Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 BETA] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. DudeInaScarf

DudeInaScarf

As you were saying it does contains more than one.
    Thanks for your answer, the asset is really great!

2. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks.

I'm planning on working on a new update sometime soon.

Lots of cool new features coming soon :)

3. Max1982

Max1982

Thanks.

4. Ian094

Ian094

A version with the menu vehicle / track unlock fix has been submitted.

Should be live sometime next week.

Thanks.

5. DudeInaScarf

DudeInaScarf

Hi again. I want to add notification text for the player, when car is too far away from the last waypoint.
    Could you please tell me where should i be looking for certain variables to achieve this.

6. toto2003

toto2003

hi intense_gamer,
    i was wondering if it s possible to challenge our ghost in timetrial to beat our own score? if not would it be in your next roadmap? as u implement a replay it shouldn t to hard to have this feature.

7. toto2003

toto2003

ah nevermind i just saw it :) it is already implemented! wich is awesome!

8. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The last waypoint of the track can be accessed through the vehicle's Statistics.cs script :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //the last waypoint of the track would be
    2. lastWaypoint = path[path.Count - 1];
    The last waypoint that the player passed is accessed through the "lastPassedNode" variable in the vehicle's Statistics.cs script.

So to get the distance between the player and the last waypoint you could use:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. distanceFromLastWaypoint = Vector3.Distance(transform.position, path[path.Count - 1].position);
    To show a text on the screen you could either use the RaceUI infoText or create your own methods for showing text. Using the RaceUI infoText can be done by calling :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RaceUI.instance.ShowRaceInfo("Your Text", 2.0f, Color.white);

9. Ian094

Ian094

Cool,

Saving / Loading ghost vehicles is something I've been working on and hope to have it included in one of the versions down the line.

Thanks.

10. DudeInaScarf

DudeInaScarf

Hi, thanks for your answers, i found myself using

Code (CSharp):
    1. lastPassedNode.position
    variable

instead of:

Code (CSharp):
    1. lastWaypoint = path[path.Count - 1];

11. Ceremony055

Ceremony055

How can I add my vehicle for shop?

12. Ian094

Ian094

By adding a new element to the "MenuVehicle" list in the MenuManager component.

menuVehicles.png

Drag your vehicle from the hierarchy to the "Vehicle" slot and set all the other values as you want.

Remember that the "Resource Name" has to match the name of the vehicle in a "Resources/PlayerVehicles" folder.

Check out the documentation for more info about using the menu manager.

Thanks.

13. jdial1981

jdial1981

Hey, so I just purchased your kit based on the awesome support here and the reviews. I have tried other racing game templates and have not been pleased with the mobile performance. This one looks much better. Can you possible send me some information on re-enabling the vehicle upgrade system into the project. Thanks!

14. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for the support.

I sent you a .unitypackage containing the vehicle upgrade system from v1.0.9.

Vehicle performance upgrades will be added again in a later version in a much better way.

Thanks.

15. jdial1981

jdial1981

Awesome. Great asset and great support. I have another question. I have installed the RCC physics kit as described in the tutorial. Is there a way to visually verify that the RCC is successfully providing the physics?

16. Ian094

Ian094

Well, once you import the "RealisticCarController.unitypackage" from the RacingGameStarterKit/Other/Integrations/RCC folder, then RCC will be configured to work with your project.

The same goes for the other vehicle physics integrations.

17. jdial1981

jdial1981

Was there a performance reason for using new textures to change vehicle color verses using a white texture and changing color through albedo settings?

18. hottabych

hottabych

Seems like links to web demos are broken :(
    Could you refresh them? I wanna test out bike physics especially.

19. Ian094

Ian094

Not really, the demo vehicle's body texture has got every other part of the vehicle included so having a white texture and changing the material's color would cause other parts of the vehicle to change color such as the headlights and taillights. That's primarily why I used textures.

If your vehicle has one body material and would like to to change its color using the RGB values, feel free to contact me and i'll help out. I've actually done this several times before.

20. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Sorry about that. Seems that google drive hosting doesn't work all the time.

I'll most probably move the WebGL demos over to dropbox. Hosting WebGL on dropbox is a bit complicated but i'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

21. Himanshuchahar

Himanshuchahar

Hi,

Thanks for the great package, your package has made it very easy to create nice and optimized racing game.
    Can you please help me with couple of things
    1. How can we add steering control?
    2. Can we add some traffic using package's AI? (like avoiding accident and taking sharp city turns)
    3. Can I create a parking/transport game as well with the package? (like for bus and truck)

It would be a great help if you can provide some tutorial links for above. Thanks!!!

22. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your support.

1. Currently, only touch & tilt controls are integrated. I will be looking into adding mobile steering control in the next update.

2. The AI will not work very well with traffic. Traffic is actually something thats been mentioned here before and will definitely be looking into improving the AI to the point where they can dodge traffic and all that cool stuff.

3. No, the Racing Game Starter Kit is only intended for racing games. I would recommend getting an asset made for parking games such as Car Parking Kit.

I will be working on more tutorials soon.

Thanks.

JamesArndt likes this.
  23. DudeInaScarf

DudeInaScarf

Hello! It's me again.
    I was interested in this "vehicle upgrade system", can you please send me this package so it can be re-enabled.
    Thanks.

24. toto2003

toto2003

hello

The RacerName.cs component has a bool "Only Show Rank Ahead". Un-checking this bool will show all the racer's names that are ahead

i can t find it anymore since the updates, if i want to display more then one names in front of the player , how can i do that with the latest update?

thanks

25. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

There is a "Display Mode" enum that has 2 options "Only Rank Ahead" & "Always Display".

Select "Always Display" to make the racer name always visible.

Untitled.png

toto2003 likes this.
  26. toto2003

toto2003

work like a charms! thank you!
    i m using your vehicle physics, if i want the car stick to the ground without sliding too much when i go too fast and be able to do sharp turn, what would be the ideal setup? adjusting the wheel collider stiffness? adjusting the physic road material? and adjusting the car setup itself to less traction? i ll be looking more like an arcade race than real sim, any hint would be appreciate

cheers

27. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I second this request on good advice for getting better traction feel for the physics.

28. toto2003

toto2003

as i target mobile plateform and need to optimise for it and run the profiler , i notice there few hickup due the the garbage collector, from what i see it come from wheels component ,would it make sense to pool the smoke , skidmark etc ? gc.jpeg

JamesArndt likes this.
  29. Ian094

Ian094

Increasing the traction in the Car_Controlller component would be the best way to do this. Increasing the brake force value would also help this. Apparently the physic material doesn't actually affect the wheels traction. Currently, physics materials are used to detect the surface by the SurfaceManager.cs & Wheels.cs.

I will definitely be working on this.

hmmm I'll take a look at this in the editor to see how I can optimize it. The smoke particles are only instantiated once, then emitted when needed. The skidmarks are just a single mesh used by all the vehicles in the scene. Again, i'll take a closer look at this to see if I can optimize it.

Optimization is something i'll really be working on in the next update.

Thanks.

JamesArndt and toto2003 like this.
  30. DudeInaScarf

DudeInaScarf

Hi!
    Is it possible to make speedometer needle react on input when starts race countdown.
    I know that the input script component is enabling when countdown reached zero, otherwise it's disabled.
    I just wonder, is there a ways to control needle through input.
    Sorry for my bad english.

31. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

This isn't possible with the current physics since it doesn't work off RPMs with a tachometer.

Vehicle physics is something I am working on improving by making it a lot more realistic so that things like this would be possible.

Your english isn't bad at all :)

JamesArndt likes this.
  32. aaaaabbbbb

aaaaabbbbb

Hi IAN

how are you? i hope you are fine.

i dont want to ask any specific question.

i am just wondering how is going your work? do you have any plan to upgrade this asset or any new asset coming?

because you are one of the best developers in unity.

thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

33. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, there is a new update coming. A very big update.

The Racing Game Starter Kit is being completely re-written from scratch. I am working on completely new vehicle physics and race mechanics.

The vehicle physics will much more realistic as it will be based of realistic values such as torque curves, gear ratios, etc.

The racing system will be greatly improved. This includes the general setup, AI and many other aspects of the racing system.

One of the main things that I am really focused on is performance & optimization. Expect 100% more performance.

I will also be adding new race types, including the Drag race type :)

The next version will be Racing Gaming Starter Kit 2.0

Thanks.

Mayureshete and Max1982 like this.
  34. abdel89

abdel89

Hi nice kit, but the demo links are not wotking

JamesArndt likes this.
  35. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Do you have an estimate (best guess) time-line for when 2.0 will be available?

36. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks.

I'm looking for ways on how to host WebGL on dropbox. Google drive seems to have dropped hosting support.

37. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I plan to have 2.0 finished by January. So far I've managed to write a completely new vehicle controller based on actual values. The vehicle physics will be more on the realistic side but still have a few acrcady features to it.
    The new vehicle setup will allow you to pick vehicle class presets such as Super, Sports, Muscle, Kart, F1, etc making vehicle setup much easier for lots of people.

Thanks.

38. Ian094

Ian094

39. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

I am thinking about buying your kit, but I am interesting in creating a racing game that does not include cars (hovercraft). Would it be possible/easy to replace your controller and physics with my own?

40. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

This would be possible and fairly easy depending on your vehicle physics setup.

The documentation includes a section of how to use your own vehicle physics. A copy of the doc can be found on the first post of this thread.

It's quite funny that you mention hovercraft vehicles because I've had this vehicle physics implementation in mind for a while now.

41. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

I am just using the $5 hovercraft physics package from the Asset Store, but it works pretty well. I used to own a hovercraft so I think it is fairly realistic, but I need to tweak it a bit.

42. aaaaabbbbb

aaaaabbbbb

Hi Ian

Again again thanks for everything.

i am wondering do you have any plan to add an animated driver for bikes?

thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

43. Ian094

Ian094

Cool. Well, my guess is that integrating it wont be a problem but in case you do encounter any problems feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, v2.0 will include an animated bike rider. Motorbike physics will be much better too.

Thanks.

44. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

will 2.0 include multiplayer...? if yes will it support unet or photon....

45. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

v2.0 is still quite early in development so multiplayer is a possible feature.

Multiplayer will use uNET.

46. Felicityinc

Felicityinc

47. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have this very good and well done asset, but I have a problem, and is that I want to use as vehicle physics the Realistic Car Kit. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18421

Is not that your is bad, it is just that I bought this asset already before knowing about this one, and I have built and made new scripts based on the Realistic Car kit vehicle physics, so now I can not change it to yours vehicle physics

I want to know if it would be possible to use others features of your asset but using the car with this other vehicle physics. I have seen the part of the manuals that is about custom vehicle physics but I do not know where to find the needed values and names on the realistic car kit scripts

I have also my own custom AI cars to be used and have my own custom mobile touch controls

Thanks very much for any possible help

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  48. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I can take a look at integrating the RCK vehicle physics.

More integrations will be available with the next release. Some of the other integrations I have planned for the Racing Game Starter Kit are Fun Car Kit and Sport Bike Pro

Thanks.

Mayureshete likes this.
  49. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @Intense_Gamer94,
    I apologize for my dummy question ,.,.I bought your asset and is very impressive.
    Is there any tutorial about how create a new race round from scratch ( I only assume that I have my roads in the scene )
    Thanks a lot
    Cheers,

50. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your support.

You can find a tutorial playlist here :

These aren't updated tutorials so I would recommend reading the documentation.

With v2.0 coming up, I'll be making a new tutorial playlist.

Thanks.

antoripa likes this.