Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Price Drop!] Advanced Merger Toolkit - Boost Performance | Easy & Powerful Workflow

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eskovas, Nov 2, 2018.

1. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,
    I also saw that algorithm awhile back when searching for a better packing algorithm, but it wasn't a very high priority at the time and since i was able to improve Unity's a bit, i didn't implement a better one. I do have plans to implement a better one at some time in the future.

I also had that idea about scaling each material for the atlas, but it didn't work well with Unity's packing algorithm for some reason, so i didn't pursue that much more. When i implement the better algorithm, i'll see if i can also add that.

2. eskovas

eskovas

New Tutorial video for Advanced Merger Toolkit!
    This time i show how to use the Material Merger to improve the performance of your games in a fast and easy way!

3. eskovas

eskovas

New tutorial Part 4 - how to use the Material Bake feature:

New hotfix update is also available as of today that fixes an issue where the tool wasn't finding every Renderer in the GameObject list of the Bake feature.

4. McDev02

McDev02

What I would need is that the merger preserves Scale in Lightmap and potentially also some other values of a mesh renderer. It could be done by using the average or min/max of all the meshes. Meanwhile I try to add it myself.
    Apart from that, nice tool :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. eskovas

eskovas

Well, the tool does preserve lightmaps for the merged meshes (UV2 UVs in merged meshes are translated to the original mesh lightmap positions). Maybe i'm not exactly sure what you're requesting, if you can give a bit more info.

6. McDev02

McDev02

My plan was to rebake the scene with merged meshes. I rather want to make prefabs than scene objects, so merging happens only once. Also isn't there the risk that two objects that are merged have two different lightmaps?
    Also having only merged objects makes the scene more lightweight. Before I make a build for example I would have to remove all the raw folders because otherwise their content is built, but if these objects are never used in the game, they don't have to be.

7. McDev02

McDev02

I just realized that the lightmaps are lost when the scene was closed and reopened. When I click merge the lightmaps are fine, but when saving and hitting play, they are lost. Are you not setting dirty flags properly? I just tried this:
    Clear combined meshes, save scene. Then hit merge, after that the scene is not marked as dirty.
    Anyway even when I make another change, the lightmap is still lost after reopneing the scene.
    Working with 2019.1.10f1

Attached are my settings, I am using Shadowmask lightmaps

Attached Files:

8. eskovas

eskovas

when merging and preserving lightmaps, the tool will separate the meshes per lightmap, so there won't be any issue.

I'll have a look at that issue. Thanks for letting me know

9. eskovas

eskovas

Will be submitting an update tomorrow to address the lightmap issues. This is related to how Unity stores references to lightmaps for objects in the scene, and as far as i could gather, there isn't a way to force the object references to be saved.
    Only way i found that works is to have a custom component that contains the lightmap index/offset/scale data and applies it on OnAwake, which is what i will be adding.
    So you should only toggle the "PreserveLightmapUVs" if you really want to preserve and not bake again later. I include a button to clear these components in case you want to change this but don't want to re-merge the objects again.

If anyone have better ideas on how to solve this issue, i'm all ears. But for now this is the best solution that i found.

Maybe someone from Unity could sneak in and verify if this is the only real solution for this issue.

10. eskovas

eskovas

New update has been submitted to the asset store.

Here's the change log:
    V1.4.3:
    - Fixed an issue with keeping lightmap references would disappear when entering play-mode or loading another scene.
    - Fixed some actions not marking the object as dirty.

Check my last post for more details.

McDev02 likes this.
  11. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Hi @eskovas and thanks for the great plugin.
    We're having one use case where it doesn't work well though:
    If the meshes have nested colliders and the meshes have odd scales, the resulting colliders have an incorrect scale.

12. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

I managed to fix it by making changes in the ColliderFunctions.cs script. What the changes do is, they regenerate the same GameObject structure as the starting raw objects, with their positions and rotations, and place the colliders inside.

Here's a diff with my changes, hope someone finds it useful

Attached Files:

13. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

It's possible to only generate the structure that has scales that are not (1,1,1) and achieve the same result, so just replace the "else" on line 44 with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. else if(!parentsToPrebake[j].localScale.Equals(Vector3.one))

14. eskovas

eskovas

@Dark-1-Games Thanks for sharing. Yes, that's an issue that i didn't think about, and the solution would be to just replicate the hierarchy that had the colliders.
    I'll be sure to add support for nested colliders in the next release.

15. noobynobody

noobynobody

Does this have/will have mesh decimation or texture atlasing?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  16. castor76

castor76

This is a long shot, but can this asset rebake textures with uvs repacked from different objects? So if I have objects with wasted uv spaces, can this tool repack my uv, and bake out atlas instead of just making atlas out of existing maps?

I am asking this because i have model baked out of voxel and they contains a large amounts of unused uv spaces per each model and would like to combine those objects into one atlas but with more efficiently packed uvs.

17. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

Hello,

Could you tell me if vertex colors are preserved when meshes are merged?
    Important for example if foliage meshes are being merged.

Thanks

18. eskovas

eskovas

Mesh decimation is not currently planned.
    This tool already allows to merge materials, where textures are merged together into an atlas.
    I'm planning to make an extra tool where you can bake various object materials together in the project, and generate cloned meshes of the original ones, but with UVs placed on the merged material, so that they can then be placed on the scenes using the same material.

No, this tool doesn't support it at the moment.
    I've gotten a few requests for this exact feature, but it's a fairly tricky thing to make. I'll be sure to try it out as it can be very useful.

Yes, vertex colors are preserved for both mesh and material merger.

19. Jossgasm

Jossgasm

I'm not sure how you combine tiled textures. For example I have a plane tiled 5*5. Does it than use 25 times more space in the atlas? Sorry if this a noob question

Thanks Joss

20. eskovas

eskovas

A new small update is live on the asset store!

It improves performance of the mesh merger algorithm, which is significant improvement during runtime mergers.

f1chris likes this.
  21. eskovas

eskovas

Will be submitting a new update soon with an extra option to recalculate lightmap uvs for merged meshes. I only noticed this issue now when doing an interior modular set, and the 'no overlap' option in the asset doesn't work very well for baking lightmaps for these cases.
    The new option will basically use Unity's own re-calculate lightmap uvs and works very well.

Here's the comparison:
    'No overlap' option:
    AMT_BakedLightmap_Old.PNG
    'Re-calculate lightmap UVs' option:
    AMT_BakedLightmap_New.PNG

22. eskovas

eskovas

Sorry for the delay, but the new update has been submitted to the asset store and is currently in review.
    Change List V1.4.5:​
    • Added new "Regenerate Lightmap UVs" option to regenerate the UVs of merged meshes. This produces much better results for baked lightmaps and much better for modular assets. (Check previous post for an example)
    • Fixed collider generation.
    I also changed the category of the asset to Editor/Modelling instead of Editor/Utilities.

Let me know any new feature you would like the asset to have.
    I'll be adding a few more features to it, mainly better parameter control for each generated mesh

23. eskovas

eskovas

New update V1.4.5 is now live on the Asset Store!

http://u3d.as/1k1d

Change List V1.4.5:
    • Added new "Regenerate Lightmap UVs" option to regenerate the UVs of merged meshes. This produces much better results for baked lightmaps and much better for modular assets. (Check previous post for an example)
    • Fixed collider generation.

24. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

Happy to announce that Advanced Merger Toolkit will be having a 50% OFF Sale until the end of September 2020!​
    AMT_Large_50Off.png

If you're interested in buying this asset, be sure to check in a little later when the sale is active!
    I'll make a new post when this happens.

25. osss

osss

26. eskovas

eskovas

Didn't know about UnityMeshSimplifier.
    Poly reduction is something that I always wanted to add to AMT, but was a bit out of scope for the tool.
    I can see if I can add support to it.

Thanks for letting me know about that project

osss likes this.
  27. eskovas

eskovas

Last Day!
    Advanced Merger Toolkit 50% OFF Sale is ON until the end of September 2020!

Don't miss out on this sale and check out AMT on the Asset Store!
    http://u3d.as/1k1d

28. eskovas

eskovas

The sale is now over! Thank you to everyone that bought Advanced Merger Toolkit!
    Please be sure to leave a rating on the Asset Store and post here feedback/features/improvements you would like to see!
    screen_1950x1300_2020-05-25_00-15-10.png

29. unity_4tiDoGnRm19U_g

unity_4tiDoGnRm19U_g

Hello, I can't compile my project since I've installed the toolkit.
    Assets\AdvancedMergerToolkit\Scripts\ExtensionFunctions\ColliderFunctions.cs(67,29): error CS0103: The name 'col' does not exist in the current context
    Any suggestion ?

30. eskovas

eskovas

Submitted a quick fix for this.
    In the meantime, you can go to that line in code, and replace 'col' by 'originalCol'. That will fix this error.

31. unity_4tiDoGnRm19U_g

unity_4tiDoGnRm19U_g

Thank you Eskovas for your anwser, that is what I did. Unfortunatly there are lot of other errors, I just submited the first one. I had to remove completly the toolkit in order to compile. Hope there will be a fix soon.

32. eskovas

eskovas

Sorry about that.
    I just submitted the fix for those issues. This one shouldn't give you more problems.
    The issue was that it was using an UnityEditor function for unwrapping UVs (the latest feature) for runtime code. This will now be disabled for builds/runtime, and can only be used inside the editor.

33. eskovas

eskovas

Fix for the error that appeared when trying to build while including the runtime merger from Advanced Merger Toolkit is now available on the Asset Store.

Let me know if you find any other issues, but your issue should now be solved.

34. eskovas

eskovas

Happy to announce that Advanced Merger Toolkit just had a permanent price drop of 25% to 30$
    For this price, this tool does more than most of the other Merger assets on the Asset Store at a much more affordable price!

I intend to continue to support this asset with performance improvements and more.
    Leave any feedback and requests for new features in this thread!​

35. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am very interested in picking this up but I would be using it primarily for runtime level generation. Do you have some documentation I can read before purchasing? I want to make sure it'll be straightforward enough to use for my needs.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  36. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,
    I actually thought i shared the manual for Advanced Merger Toolkit in this thread, but i guess not.
    I just updated and attached the Manual PDF of the asset to the main post of this thread.

For anyone interested in this asset, be sure to also check it out. Here's a direct link to the PDF: https://forum.unity.com/attachments...7/?temp_hash=1c6aa9ccfd0aa2e0010444dd0c66c722

Regarding runtime generation, You can also check the original post of the thread, in the "Run-time demonstration".section at the end of the post.

I'll post the runtime example code that's included in the Asset, which is just slightly different but has more comments:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. namespace AdvancedMergerToolkit
    6. {
    7.     public class AMT_RuntimeDemo : MonoBehaviour
    8.     {
    9.         public GameObject[] Objs;
    11.         public GameObject main;
    13.         public int count;
    14.         public Vector2 offset;
    16.         public MergerMaterialSettings genericSettings;
    17.         public MergerMaterialSettings specificSettings;
    19.         private Merger merger;
    21.         private void Start()
    22.         {
    23.             Setup();
    24.         }
    26.         // Update is called once per frame
    27.         void Update() {
    28.             if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.M)) {
    29.                 Merge();
    30.             }
    31.         }
    33.         void Setup() {
    34.             if(main != null) {
    35.                 Destroy(main);
    36.             }
    38.             main = GameObject.Instantiate<GameObject>(new GameObject("AMT"));
    40.             //Add the Merger Component to an empty GameObject
    41.             merger = main.AddComponent<Merger>();
    43.             //ALWAYS call Setup on the Merger Component.
    44.             //This will create both Raw and Combined child GameObjects and prepare the Component.
    45.             merger.Setup();
    47.             //Just randomly instantiate new objects to demonstrate the tool at runtime
    48.             for(int j = 0; j < Objs.Length; j++) {
    49.                 for (int i = 0; i < count; i++) {
    50.                     GameObject newObj = Instantiate<GameObject>(Objs[j]/*Objs[Random.Range(0, Objs.Length - 1)]*/);
    52.                     Vector3 pos = new Vector3();
    53.                     pos.x = Random.Range(-offset.x, offset.x);
    54.                     pos.z = Random.Range(-offset.y, offset.y);
    56.                     newObj.transform.position = pos;
    58.                     //Set all objects we want to merge to inside the Raw GameObject
    59.                     newObj.transform.SetParent(merger.raw);
    60.                 }
    61.             }
    63.             //Create the first LOD and set its properties
    64.             MergerLOD lod0 = merger.AddNewLOD();
    65.             lod0.percentageOfMeshes = 100; //LOD0 will have 100%
    66.             lod0.lodPercentage = 35; //LOD0 in the LODGroup will be visible from 100% to 35%
    68.             MergerLOD lod1 = merger.AddNewLOD();
    69.             lod1.percentageOfMeshes = 50; //50% of the objects
    70.             lod1.lodPercentage = 15; //LOD1 in the LODGroup will be visible from 35% to 15%
    72.             //In this example we will use MaterialMerge for LOD1+.
    73.             //We can use the scriptable objects already created in the project folder.
    74.             lod1.mergerMaterial = new MergerMaterial(); //We'll need to create a new MergerMaterial to the LOD1 variable
    75.             lod1.mergerMaterial.mergeMaterial = true; //Tell we are going to use the MergerMaterial
    76.             lod1.mergerMaterial.genericMaterial = genericSettings; //Assign the Generic Settings
    77.             lod1.mergerMaterial.specificMaterials = new List<MergerMaterialSettings>() { //Assign extra settings
    78.                 specificSettings
    79.             };
    81.             //Add last LOD. This LOD will also use the Merger Material above, but we don't need to assign.
    82.             MergerLOD lod2 = merger.AddNewLOD();
    83.             lod2.percentageOfMeshes = 20; //20% of the meshes
    84.             lod2.lodPercentage = 3; //LOD2 in the LODGroup will be visible from 15% to 3%
    86.         }
    88.         public void Merge()
    89.         {
    90.             //Finally call GenerateFinalObject and the all combined objects will be created and stored inside the Combined GameObject
    91.             merger.GenerateFinalObject(false);
    92.         }
    93.     }
    94. }
    This is just an example.
    You can also think like this: You can setup a GameObject with the Merger component at runtime (or in the editor), and then whenever you want at runtime, you add/remove objects to the 'Raw Collection' GameObject inside the Merger Object, and then call GenerateFinalObject when you want to merge.

It's very easy to use. That was one of my main goals with this asset :D Make it as simple as possible to use!

If you have any questions, please let me know :)

Attached Files:

37. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Yup! Looks like it'll fit my needs. Thanks for taking the time writing such a helpful response!

38. jtate5

jtate5

Will this tool work with the Universal Render Pipeline (URP) in Unity 2019.4.4?

39. eskovas

eskovas

Yes, it does. Works with default renderer, URP and HDRP

40. Boerdler2

Boerdler2

Hello,

is there any way to use multi threading or multi processing for the advanced merger?

I have a huge GameObject with thousands of children (5 gigabyte fbx), which is segmented in a grid. Each children is now parented to the specific segment, which represents a box of the grid. Now I want to merge all GameObjects for each gridbox.

Code is already working, but it takes days to terminate. Task Manager also shows, that during the calculations, the CPU is just loaded by around 6%. My idea is that for each logical processor a new thread could be started, where all advanced merger tasks will be done for one gridbox. After one thread terminated, a new thread with the next gridbox on the list gets started.

41. eskovas

eskovas

Due to the algorithms using a lot of Unity's API, they can't be done outside MainThread, so doing each grid in a thread won't be possible to do, afaik.
    I'll see what i can do to improve grid generation times and add a few options to improve workflow when using grids.

42. eskovas

eskovas

One thing you should also try to use is "Material Bake" before merging, so that you minimize the number of textures for material merger per grid and re-use as much as possible the same baked atlases. This should save you tons of time when merging these large scenes.
    You can check the manual and this tutorial video:

43. eskovas

eskovas

New update has been submitted for review.

Change List V1.4.7:
    - Improved grid setup generation.
    - Each generated grid cell now has the position at the lower "vertex" of the cell's bounding box position and not at the position of the parent object.
    - Custom Components and Duplicated GameObjects options are now saved per cell, instead of being global to the whole grid
    - Fixed Custom Components being incorrectly positioned.
    - Improvements for later Grid merger improvements.

Plans for Grid improvements:
    - Cancel generation at any time (Not specific to Grid)
    - Re-generate specific grid cells or ranges of cells, so that you don't have to re-generate the whole grid if you only change stuff in one place
    - Improve performance

@Boerdler2 Let me know if you have something more you would like to see added to the Grid feature

StevenPicard likes this.
  44. eskovas

eskovas

New update is live on the asset store!

Change List V1.4.8:
    - Added Cancel option to the progress bar that allows the merger to be canceled at any time.

upload_2021-1-4_18-15-55.png

Note that at the moment, AMT cleans up everything before starting the merger, so canceling the merger will not revert back to the previous merger (for now).
    I'll add the ability to cancel without losing previous work by merging into a temp folder and replacing previous data with the new one at the end. This would allow to cancel without affecting previous work. But this is for a future update.

45. Bobby_D_i3-Corps

Bobby_D_i3-Corps

The youtube tutorials need to be slowed down and narrated in a step by step walk through format. The music is distracting and the youtube video widgets get in the way of the instructional text when trying to go full screen to see details.

StevenPicard and radiantboy like this.
  46. buc

buc

I would need the following feature, is this possible with AMT?

1 single modular asset has multiple materials and multiple parts of the mesh (modular). You can imagine for example a house with different doors, etc.
    => Problem: with a classic approach, combining multiple houses in different locations (so they are in different groups) would bake the same textures over and over again, but the resulting textures would count as different textures for the computer, even the human can see always just the same.
    => Solution: the tool first combines the wanted textures into 1 atlas and just moves the UVs for the meshes without combining the meshes at this step. When the meshes (houses) are combined at different locations there will be different meshes, but all would use the same atlas now.

Can this be done with the Material Bake Feature from the link below?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/pri...-powerful-workflow.577639/page-3#post-4824029

47. buc

buc

I've tried now to combine SkinnedMeshes with the information in the manual, but it didn't work at all.

My workflow:
    - create empty GameObject and attach Merger script
    - let the merger create the raw and combine objects
    - enable Merge SkinnedMeshes
    - drag my SkinnedMesh into raw, so it is parented
    - drag the same (root with attached Animator component) into the Target Skeleton Transform slot
    - select the Path for saving

Press Merge => just Errors

the most recent version of the merger and Unity version 2020.3.13f1
    The errors shown:

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: collection
    System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T]..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] collection, System.Collections.Generic.IEqualityComparer`1[T] comparer) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T]..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] collection) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger.SetGeneratedSkinnedMeshEnabled (System.Boolean showRaw) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Scripts/Merger.cs:256)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger.SetOriginalObjectsEnabled (System.Boolean showOriginal) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Scripts/Merger.cs:236)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.MergerGenerator.GenerateFinalSkinnedObject (AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger main, System.Boolean showProgressBar) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Scripts/MergerGenerator.cs:175)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.MergerGenerator.Generate (AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger main, System.Boolean showProgressBar) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Scripts/MergerGenerator.cs:37)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger.GenerateFinalObject (System.Boolean showProgressBar) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Scripts/Merger.cs:506)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.Editor_Merger.DrawFinalObjectGeneration (AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger myTarget) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Editor/Editor_Merger.cs:765)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.Editor_Merger.DrawSwitcher (AdvancedMergerToolkit.Merger myTarget) (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Editor/Editor_Merger.cs:57)
    AdvancedMergerToolkit.Editor_Merger.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/AdvancedMergerToolkit/Editor/Editor_Merger.cs:17)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass59_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <4161219cc34143e0a11c6faeaa303a62>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

48. DragonmoN

DragonmoN

Hello @eskovas , does this asset work with the current Unity Versions like the 2021.2 with URP and/or HDRP?

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.