Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, I agree.

The new camera system already does this so I took some of the logic from there and put it into the v1.1.0 PlayerCamera.cs script.

I've attached the fix below. Download the script and replace it with the one in your project under the "RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Race/Camera" folder.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ian094

Ian094

Like I wrote a few weeks ago, don't worry, we wont need to wait till Christmas ;)

3. Ian094

Ian094

I can't make any promises but I'll try and get a video out showcasing some of the new features. It will be hard to showcase everything in one video because there really is too much to show but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj and JamesArndt like this.
  4. FractalCore

FractalCore

Man, you're a legend!

That works perfectly, thanks.

AbhishekRaj and JamesArndt like this.
  5. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

HI
    It's been a few weeks since your last up date. Just wondered how the de-bugging was going? Do you have a release date yet?

Regards

Mark

JamesArndt and AbhishekRaj like this.
  6. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

even i check this section daily at-least 2 times... :)

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'd be happy just to see some of these new features in a walk through video or something. Any ETA on a demo video on YouTube or anything?

AbhishekRaj and Mayureshete like this.
  8. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Mark,

Lots of progress has been made since the last time I posted. I have managed to resolve almost all the bugs blocking release and make a few more improvements.

A good way to manage your game's vehicles is if they are put into separate classes. Each vehicle in RGSK 2.0 will be part of a specific class that you define. For example, you can put all your sports vehicles into one class, all your supercars into another class, all your hatchbacks into another class etc. This opens up the possibility of single / multi class racing without having to worry about how you will assign different AI opponents to match the player vehicle's specs. The Race Manager has an option for single class / multi-class racing to make this possible. A "Custom" option is also included incase you wish to do things differently.

The workflow of v2.0 will be very different from v1.x.x and much more straight forward. Setting up a scene will add all the necessary components to your scene tidily within a single gameObject as seen below:
    racecomponents.png

Setting up your race track will be more complicated than previous versions but with better results. To setup a race track will require creating a track layout. The track layout runs through the middle of your track and defines the width of the track at a given node:
    tracklayout.png

It serves many purposes and is quite important to setup correctly for every track.

The second thing to setting up a race track is creating the racing line. The racing line is the line the AI follow when they are racing. The racing line is the red line seen in the image above.

Other track components such as spawn positions, triggers, track cameras can all be created by simply clicking where you want them to be, making workflow much faster.

The ability for the AI to take different paths is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. Currently, the AI travel along the middle line at an offset to their starting position during a rolling start then they pick and travel along the racing line once the race begins. This is a step into finally having support for multiple paths and hopefully I can get this working during beta or some time after. Having this feature working would introduce pit stops to RGSK.

Game data in v2.0 is saved using BinaryFormatter rather than PlayerPrefs. Only data such as player name, player nationality, player xp, player vehicle ID, game audio / quality levels are saved using BinaryFormatter. Other "not so important" values such as track/car best time are saved using PlayerPrefs for simplicity.

UI Management is quite different from v1.x.x in that its much easier to work with and much more performant. Events that are triggered when the race order changes or when the player enters a new lap dictate when the UI should update rather than every frame. The UI is just generally easier to work with and setting it up will be significantly faster and less painful.

Having mentioned race events, I'll list some of the events included in v2.0
    • Race Start - when a race begins
    • Position Change - when race order changes
    • Player Position Gained - when the player overtakes
    • Player Position Lost - when the player is overtaken
    • Player Finish - when the player finishes the race
    I think having events like these can be very cool for your racing game. For example, if you want to play an audio clip or an animation when the player overtakes someone or have some fireworks go off when the player finishes the race. It's really all up to you.

Touching again on vehicle management, each vehicle and it's data is stored within a scriptable object. Another scriptable object is used to hold all the vehicle data. This scriptable object has functions to return a vehicle within a class, return all vehicles within a class or return all game vehicles. I think this approach makes vehicle management so much better. Race track management also works in a similar way.

Many many more improvements and changes have been made to this update, too many for me to go through here.

The things I've mentioned are works in progress and could change before we see beta or during beta. I believe v2.0 will be a very big step from v1.x.x.

Thank you.

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I'll see if I can get a video to showcase some stuff this week.

Thanks.

JamesArndt likes this.
  10. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Someone, could help me with a simple script, therefore, I do not understand any programming. Example: When the race is finished, show the result and next to the points of the rider according to their placement, and with that have the race in sequence and accumulating points and the overall classification? and show a next race button.

Thank you all for the attention.

11. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

What you are explaining is a championship. Championships are not available in v1.x.x.

Good news is that the update will have championships so I would recommend waiting.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  12. Cleuton-Albuquerque

Cleuton-Albuquerque

Do you have an update date, Ian?

Hug.

13. Ian094

Ian094

It's hard to give an exact date. Looking at the amount of work left and the amount of hours I put into the update each day, I can say not long.

14. Ian094

Ian094

Hello Everyone,

I posted a video showcasing the replay system in v2.0:

Excuse the poor video quality, I'm not very good at video editing.

Thanks.

derkoi, Atzig, AbhishekRaj and 3 others like this.
  15. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

nice.. is there an option to hide replay tool bar..? like tapping on screen will hide and unhide tool bar BTW video quality is good...

16. Ian094

Ian094

Not currently, I've thought about that and am working on it. A show/hide option will definitely be included in the replay control panel.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  17. Atzig

Atzig

Physics and Ai look so much better man, can't wait for the release!

Ian094 likes this.
  18. Ian094

Ian094

Hello Everyone,

Here's a video showcasing the track surface management in v2.0:

19. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

WOW...!!! car physics Feels really promising. and that drift is real.. ;)

AbhishekRaj and Ian094 like this.
  20. Dark-Muppeteer

Dark-Muppeteer

These updates are looking awesome.

I'm curious if we'll be able to use our own cameras in v2.0 so that we can create VR based games and setup other game types like having RC Car races?

21. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, using your own cameras will be possible. The camera manager only requires you to assign a Camera rather than a specific MonoBehaviour.

Implementing an interface in your camera scripts will be required though.

Thanks.

Dark-Muppeteer and AbhishekRaj like this.
  22. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

can you add a small additional feature of AI car chasing player car....? obv if it wont add too much dev time...

23. Ian094

Ian094

Chase AI is one of those features that I have thought about a lot and will definitely be coming soon after release.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  24. toto2003

toto2003

25. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

i have seen same sort of game released on google play store... but atleast the game u have mentioned have added few buildings... XD

toto2003 likes this.
  26. Ian094

Ian094

JamesArndt likes this.
  27. toto2003

toto2003

here a good example of good implementation of your kit. it plays quite nice and got some really nice feedback.

I still wonder how he manage to got 2 millions view in such short period. the video was release on June 10.

ron-bohn, Ian094, AbhishekRaj and 2 others like this.
  28. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

WoW...!!!

29. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

These destruction derby car games are insanely popular especially in Europe. They call it "banger" racing over there.

30. Mr_Dss

Mr_Dss

What about visual tuning (bumpers, spoilers, etc)?

31. Ian094

Ian094

That's awesome! I'm happy to see that.
    Must have been some very good marketing I guess.

32. Ian094

Ian094

Visual tuning will definitely be a part of the Racing Game Starter Kit. I have this and many other things planned for after v2.0 is released.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  33. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

It is very good to see that lots of progress is going on for RGSK v2.0. Eagerly waiting for the next version.

One questions for all of you out there! How do we switch between accelerometer and arrow buttons for mobile? I am unable to do so. Can anybody help me out ?

Thanks

34. Ian094

Ian094

The menu settings has UI toggles for this. If you are not using the provided menu settings, then set the PlayerPref key "MobileControlType" to "Touch" or "Tilt" depending on what controls you want. When in the race scene, the MobileControlManager will handle the rest based off these values. If you do not have a MobileControlManager in your scene, simply create one as shown in the docs.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  35. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Hi,

Yes, I am using the provided menu. I do have a mobile control manager in my scene. I have set the toggle to use tilt control type but still it is not working. The arrows appear everytime I start the game.

I have attached two screenshots to help you understand the issue better.

Thanks,
    Abhishek

Capture 1.JPG Capture 2.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  36. mitis

mitis

Good asset when finishing ver 2.0 &&&&

37. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I am using the version 1.1 December 2016 because I want to use the menu manager effect of the car rotating by itself and not the custom rotation made in the latest version with the new demo scene

The problems I have are two

1 - The "Paint Car" scene work correctly and you can choose the color, and the painted color is added to player car, but in the moment that player dies or you hit the restart button, the color selected is not maintained. BUT and very important this happens on the iPad ( the unique device we have tested) because on the Unity editor there is no problem, and is kept the player car color correctly, so this weird why it works on Unity and not in iOS iPad?
    May it be something related to Playerprefs or what? Where is stored the chosen car color?

2 - While In the Paint Car scene the green color can not be selected and does not work. I mean that I can only select the first 4 colours

I have correctly configured the colors and the materials for the player cars

if you need any more information or explanation just ask

thanks very much for any possible help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Very close to beta release now.

Thanks.

39. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

1) Colors are loaded using PlayerPrefs by the MenuManager on start using the ApplyColorCustomization() function. Changes made here should persist throughout the game so I am not so sure what could be happening here. Is the selected color maintained when you exit the menu scene to load a race scene?

iOS is a platform that has not been tested with v1.1.0a. If this is indeed a bug, I'll be sure to have it fixed in the upcoming update.

2) Is the color button responsible for selecting the green color set to the correct index in the button's onClick method?

SpaceRay likes this.
  40. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    I have a technical issue on Mac. Sometimes on IOs device and in editor during gameplay shows black screen in few places in the scene. i tested this scene in pc, and everything is ok. Anyone know what it is?

BTW. I hate Mac, agghhh....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  41. Ian094

Ian094

I use Windows so I haven't experienced this before.

Maybe try re-installing Unity or checking out the solution posted here(I think the OP has the same problem):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity3d-5-3-not-working.372682/#post-2415582

Max1982 likes this.
  42. Max1982

Max1982

This is the problem which i have, but I use Mac now, and everything there is so difficult. Everything is deep hide (files and folders). No Program Files etc. Windows is easy to use. But Thanks for reply and post.

43. Ian094

Ian094

44. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hi, thanks for your answer, I have been able already to fix the number 2 about green button myself

I have tested the latest RACING START KIT 1.1.0a is working correctly on iOS 9.35 without any problem using the demo scene included and the select car scene works without any problem.

Thanks for any help

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  45. claudius_I

claudius_I

wow
    look great.
    i want add mini games for my project and this asset is perfect.

Ian094 likes this.
  46. Ian094

Ian094

Hmmm, if v1.1.0a works correctly then I think this was an existing bug in v1.1 that was fixed in v1.1.0a.

Do you have a separate scene that handles color selecting?

JamesArndt likes this.
  47. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

"With v2.0 beta a few days away, I think it would be a perfect time to pick it up if you haven't already!"

Since this was posted on Monday are we seeing release by end of this week then? That would be awesome!

48. Ian094

Ian094

Yep, there isn't much left to do at this point so that's the plan.

I will be sure to inform everyone when beta is available.

JamesArndt, AbhishekRaj and blakeysal like this.
  49. obstudio

obstudio

As it's on sale now, add some important info (also as asset first screen) that soon asset will be updated to next version. It may increase your sale.
    BR

AbhishekRaj and Mayureshete like this.
  50. AsadMehmoodLogicon

AsadMehmoodLogicon

my customized car is not showing as customized car in race scene, its showing the default prefab