Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. toto2003

toto2003

Hi Intense_Gamer94
    i try to integrate RVP 2.0 with the latest version of unity in a clean project, follow the instructions from the doc, i got to rename some input to remove all the warning error, after that i got zero error, add globalcontrol and timemaster and but the cars doesn t move. is RVP 2 still supported?
    any suggestion will be more than welcome.

thanks

2. JohnDraisey

JohnDraisey

Hey, how's it going? Just purchased RGSK, and so far I'm loving it. I'm using Unity's built-in "trail" component to add motion trails, and it requires attachment to a moving game object (like the cars or bikes).

Can you tell me where I can attach Trail components so that each motorbike has motion trails coming off of them?

upload_2017-7-12_13-15-52.png

Thanks,
    John Draisey

3. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, RVP is still supported for v1.1.0. It could be an input issue. Have you tried using arrow keys? By default the BasicInput.cs script uses the arrow keys to control the car rather than WASD.

4. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for the support. There's a big update around the corner.

You can attach the trial component to the bike itself. Drag the prefab into a scene, attach the trial and click apply.

antoripa and JohnDraisey like this.
  5. JohnDraisey

JohnDraisey

Works like a charm, thank you! I started reading backwards through the forum posts, and version 2.0 sounds exciting. I'm all about strong physics and AI, so I'm glad that's where a lot of focus is going.

In case you're wondering, I'm working on an anti-gravity racer and the bike physics seemed like a good starting point.

upload_2017-7-12_15-12-20.png

JamesArndt, Mayureshete and Ian094 like this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I looked as good I could through the thread pages, but I'm not sure if I found what I need to know. Is there a way to possibly reset the player if they get too far off of the track. I did see there is a setting for resetting the player if they are going the wrong way.

Max1982 likes this.
  7. magique

magique

I can't remember exactly what it is, but there is an input key you can press that'll reset the car to the nearest path node. The problem I found with it though is that if your path node is too close to the ground that the car might actually spawn and fall through the terrain and into oblivion. So, be careful.

JamesArndt likes this.
  8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Oh sorry I realized I didn't quite word my request correctly. I need a way to automatically respawn the player if they go too far away from the track...like wandering to explore or something. I have physical barriers to keep them within the track area...but I've found that if the player gets too far off from the track it screws up the race calculations for finishing a race.

Max1982 likes this.
  9. magique

magique

Right. So, I think you can probably call whatever function is being used for the respawn. I just don't know what it is. But it must exist somewhere.

antoripa and JamesArndt like this.
  10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah I think I can track that down. The trickier one will be if any scripts are tracking the player's distance from the waypoint path. For example if the player travels like 20 meters away from the waypoint path, then respawn them at the last passed node.

11. magique

magique

I'm pretty sure it will spawn back at last node automatically with whatever function is being used internally.

12. Max1982

Max1982

Another way is create to boxes collider around the track with OnTriger, with add a respawn function (or script) to this boxes. Anyone know what function should be add? It is not a best idea, but maybe someone can use it.

JamesArndt likes this.
  13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

That's actually a really good idea. Funny how in my mind I come up with an over complicated solution to a problem. It almost always turns out there is a simpler and more straightforward way of doing things!

14. Atzig

Atzig

I'd go with Max1982's suggestion and place triggers around the track and when the player/AI collides with them, call the respawn function. It's much more simple than constantly checking distances on all of your racers.

If I'm not mistaken, it's in the RaceManager script, RespawnRacer or just Respawn.

15. Max1982

Max1982

Hi there,

I need a help. Does anybody know how to make unlock car by player (player should drives through finishline in one scene and then the car will be unlocked in menu, also - after that player may buy this unlocked car.) Summary player may buy the car after unlock it (drive through finishline).

I found this tutorial in Youtueb but I dont know how exactly modify this.

16. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ha ha that's my tutorial. It's pretty old now and I think it's in Javascript. I would seek out some more current solutions. I believe this racing kit has the ability to lock vehicles and customizations.

17. Max1982

Max1982

I was looking for, but without results.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I went back and looked through the documentation. Turns out what you need is being done already within this kit.
    Vehicle & Track Unlock
    PlayerData.cs
    handles unlocking vehicles and tracks by simply setting the vehicles /track name to a PlayerPref integer value of 1. The MenuManager.cs then checks whether the PlayerPref is 0(locked) or 1(unlocked)

19. Max1982

Max1982

Thanks for reply but Im not sure what you exactly mean. I use default lock system for vehicles (where player may buy the car), so I think that I have to add one more (as the reward for player after win the race). But I dont know how to technical do it. I want to do like this: Player may buy the car ONLY if he unlocked the car first ( after finish the race at 1 position).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  20. Thre3ouls

Thre3ouls

Hi Intense_gamer, I want to show you GRAL, what we realized using you racing kit!
    It is a futuristic racing game with combat elements, a tribute to the 90s games such as Megarace, POD, DethKarz.This its just a techdemo preview but I hope you like it!
    Thanks for your support and your very good starting racing kit.

A small trailer of GRAL.

And if you like it enjoy and share the facebook page

Thank you and good work on the new 2.0 release of the RGSK!!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  21. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

That looks really awesome. Super digging he lava levels! You really took this and created something completely outside of a traditional racing game.

Thre3ouls likes this.
  22. magique

magique

Looks nice and I like the concept. The cars seem really slidy and floaty though and not really very fast. If you could fix that then I think you have a winner.

Thre3ouls likes this.
  23. Thre3ouls

Thre3ouls

Thank you magique for your feedback we are working on that with the completely new car controller. Now it's much faster!

JamesArndt and magique like this.
  24. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    What asset did you use to add muliplayer? Did you use asset from asset store?

25. GameDveloper09

GameDveloper09

hi i just bought your package but it did not include off-road scene
    Thank you

JamesArndt likes this.
  26. user099

user099

The off-road scene is not included. The sale page shows:
    The assets in the offroad demo are by
    3D Autosports. You can access all their assets using this link.

Ian094 likes this.
  27. Ian094

Ian094

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for being so quiet on the forums. I've been away for the last couple of weeks.

I managed to make lots of progress on the v2.0 update regardless.

I can't begin to list all the added features and improvements because they are just too many - I sometimes have trouble keeping track of them all. I've still got some work to do so unfortunately v2.0 is not available yet.

If you have any suggestions or anything you would like to see in this update, please let me know. I can't wait for everyone to get their hands on this update and start developing awesome racing games.

Thanks.

28. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Thanks for updating us with the progress!

29. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Hey
    Great to hear V2.0 is progressing well. I've been holding off for the update before I redo my game. Can you just confirm if you have had time to add multiplayer to the kit.
    I know you were talking about including multiplayer in V2.0 when you started the update last December.
    I do feel that the addition of a multiplayer feature is a high priority and although this could be added to the kit by the user it would be a lot easier if it was added as part of the kit.

regards
    Mark

30. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Multiplayer will not be featured in the initial release of v2.0 but it will be my main focus after release. Multiplayer is essential and I will be working hard to get it done in the next update.

Thanks.

magique likes this.
  31. magique

magique

Are multiplayer updates going to break the initial 2.0 release? Or will we be able to develop with 2.0 and smoothly upgrade to multiplayer without breaking our projects?

32. Ian094

Ian094

I've been developing v2.0 with networking in mind so this will be very unlikely.

JamesArndt and magique like this.
  33. Atzig

Atzig

Do you have an estimate for the release date?

34. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

At this point, so much has been done and there really isn't much left to do other than sort out a few bugs. A rough estimate would be up-to 2 weeks but I've been aiming to have a beta release before September and hope I manage to hit this goal.

Thanks for all your patience.

Mayureshete and Atzig like this.
  35. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi,

I'm using the asset in a project, and I'm very happy with this. But I have a little problem with the shadows. In the video you can see a first car without the asset stuff and a second car in the same scene with the asset stuff turned on: the shadows go crazy and this is completely annoying, some one know about this?

I think is a problem with the camera, I tried using the asset Enviro, later a simple directional light (like in the video), I modified every parameter of illumination of Unity and I can't find solution.

36. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Someone had the same problem in this thread:
    Try their solution to see if it helps.

JamesArndt and facundogalella like this.
  37. Arts-Apu

Arts-Apu

A screenshot from our upcoming game. Hope to power with RGSK v2.

Capture.PNG

AbhishekRaj, Mayureshete and Ian094 like this.
  38. facundogalella

facundogalella

Yes, seems like this is the problem!. I hope Unity 2017 have a solution for this anyway, I have another project with bigger scenes...

Thank you!

39. wilxr

wilxr

Hi,

I have many ideas for a game, should I wait for the new version or start already?

40. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

With the new version, you will get countless new features and improvements. Beta is almost ready to go so I would recommend waiting.

Thanks.

antoripa, AbhishekRaj and Mayureshete like this.
  41. wilxr

wilxr

Thanks for the quick reply

42. facundogalella

facundogalella

Well, much better I think!

JamesArndt likes this.
  43. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

When will the Beta Version of Racing Game Starter Kit become available? Hoping that you have added me to the list of Beta Testers.:)

44. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

he mentioned before sep, so it might be in next few days... figures crossed

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  45. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm also awaiting the v2.0 update. I am not sure if I got on any beta testing list, but I would be more than happy to beta test this over and over again.

From any of your own testing so far do you feel like the Android build versions are getting any better performance, or can handle more AI than before?

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  46. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Hi facundogalella
    How did you fix the shadows issue, as i am having the same trouble with a new track I have created.

Regards

Mark

47. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi Mark, I moved the objects close to 0, 0, 0. Anyway, the zones far of this point keep with troubles

48. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Would it be better to release the beta to everyone that has already purchased it before the date of the beta release. then once the bugs if any are sorted release it on Asset Store.

regards

Mark

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  49. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

I would be, as I'm sure others, would be happy to pay extra for a Multiplayer addon. With the amount of work you have put in over the last 8 months on V2 it would be a nice way to thank you for all that work as well as helping guarantee any future updates of the kit.

I'm planning to update my racing game once the new kit is available. Once it is ready it will be a free update to everyone who has purchased my game. Although updating will hopefully generate a few new sales I won't get anything from the 500+ who have already got the game.

I do this as a paying hobby and get the enjoyment of creating games, so the money side of it isn't that important in fact most of it goes on assets etc.

The fact that buying kits like RGST not only saves me a ton of time and allows me to produce games of a much higher standard than I would on my own it also has taught me a lot about coding and game creation. therefore being able to support asset developers it important.

Regards

Mark

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  50. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, that's the plan. The beta version will be available to everyone that has already purchased the kit. I plan to have the beta phase go on for some time so I can get as much feedback as possible and improve on RGSK2.0 even more, because as much as the asset has greatly improved over the last couple of months, it wont be perfect and may still have bugs or other flaws.

Beta is a few lines of code away, hoping to wrap it up ASAP.