Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. midian808

midian808

Looking forward to the new update - I'm loving the asset so far and I really appreciate the continued support for it; it just keeps getting better :)

Just one quick question: are you still working on the Point to Point race type (not laps) ? If its not on the roadmap for the next version, I'll get wrenching on the code myself, but if you are still working on it/it's "coming soon" I'll hold off - I don't want to have the issue of trying to merge any changes I make into your version :)

2. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for your support :)

Yeah, the Point-to-Point race type is something that I'm still working on. The race type itself has already been fully configured in the RaceManager but there may be a chance that it wont be featured in v1.1.0 because I'm having some issues making the Waypoint spline non looped (I'm pretty new to splines). However, Point-to-Point races will be coming soon, hopefully in the next release if I can wrap my head around splines.

Thanks again.

midian808 likes this.
  3. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

i made a game with this kit for android and adding multiplayer and upgrades is not hard, you just need to do a little programming , and make it your own. check it out its free on play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.victorylane.racing

Ian094, blakeysal and Mayureshete like this.
  4. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

and.... i don't get it, why would you post here just to say you don't like it? just seems mean and pointless.

JamesArndt and blakeysal like this.
  5. lazygunn

lazygunn

So you just attacked software you haven't used?

blakeysal likes this.
  6. danangs

danangs

Hello,
    I try another F1 cars from old version, to new update. everything is fine, except in replay video the wheels not rotate, but in race is rotate perfectly as well. The new cars assets wheels is rotate both on race or replay video. What is anything else that I forget to setup in wheels ?

Thanks,
    Danang
    Absolutely great Unity assets

7. blakeysal

blakeysal

chrisabranch Play your Demo and pretty good and fast on a old samsung s3

and u Teddyazer what a sad problem you got mate do u no Ian has help me form nearly day 1 went i got the race kit for $30 and still to this day i have brought a lot of car kits on there and the developers come no way near close as Ian for help send him a email and he gets back to the same day and if he late tomorrow you cant ask for any better and by the way Teddyazer a lot of features in the kit now r what code he sent to me and then he put it in the race kit for all what does that say to u mate and if Ian brings any over stuff out i will be the first 1 buy it

oh and buy the way have u tried the Racing Game Template on mobile so slow AI crap and i will not be buying for a very long Time my be in about 1years but not now i will stick with what i got

and buy the way u want to see my game on mobile its good and fast and its even better when i am not a programmer but with all the help from Ian has given i no way more about unity than i ever did
    so thanks Ian and keep up the good work

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Ian094 likes this.
  8. Atzig

Atzig

There definitely are upgrades in RGSK. And honestly, adding multiplayer goes a little beyond the scope of a kit, as it could easily be a separate asset. And there are free assets on the Unity store that can help with that anyway.

JamesArndt likes this.
  9. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

Hope @chrisabranch can make an addon multiplayer pack then... ;) it would help a lot.....

10. danangs

danangs

Dear Developer ,

in replay video, the skid mark it shown caused by race, that this is not happens yet on actual race on that time in this replay video. may be next version will be fixed.

Thank you

11. FlyTroll

FlyTroll

Hi, in WebGL project car controls doesn`t work( in demo scene too

12. Max1982

Max1982

Any news about v1.1.0 ;)?

13. Ian094

Ian094

Hey everyone,

I'm currently testing v1.1.0 making sure everything works as it should. After the testing phase, it will be submitted for review.

Lots of things have changed and been improved in this version so remember to back-up your project. Also, v1.1.0 will have Unity 5.4+ support.

The new replay system takes care of this. I've included a function that resets the race values such as skidmarks when the replay starts. You can add more stuff to this function such as resetting vehicle damage, etc.

You mentioned that your wheels don't rotate in an earlier post - this is because your wheels don't have the "Wheel" tag. Note that in v1.1.0 the "Wheel" tag wont be necessary as the new replay system records both inputs & vehicle positions.

Yeah, this is because I hate WebGL and forgot to add it as one of the platforms that PlayerControl.cs can get input from. To fix this, open PlayerControl.cs and in the Update function under "case InputTypes.Automatic:", add :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR || UNITY_STANDALONE || UNITY_WEBPLAYER || UNITY_WEBGL
    This has already been fixed in v1.1.0 because Webplayer has been deprecated. All future demos will be in the WebGL platform.

True, I'm currently focused on single player for the next few versions.

Multiplayer support is in the plans, however, not any time soon. I'll be adding split screen multiplayer followed by networked multiplayer in the coming months.

I hope to get the testing phase out of the way very soon and have it submitted this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

14. derkoi

derkoi

Looks cool. What did you use for the rain water on screen effect?

15. derkoi

derkoi

Just a quick question, i race tracks with different layouts per track, should each layout have it's own scene or is there a way reuse scenes? Thanks

JamesArndt likes this.
  16. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Each track should have it's own scene.

To have multiple tracks in one scene you would have to create multiple RaceManagers then find a way to manage activating each RaceManager to it's corresponding track.

17. derkoi

derkoi

OK, thanks!

18. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

SO, has the 1.1V been submitted.... :D....

19. BlurTimeTeam

BlurTimeTeam

Hi.
    1- Can you add award(money) for winner after finishing the game. With this user have a target, for buy new cars and scene.
    2- If you can add button in ui for pause or main menu....
    3- If you can add photon support for online games....

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I just want to say I purchased your kit and am really pleased with it. I also applaud your patience and intelligent responses to all of the poor grammar and the out-of-scope feature requests. You are a good example for other asset developers.

Ony, Ian094 and lazygunn like this.
  21. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

1. Race Rewards are already included. In The Race Manager, scroll down to "Race Rewards". To add a new Reward Position, click on the “Add Reward Position” button and fill in the fields.When a player finishes in this reward position, the rewards will be given to them.

2. You can create these buttons yourself and link them to their corresponding functions:
    A "Pause" Button should be linked to RaceUI.PauseResume function
    A "Main Menu" Button should be linked to RaceUI.Exit fucntion.

Check out the UI Button tutorial if you are unsure of how to do this.

3. Multiplayer (Networked & Splitscreen) are features that will be added in a future version. Networked multiplayer will use uNET rather than Photon.

Hi,

Apparently not. I've been pretty occupied over the last weeks so I didn't manage to. I'm currently working on fixing a few bugs that I found whilst testing. I'll be sure to let you know when I finally submit it.

Thanks for being so patient.

JamesArndt and Mayureshete like this.
  22. Ian094

Ian094

v1.1.0 has been submitted.

Change log:
    I'll leave a post here when it goes live.

Thanks.

Mayureshete and electronic-brain like this.
  23. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I have just started playing with RGSK after picking it up in the sale a few weeks back, I am trying to use it with RCC which has just been updated to v3.

I have managed to fix all the console errors by changing the car_controller reference from RCCCarControllerV2 to RCC_CarControllerV3.

However, in the OpponentControl.cs script on line 255 car_controller no longer contains a variable called reverseGear, so I have instead used if (car_controller.currentGear != -1) which gets things working, but the Opponent cars start reversing when on the grid and do move forwards when the race starts but sometimes stop on the start/finish line?

Do you have an updated integration unitypackage for RCC v3?

Thanks in advance!

24. Ian094

Ian094

Hi Greg,

Sorry about that.

v1.1.0 has RCC v3 integration.

I also included a Randomation Vehicle Physics 2.0 integration for anyone who bought it in its time on the asset store.

25. Ian094

Ian094

v1.1.0 is now live.

26. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    Cool features in v1.1.0 :)
    It is possible that in next version will be vehicle performance upgrade?

27. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I plan to re-add vehicle performance upgrades in a later version.

If you need any help on vehicle performance upgrades, feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

Max1982 likes this.
  28. derkoi

derkoi

Excellent update! Love the new replay system & menus. I've not done anything but play the demo but like the changes I've seen so far.

What's next? :D

29. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks, glad you like the update :)

There's lots more to come, I'll be focusing on new race types, vehicle types and additional features such weather systems over the next few versions.

30. derkoi

derkoi

Awesome!

31. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

another great update.

I know you have sort of answered this, but whats the time line for multiplayer are we looking at 2 or 3 versions. If so any hints on how to extend it I've been using proton with RCC V3 which has a very good multiplayer setup. however having trouble importing it to RGS 1.1

Many Thanks

32. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks, the Racing Game Starter Kit will get better with each update.

I plan to work on multiplayer within the next couple of months. I haven't got a lot of experience with networked multiplayer so I'll definitely need to do a lot of learning.

Multiplayer will most probably use uNET rather than Photon so I don't think it will be compatible with RCC's multiplayer setup.

Setting up multiplayer can be quite complicated due to all the race types. The main thing is to have the network handle everything. This means that spawning, position tracking, etc will all have to be done over the network.

33. Ian094

Ian094

v1.1.0a is live.

This version mainly fixes a few issues.

Change-log:
    Thanks.

34. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Was there a fix for the UIButton conflict with NGUI using that same class name for it's buttons?

35. Ceremony055

Ceremony055

I got some questions : is this friendly mobile ? I mean is this optimized for mobile? any lag ? and can you give us android apk? if you answer them and do them ı gonna buy your kit (sorry for bad english)

JamesArndt likes this.
  36. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I want to ask that same question. My primary use will be for Android and iOS. So how is the performance on either of these platforms? Are frame rates really good, draw calls kept low, overdraw kept low as well? Just want to make sure all of the existing functionality also works well on mobile platforms.

This kit is working well for desktop for me. Haven't had a chance to test on mobile yet.

37. Red-Kamatis-Studios

Red-Kamatis-Studios

Hello.
    How do you add more scenes to unlock for a reward? I had emailed you the details.
    thanks

38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, there was. I added namespaces to all the RGSK scripts to avoid conflicts with other assets.

JamesArndt likes this.
  39. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, the kit is mobile friendly.

Here's a link to an android apk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ojf8lyd95llygm/Demo.apk?dl=0

I changed the vehicle models in the apk because the default ones aren't optimized for mobile.

Thanks.

40. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

I just replied to your email. Please let me know how it goes.

41. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Awesome! Saw the namespace fix issue resolved as well! Thank you and very much appreciated.

42. derkoi

derkoi

I'm using RGSK with RCC but for some reason the time trail lap time records don't register or save. It did once in the editor but on the android device it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas? Thanks

43. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

This doesn't seem to happen on my end.

What version of the Racing Game Starter Kit are you using?

44. derkoi

derkoi

The latest from the asset store

45. Ceremony055

Ceremony055

Why ı cant buy this kit ı got 153 turkhis liras but ı cant buy it HELP ME PLSS!!!

46. Ian094

Ian094

I'm not so sure why.

Try contacting the asset store by submitting a request here.

47. DudeInaScarf

DudeInaScarf

Hello!
    I have couple of problems with this asset.
    1) When i start a race with 3 laps to complete, sometimes(more like 80% of the time) after first lap is completed, the game says that "Race is completed".
    2) And can you please explain on examples how does rewarded system work. I have set it(there is screenshot attached) but it seems nothing happened.

Attached Files:

48. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

1) Does your vehicle have more that one collider attached to it? This causes OnTriggerEnter to be called multiple times resulting to incorrect lap tracking.

2) "Currency" is the added amount of currency given to player when the player finishes in this position.
    "Track Unlock" is the name of the track (not the scene name) unlocked when the player finishes in this position.
    "Vehicle Unlock" is the name of the vehicle unlocked when the player finishes in this position.

I came across an issue with vehicle & track unlocks in the menu and will submit a fix to this issue soon. To fix this issue, open the menu manager and in the CheckForUnlockedVehiclesAndTracks() function (line 543), remove all the "Unlocked" strings (marked in yellow) so that the function looks like this :

UnlockFix.png

I'll be sure to have this fix up soon.

49. Max1982

Max1982

Hi, what If vehicle have more that one collider attached....it is possible to have more that one collider in one car without any issues?

50. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, one way is by setting up a simple layer collision matrix.

I explained this in an earlier post here.

Max1982 likes this.