

Do you really want to spend all of this extra effort on renaming the asset?

Ian094 likes this.
  50. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Have you updated the project settings? Please update your project settings with the one provided in the demo and report here.

Ian094 likes this.