Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. aaaaabbbbb

aaaaabbbbb

YOU ARE A GENIUS. IF YOU ARE JUST ONE PERSON. YOU WILL BE A TOP DEVELOPER IN ASSETSTORE. THANKS FOR GREAT ASSET.

I KNOW IF YOU KEEP WORKING LIKE THIS THIS ASSET WILL BE 100 $ .

and i hope you can add a motorcycle soon.

AND MAYBE IT S A WEIRD SUGESSTION BUT IF YOU HAVE A INTEREST CAN YOU MAKE A SOCCER GAME?

thanks for everything again.

2. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it :D

Motorcycles will be added for sure. I'm already working on the physics. I'm guessing v1.0.7 or v1.0.8 will introduce motorcycles.

I actually haven't haven't thought of a soccer game kit but I will definitely consider it.

Thanks.

3. Max1982

Max1982

Hi, I have question, when I run demo scene I have number or signs on the screen. It doesn't look good. It dissapear after few seconds. Bug? ;(

4. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, are you using a mac?

I've noticed this with mac users. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is at the moment but I'll resolve it once I find a fix.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Justice0Juic3 likes this.
  5. Max1982

Max1982

Ok, I use Windows 7 64 bit.

6. Ian094

Ian094

Try disabling the Screen Fade image in the Canvas. This should be a temporary fix.

What version of Unity are you using?

Thanks.

7. Max1982

Max1982

Ok, but where I find Screen Fade option? I use 5.2.1f1

8. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @Max1982 ,

Under the Canvas :
    screenfade.png
    I actually use a lower version so I guess it's a bug that happens with 5.2.1

I will post a permanent fix here once I find one.

Thank you.

9. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hello!

I just bought this asset yesterday and I am very happy and impressed with the Kit. The scripts are all very neat and very easy to tweak.

I am using UNET for my project, and I have to fix the way players are spawned, since UNET is the one who takes care of that. I thought I'd ask here first to know if anyone has done that implementation with this kit. If not, I'll do my best to find a way, and if I do, I can post it here if it helps.

Cheers!

Also, I am having the same problem as @Max1982 , if the screen fader is activated, something that seems like a font atlas appears on the lower left corner. I'm using Windows 10 and 5.2.1

10. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, thanks for your support!

Currently the kit does not support multiplayer but it will definitely be included sometime in the future.

I will get 5.2.1 and resolve this issue. I will post a fix here.

Thanks again for your support!

11. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

I've solved the player spawning on UNET. It's a first step towards making the system work across the network.

To solve the spawning issue, I needed to let the Network Manager spawn the players, but still have those players registered in the Race Manager. So I made 2 functions that took parts from the SpawnRacers() method. One for getting the spawn point, and another one to register the player.

They look like this:

public Transform ProvideStartingPoints (int playerNetID){
    spawnpoints.Clear();
    //Find the children of the spawnpoint container and add them to the spawnpoints List.
    Transform[] _sp = spawnpointContainer.GetComponentsInChildren<Transform>();
    foreach(Transform point in _sp){
    if(point != spawnpointContainer){
    spawnpoints.Add(point);
    }
    }
    //Assign the Player Spawn Point is related to its NetworkInstanceID
    if(playerNetID > spawnpoints.Count) {
    Debug.Log("All Race Spots Are Full");
    }
    else{
    playerStartRank = playerNetID;
    }

// startingNetworkRacerPoint.position = new Vector3(spawnpoints[playerNetID].position.x, spawnpoints[playerNetID].position.y, spawnpoints[playerNetID].position.z);
    // startingNetworkRacerPoint.rotation = new Quaternion(spawnpoints[playerNetID].rotation.x, spawnpoints[playerNetID].rotation.y, spawnpoints[playerNetID].rotation.x, spawnpoints[playerNetID].rotation.w);

return(spawnpoints[playerNetID]);
    }

public void RegisterNetworkRacerOnRaceManager (GameObject networkRacer, short playerNetID) {
    RankManager.instance.RefreshRacerCount();
    StartCoroutine(Countdown());
    SetRacerPreferences();
    }

I'll need to do a whole lot more to make the system manage the races properly and provide each client with the proper information, but It's a nice example that it won't be too hard to do. Or at least I think it won't.

Ian094 likes this.
  12. Ian094

Ian094

@Max1982, @Alberto Mastretta and anyone-else who is having this UI issue :
    To fix this, simply assign a Sprite to the ScreenFader image under the Canvas.

13. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Thanks! Makes sense.

14. aaaaabbbbb

aaaaabbbbb

Hi again.

I am really seeing a geneius in unity.

Because I bought a lot of things from asset store But I couldnt have seen that easy changeable and functional asset like yours.

you deserve any appreciation.

now i suggest another game if you can do i will buy it and i know you can.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/46412

like this game.

you are very good at racing games.i saw this.

can you do a game like in the link? and not 100$:). maybe 50$.

because this is a risk and nowadays ads are not giving so much.

thanks in advance.

15. Max1982

Max1982

16. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll most probably create a kit like this in future.

Thanks again for you support!

17. Ian094

Ian094

Hey everyone, v1.0.6 has been submitted for review and should be live soon.

Here are some features :

Additions/Changes :

• Checkpoints race type
    • Currency, Reward & Unlock systems
    • EVP support
    • "TimeCheckpoint" Checkpoint Type for Checkpoint races
    • Force Wrongway Respawn option added to RaceManager
    • Improved efficiency with RaceUI script (Panel activation not called every frame)
    • Improved menu script
    • Pause & Respawn buttons added to Mobile UI prefab.

Fixes :

• Fixed a minor issue with ProgressTracker.cs that would throw errors on Start.

Thanks.

18. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hey @Intense_Gamer94 . I was wondering if you could give me some tips as to how to tweak the AI anticipate turns a bit more. I've adapted it to my physics, which require cars to have slip angle that's a bit high for a physically realistic car or at least similar kind of vehicle. This car is not realistic, and cars tend to need a high slip angle in order to go fast enough on the corners. Right now, the AI tries to stay very aligned and straight, which makes it significantly slower than human players.

Do you have any suggestions as to how this could be tweaked?

That's the first idea that I believe would help it drive faster and compete with humans better, the other one is this one:

I've noticed that the behavior as it is right now, looks similar to what would happen if you had the car being pulled by a string attached to an object that is moving around the AI line. Similar to a skater being pulled by a car. It goes wide in corners, since it has momentum still with it, and doesn't steer enough to make it follow the AI line closely.

I've adjusted this in a way that makes the car stay on track, by increasing the steer sensitivity and playing around with required speed and caution levels.

But the basic behavior is still the same. It stays on track, but always running wide from the path that it should follow.

So both these things are the ones I believe are preventing the AI from going fast enough for my game. I am not sure which one to fix, since either one would change the way the car steers, so for now I just need to fix one.

If you had some tips as to how these things could be tweaked, I would appreciate it immensely.

Cheers!

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Does your racing system make it easy to hook up an alternate input system? For example I would prefer to use Rewired rather than the Unity Input system. From my quick search I did not find any external documentation so I am not sure what is provided in that area.

20. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

One way of resolving this would be by reducing the "lookAheadForTargetOffset" distance in ProgressTracker.cs . You could make this var public and find a value that you like. This would make the target closer which may reduce the "skater being pulled by a car" behavior that you mentioned.

Another way of fixing this would be by tweaking the "maxWanderDistance". This will determine how far (laterally) the AI will follow the path. If you activate gizmos in the Game View you will you see a grey sphere, that's basically the how far the AI will travel from the path(laterally).

Yet another way would be by checking your path. It's important to set it up in a way that's some what "strategic". For example, around corners, the nodes should be towards the inner part of the road. This would result in more competitive AI.

The AI will be greatly improved in future versions.

Thanks.

21. Ian094

Ian094

Hey, I've never actually used Rewired so I can't tell how difficult it would be to use it with this Kit.

This Kit uses the default Unity input. I believe with a few tweaks to how player input is handled and any other input system can be used. Player vehicle input is all handled in one script.

I will look into adding full support for alternate input systems in future versions.

Thanks for your interest.

22. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Thanks for your tips! I had actually made those variables public already and they did a lot of improvements to my AI.

All those tips are good, I hope they work well for other people too. This morning I managed to get a lap that was even faster than my own laps, and what I did was to make the AI go closer to apex on the fast corners, but not on the slow ones.

Before, I just had a line that would optimize the distance in every corner, so it went close to the apex on slow and fast turns. Now I only adjust it on the mid to fast ones. That way on the slow corners it doesn't cut the track, and on the fast ones it doesn't miss the apex. This also allowed me to return the "Look ahead distance" again, since it's not causing me so much problem now.

Things are working well. Thanks!

23. Ian094

Ian094

I'm happy to hear that!

I will be working to improve the AI. They will soon have difficulty levels so you can choose whether the AI vehicle will be a rookie, professional, expert etc.

Thanks for the support.

24. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

That sounds amazing, thanks for the heads up! Just out of curiosity, do you have any plans on implementing alternate AI lines for things like pit stops, or has anyone done something like that already with the system as it is now?

25. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, I definitely do have plans to do this. Some features to expect are pit stops, racing line, starting grid and more.

I'm not sure if anyone has already done this with the system as it is but because the system is pretty easy to use and extend, I think there's probably someone who has.

26. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.6 is now live.

27. Soulature

Soulature

Thanks for the quick updates on this asset. Nice job on keeping it flexible. Picked it up a few days back when I saw the EVP integration on deck. Am updating now to .6... anything special I need to know or docs on setting up for using EVP?

Cheers

28. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, thanks for the support.

There's not much involved. Currently, all you need to do is import the .untiypackage in the "EVP Support" folder. This will basically make all the necessary tweaks to support EVP.

29. Soulature

Soulature

Okay thank you... I'll check it out.

30. Soulature

Soulature

Let me apologize for my remedial knowledge... with that out of the way, would it be possible for you to post maybe the corresponding bullet points of the process flow for implementing the EVP integration or maybe a video post from scratch for EVP? Maybe listing your normal work flow then highlighting the step omissions and or deviations from the default to integrate the EVP work that you have done please? Ive worked from your default setup steps to setup previously just fine... But am having some challenges with the EVP hybrid. I think some of my confusion resides on the use of the vehicle controller and what to skip relating to omitting the new car wizard... Many thanks in advance.

31. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @SlowRideGames ,

After importing the "EVPSupport.unitypackage", all car configurations will have to be done according to EVP and not the car setup wizard (this will change in a future update).

There's a video on how to do this here.

After configuring your cars this way, you will need to add some components to the cars :

-Statistics.cs
    -ProgressTracker.cs

-OpponentControl.cs (for AI only)

Additionally, you will need to tag the player car "Player" and the AI cars "Opponent".

Hope this helps.

I will make a video tutorial that covers this soon. Meanwhile, check out the tutorial videos.

Thanks.

32. Soulature

Soulature

Thanks so much for the quick reply on this.

33. Ian094

Ian094

Hey everyone, v1.0.6b has been submitted. It includes a minor fix for the current version and a few new additions too.

Happy Haloween!

34. Soulature

Soulature

IG94,

Sorry if this is a dupe post... Could have sworn the last msg posted...
    Any chance of getting a sneak peek at the change log for .6b? Any EVP changes?... Am still facing some challenges on Frankensteining the two... I have no problems starting from scratch for either asset, bit integration is still eluding me. I am running a Mac with the latest unity version.

Thanks

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hey SlowRideGames,

There aren't any changes to EVP in v1.0.6b.

Integration is actually quite simple :

• Import the EPVSupport.unitypackage found in the Other/Vehcile Physics/EVP Support folder.

After this, all the necessary tweaks would have been made to the system to support EVP.

You can now use the kit as normal but with EVP.

• Just remember :

Please check out the "Custom Vehicle Physics" section in the documentation.

Let me know if you encounter any more problems.

Thanks.

36. Soulature

Soulature

Thank you for the update and info as always.

37. Soulature

Soulature

FYI... Am up and running now. I wasn't interested in sound yet... So I hadn't attached audio to my EVP vehicle. Was getting a no object reference for the race GUI gear text... Chased my tail until I realized it needed the audio gear num.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

p.s.... Do you think that you might consider making the non essential gui elements optional in the race UI? I know I can hide them... But it might be nice to be able to pick and choose which elements I want to display. Obviously no biggie.

38. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I was actually going to do this in v1.0.6 but it slipped my mind. I most definitely will be doing this in the next update tho.

Thanks.

39. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Since all of your input is in a separate file that will make it easier to do. If you allow your inputs to be overridden then it would be easier to hook up alternative input systems without having to make changes to your Racing Game Start kit every time you make updates.

Rewired is very easy to convert from Unity input by the way.

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/HowTos.html#converting-scripts

iRDS is integrating Rewired so I was interested in what you were supporting in that regard.

More information on Rewired is here.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21676

40. javierovsk

javierovsk

Hello. We bought your asset for our race game implementation and it is working fantastic!. It is one of the best plugin for Unity with no doubt.
    Two detail that I can't find. How to put skid sound when the player's car is braking?. The other is how to put some dust fx particles when the car is braking or skidding?. Any idea how to do this?.
    Thank you again for your great work!

Ian094 likes this.
  41. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @javierovsk , thanks for your support!

Currently, skid sounds and particles are only generated when the car is in a drift. Inorder to do this a few tweaks will have to be made to the Wheels.cs component. However, I will include this in a future update.

After configuring your car using the Car Setup Wizard, your wheel colliders will have the Wheels.cs component :

wheelscs.png

If you use surface detection, add to the surface list your textures, skid particle / sound & slip limits. Your car will now generate skid sounds / particles depending on the current texture the wheel is on. Please note that using Multiple Material surface detection is performance intensive.

If you don't use surface detection, simply assign a skid sound, particle and set slip limits to the Non Surface Detection variables and your car will generate these regardless of ground texture.

Thanks again for your support.

42. javierovsk

javierovsk

Thank you again for your fast answer. I checked all the points that you described. I don't know if my wheels script is newest than your screenshot, but in my script there is not Use surface Detection checkbox, under the script name. Please see my screenshot.
    I changed the texture channel from the texture that come with your race track to the texture that come with my race track in all the wheels colliders. When I play with the car ( I'm testing one the models that comes with your plugin, the F1_black), there isn't skid sound nor particles fx. Is there a step that I'm not doing?
    Thank you for your support!

43. Ian094

Ian094

Please update to v1.0.6 for the improved wheels.cs component.

If your race track mesh uses more than one material, use Multiple Material mesh surface detection. This does not apply to terrains so if you are using a terrain, simply check "use surface detection" and assign your surface types.

javierovsk likes this.
  44. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

has anyone got RCC to work with this kit yet?

45. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,

I would like to know. I watched your turtorials .Them look good. But when I try to make it like you did I still have some issues.
    First - mobile button. I tried to add mobile UI to demo scene. And nothing. Only one right arrow in left corner in iPad view, and in free aspect right and left arrow. Where are the rest buttons? There are some bugs with canvas.
    Second I tried to add vehicle like you did. But, when added wheel coliders and hit Configure Car in Car Setup wizard nothing appear like player control, camera switcher and rest scripts.
    Third, no turtorial for menu scene, how to use it? and no mobile button to exit game to Menu scene. Summary Your asset looks good, but why so many bugs? Only I have them? Thanks. I still use Unity. 5.2.1

46. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

1. This is because of the demo scene's Canvas Scaler component. If you create a new Canvas and drag the MobileUI prefab to it, everything should be okay. So, to resolve this, you can either create a new canvas for your scene or rearrange the UI buttons to fit. Here's a tutorial on UI setup.

2. Are you assigning your entire car model and all available wheels to the wizard?
    Also, is there any logged message in the console that says "Car was successfully configured"?

3. I will be making a menu tutorial sometime soon. Meanwhile you can reference the demo menu scenes. It's pretty simple to setup :)

Please update to v1.0.6 if you haven't already.

v1.0.6b is still pending review but It should be live soon.

Thank you.

47. Max1982

Max1982

Hi again,

1) Done like you said. Looks fine :)
    2) I ll try do this today
    3) I added car, and it shows in car select menu, but when I hit play, I cant see it in the race scene. I make car prefabs but still I cant see car in race scene. Please how to combine menu scene with race scene. There are two folders Source and Resource. It complicate everything without turtorial. Thanks.
    Still use 1.06 ;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  48. Max1982

Max1982

I made a car ;) thanks for the patient. But I have question support in priv meesage. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  49. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

All player cars are loaded from a Resources/PlayerCars folder. After configuring your cars, please place them in a Resources/PlayerCars folder. This is so that we can use the Resources class. You can either create a new Resources/PlayerCars folder or use the default one in the "RacingGameStarterKit" folder.

In the menu scene, ensure that the resource name of your car matches the name of the corresponding car in the Resources/PlayerCar folder. See the attached screenshot for the resource name.

Lastly, in your race scene, ensure that you have a data loader - do this by creating an empty gameObject and adding the DataLoader.cs to it. This will handle loading all preferences in to the Race Manager on start.

Attached Files:

50. nrXic

nrXic

Hello there!

I've just finished a little split screen multiplayer racing prototype and I'm happy with it. It's like Wipeout so for that reason it uses a completely different PhysX system (ie. thrust rather than tires). I'm looking at now coding all the other systems to make it a playable game. Things like position, lap counting, wrong way detection, speedometer UI, minimap, racer names...things you already have in this package. Since it is a multiplayer game I won't need the AI, Ghost car, or car wizard...but the price of this package is so reasonable that I'm perfectly fine with that and I'm considering this.

My only concern is that it seems like it was made ground up for one player in mind. Things like having multiple cameras for split screen add complexity to things like the audio engine (another asset package handles that well), and in this case for player names and such. I still have to find out if uGUI is better than nGUI for splitscreen usage. But more importantly it looks like the workflow only supports one player in the RaceManager.

I'm sure I could do some work in tweaking all of this, from the sounds of it all of this is done in well documented C# so for me that's fantastic. At the same time I'm wondering if I should just code all the things that I need, because I already have split screen working well. It looks like the time I invest in fixing this package for my needs might match the time I put into coding a lap system and all the other stuff myself.

That said, this looks awesome and full featured...I am inspired to just buy it and make a traditional racer, but I need to finish my current project first. I will make a decision here in a couple of days, but even if I don't and you are looking for potential features, maybe multiplayer (through splitscreen) may be something to look into? I'm sure people would love to make a Mario Kart like game, split screen is pretty fun with friends. Then again, most people buying this may want to make iPhone/Android racers and so it may not be high on the list of features on demand, which is understandable.