Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Apparently it takes a few days to update the asset description - I think the asset store team still have to review it. I haven't updated any of my asset descriptions in quite some time so I could be wrong.

Sale ends in 3 days, on the 5th.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  2. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Be sure to apply the customization changes and select the vehicle.

Does this happen in the Editor or in a build? If in a build, please let me know which platform.

Thanks.

3. Tulrath

Tulrath

Hi Intense Games,

Would it be possible to create customized vehicles representing bicycles ("racing bikes") using this kit? Is there documentation available online that shows the degree of vehicle customization that is possible?

4. wolfy2

wolfy2

I need to share my story... So i've been using this asset for about 2.5 yrs now...

this is the first game i made http://store.steampowered.com/app/466210/Race__Destroy/?l=polish starting without any knowledge of C#.. (Hey.. remeber me?:D.. i've given you some hard time way back :D ).

I've lerned lots and even made destruction derby AI using this asset :).

anyway my second game was not a racing one...

with 2 yrs of experience i've decited to make Race&Destroy again but this time a good one (hopefully)..
    my current progress:

i've not visited this forum for like 2 yrs now.. not really needed to.. im well into development and like 2 hrs ago i've sit down to tackle multiplayer feature for my game..I visit the forum and?....
    Update 2.0 is beeing reviewed after 8 months in development.... among other features added there will be multiplayer and split screen support...
    Plus nice looking sparks, grass and sand particle effects that im interested in.. .. DEV.....ARE YOU READING MY MIND??.. really!!.. this is beyond just lucky!!. :)
    Thanks.

AbhishekRaj, Mayureshete and Ian094 like this.
  5. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Motorbike physics are actually already included.

Documentation(v1.1.0a) can be found here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe98mz89m0msf8y/ReadMe.pdf?dl=0

6. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, I remember you :)

Your current project looks really good. Awesome work!

I've mentioned here a few times that updating projects from v1.x.x to v2.0 will not be possible but it really wont take much time re-configuring your projects to work with the new update.

Multiplayer (Networked & Split screen) are in the road map and will be introduced sometime after v2.0. Multiplayer support is extremely important and will be my main priority after launch.

AbhishekRaj and Freznosis like this.
  7. Freznosis

Freznosis

I've played the demo quite a bit of this asset and I think it looks great. I'm going to be buying it but I'll wait for 2.0 to be released so I don't have to spend time changing code. I'll be working on multiplayer for this when it's updated as I've been eager to get some actual racing in single and multiplayer. I wanted to ask, did the AI get any changes? Currently they are pretty good but I feel like they brake too much/too early and stick to the line way too much. I read some pages back that there is deviation and some other variables to edit but I haven't seen that at play in the demo. Great work nonetheless :)

8. Ian094

Ian094

The AI have been completely re-worked and I believe they are much better and competitive.

The AI have been the biggest challenge in this update.

The way the currently AI work is that they are always trying to reach the target speed of their targeted racing line node while following a target around the racing line. This is the general approach to racing game AI from all the reading I've done. This method does have one shortcoming and that's when you have multiple classes of vehicles - some vehicles are a lot faster than others so this will cause AI in faster vehicles to limit their speed and AI in slower vehicles to overshoot corners. To counter this, the AI have a speed multiplier value that can be used on specific nodes.

Another approach is to make the AI always try to reach their vehicle's top speed and calculate the radius of curvature around track corners and calculate the maximum speed at which the AI can clear the corner. This is easier said than done so I haven't gone with this method.

When beta is released, I'm hoping for feedback on the AI and other aspects of the kit to see where we can improve on them.

Thanks.

9. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

just throw the beta on the table.. ;)

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  10. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

It's really the best time to pick RGSK if you haven't. At $25, it's a steal.

blakeysal likes this.
  11. blakeysal

blakeysal

I remember the 1st time i got is kit about 2016 i fought another developer out fot the cash with no help at all and i add no knowledge of unity at all. and was i wrong all the help Ian given me was unreal and still 2 this day hes still there for u what ever time of the day he gets back 2 u.and at At $29, it's was a steal then so turst me u cant go wrong. roll on for another 2years mate with ur update V2 mate thanks fall all your help mate and grab it now at its price but then again when it goes u 2 $50 I still buy it if i Know what i was getting then Thanks mate

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Ian094, Mayureshete and AbhishekRaj like this.
  12. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

yea i have bought this asset in jan 2016, not used it for real project yet... but i have been following this thread so i know support is top notch here for this asset. and m almost done with my current project, and my next project would like to go with racing game, nd m so much excited...

Ian094, AbhishekRaj and blakeysal like this.
  13. nukeD

nukeD

Just got it! Turns out its the 12th vehicle physics asset i've bought over the years. I've become a collector of sorts, while searching for a good SEGA racing style physics. I'm also interested in the bike part.. can i tune it to be a little bit like a bicycle (to simulate cross country or downhill)?

Where can i find more info on v2?

Thanks

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  14. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rac...eate-racing-games.337366/page-13#post-2941493

here it is

nukeD likes this.
  15. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Just release the beta version man! We can't wait to lay our hands on v2;)

Ian094 likes this.
  16. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hi
    I configure the car, added a camera and added the input.
    How can i move the car?

17. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Based on your selection of Input Method, you can move the car either by mobile controls or by desktop controls.

Ian094 likes this.
  18. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Everyone,

Sorry again for the delay of v2.0 beta. Due to several reasons, I didn't manage to put as many hours as I wanted into the update last week thus meaning that I lost a lot of development time.

Over the weekend while testing the AI on different race tracks, I found a few issues that need fixing:

1. The AI sometimes exceed track limits
    2. The AI dont always get the correct size of the AABB when attempting to avoid/overtake a vehicle on track.
    3. The AI fail to consider surrounding vehicles when returning to the racing line - making them seem mechanical.

These are the issues I'm trying to tackle before I can finally get beta released!

I know beta will sort of be like an 'experimental' version of the asset but its important that it is somewhat polished to make it usable because I understand that some people want to kickstart their racing game using v2.0 beta.

19. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Please check your email.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  20. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Hi! I saw that you put your asset on sale and so I had to put down my other project and jump into my hovercraft racing game. Using my engine with your assets was straightforward, but I wish that the Car Controller wasn't one big script. I would make it easier for people using alternative engines to break it into to multiple scripts that wor
    k together but could also be made to work with other scripts from other engines. For instance, I cannot use the wheel colliders (no wheels on hovercraft) but I would like to use the crash sounds, steering wheel, speedometer, nitro, possibly steer helper etc. I guess I can try to separate the functionality on my own, but that would cause a problem with updates.

Also, the I can't seem to get the AI working. The hovers just sit there.

21. emonironauta

emonironauta

Anyone tried to adapt this asset to virtual reality ? I'm not sure if is hard or not but it would be interesting to bring this funcionality .

22. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

So what kind of time frame are we looking at now? By end of this week perhaps?

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  23. Mr_Dss

Mr_Dss

Hello. What do you think about car damage system (like in RVP 2.0 for example)?

24. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. It's been a busy week.

Yeah, this was one flaw with v1.x.x. Unfortunately, the vehicle controller in the update will also be in one script but scripts such as nitro and slipstream are completely separate.

Have you updated the OpponentControl.cs script to support your vehicle physics? There's a section in the documentation that goes through this.

25. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I havent gotten a chance to try VR yet but some people here have. Check this post:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rac...eate-racing-games.337366/page-17#post-3083150

Once I get my hands on a VR headset, I'll be sure to work towards adding VR support.

26. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Getting beta released as soon as possible is my priority at the moment.

I don't want to get anyone too excited but we'll see.

Thanks for your patience.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  27. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

I think vehicle damage will be a great addition and will soon be introduced.

In order to have a damage system, the replay manager will need to record vehicle damage too.

Depending on the type of damage system implemented, the damage can't be recorded like other values such as position, rotation and velocity. It will need events set at specific frames to indicate how much damage the vehicle had before and after the frame.

For damage systems like in Edy's Vehicle Physics and Realistic Car Controller, I think recording vehicle damage every replay frame would be overkill.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  28. Mr_Dss

Mr_Dss

Damage in Edy's physics and RCC is not so good because it's just mesh deform. In Randomation Vehicle Physics it's couple of mesh deform and joints system. It would be awesome if you could make something like this.

29. Ian094

Ian094

A damage system will be in the works soon after v2.0 goes live.

antoripa and AbhishekRaj like this.
  30. AOEIII150

AOEIII150

Hi Intense Gamer

Can You give the beta access to anyone in this thread when it's available?

Make us a Christmas gift :D

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  31. obstudio

obstudio

Topic is now getting so hard to read, because every 5 posts there is a begging about alfa/beta access etc. I'm waiting on update just like you all guys but I'm sure that when it will be ready author will publish beta version or mybe final one. Do you really need to see product with lot of bugs but in beta version? Meanwhile you can focus on preparing your tracks, models and enviro for your dream game and let the RGSK to be last part that will be implemented on your game.

Freznosis, blakeysal and JamesArndt like this.
  32. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

While I agree to most of your thoughts, I think that RGSK is not the last thing to be implemented in the game. RGSK plays a crucial role in the game logic itself and one can't deny that.

Regarding the current state of the beta, the publisher himself has stated that v2.0 beta will be an 'experimental' version and it will be further improved. Also, according to his posts, it is quite evident that the work is almost complete. So, the excitement among us is reasonable.

AOEIII150 and Atzig like this.
  33. Arts-Apu

Arts-Apu

Here is a screenshot from our upcoming game for iOS and Android. I am waiting for version 2.0 for improvement of this game. Can anyone come with a solution for car shader??

Cover.png

34. Atzig

Atzig

I really don't think the topic is hard to read at all. Some of us have been waiting for a long time for this update (I've been waiting since 2015 for sprint races) and we're all very eager/excited/anxious to get our hands on it so we can move forward with our projects with a greatly improved set of features and I'm sure the author is just as eager to get it released. So, yeah, I'll take a pile of bugs in a beta version.

An inexpensive solution for a car shader: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25140

Ian094, AbhishekRaj and AOEIII150 like this.
  35. Arts-Apu

Arts-Apu

I have tried almost all car shaders in Unity Asset Store. But none of them are very much useful. Can anyone help me get a shader which will use Cubemap rotation depends on car speed?

Like CSR Racing??

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  36. magique

magique

I'm not sure about the technique you are referring to, but this asset looks the best. It has a couple of negative reviews, but based on the actual review and author response I'd say it's worth a look.

Pro version:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/directx-11/car-paint-pro-76361#reviews

Lite version:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/directx-11/car-paint-lite-20422

[EDIT]
    I looked further and it seems they only recommend it for high end workstations so I don't know if it could be used in a real-time game. Sorry.

[EDIT 2]
    Looks like the Lite version can work even on mobile so maybe worth a shot.

37. Atzig

Atzig

Those links are broken.

38. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Agreed. I wouldn't even ask about V2 if it weren't for the developer announcing he is "just a couple of lines" from beta release two weeks prior to today. Then we get another announcement that beta release would be last week by end of the week. The developer keeps talking about an imminent release and then pulling the rug out from under all of us waiting. My track models and vehicles are already done. I'm waiting on the beta release of V2. It's going to have edge case and most likely obvious bugs at release under any circumstance. Just the way software works.

Ian094 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  39. magique

magique

Might because you are on old store? Anyway, just do an asset store search for Car Paint - Pro and Car Paint - Lite.

40. magique

magique

No offense to the author and I love this asset, but there was a time over a year ago when he told me version 2 was 2 weeks away. So, I'd just wait until it's done and try not to worry about it.

Ian094, AbhishekRaj and JamesArndt like this.
  41. Atzig

Atzig

Probably different regions, I don't know.

42. Freznosis

Freznosis

Everyone here knows how game development is. Thing's happen and situations change, it's not completely unheard of in the world of programming. The whole gaming community already has a mob mentality against developers and their games.. we don't need to have a mob mentality amongst fellow developers. Let the developer do their work and you guys do yours. I'm more than positive you guys have other stuff to do that doesn't rely on just the racing aspect of your game. I know I have 1 million other things to do at the moment, and I will have a million more to do when the update to this asset is released, but in the meantime focus on other stuff. Come on now guys, this is a professional forum, act like it.

Atzig and Ian094 like this.
  43. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I don't think that we are unprofessional at all. Most of us who are eagerly waiting for v2 have already completed the 'other' works such as creating models and racetracks. You can't simply release a game only containing models and racetracks. We don't have a mob mentality against any developer simply because we all are developers but there should be a definite time frame especially in the case where some people are waiting from even one year.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  44. Ian094

Ian094

Hello Everyone,

I understand how everyone may feel and it is totally reasonable. v2.0 has been in development for a very long time.

My initial vision for v2.0 was a lot bigger than what it was a few months ago hence why I keep working on it to make it better.

All the support I've given in v1.x.x has made me realize the issues that people are having and all the areas that need improvement.

The goal is to create an asset that will help developers make high quality racing games in Unity. Achieving this goal doesn't come easy, especially when working alone.

Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone for giving release dates I didn't manage to meet.

45. Ian094

Ian094

Beta will be available for anyone who already owns the asset.

The only requirement to get a copy of RGSK 2.0 beta is your invoice number.

AOEIII150 and AbhishekRaj like this.
  46. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

So, when is the beta coming? Will you update the Asset Store with the new version or send beta to individuals first?

47. Atzig

Atzig

Let's be honest, at this point he's probably not sure when the beta is coming. And with all the people complaining about missed release dates, we're probably not going to get any specific dates either.

48. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I was just enquiring about the beta since there is a discussion that the beta is coming this weekend.

If you see his recent post, he has mentioned that he will give beta based on the invoice number so I am not sure if the asset store will be updated or the beta will be sent individually. That's why I asked this.

magique likes this.
  49. facundogalella

facundogalella

I have a little question, is possible use in the current asset the UI info (speed, gear, current lap time) for a digital steering wheel or a LCD? some thing like I did in this game:

PD: I would try the beta too, I have the invoice code close to me lol

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  50. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Yes, I think that it's possible. You just have to place the console at the desired position and then make it move with the car so that it stays at the same position relative to the car.