Search Unity

v0.3.0 release - partner SDKs no longer required

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by amirebrahimi_unity, Nov 5, 2019.

1. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

We had been sitting on these changes in our development branch for quite a while and many of you had simply pulled the repo from github, but for others who were installing via the downloadable package file it made sense to finally roll these changes up into a release. The installation process has been simplified now that you no longer have to install partner SDKs to make use of EditorXR.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorVR/releases/tag/v0/0.3.0

Always find the latest EditorXR release here
    and the recommended Unity build here

Major features/improvements:
    Check out the Getting started guide and Full release notes for more information on the release

laurentlavigne and hippocoder like this.
  2. dimib

dimib

Shirzad likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

...or 2020.1 with URP (I know, it's a long shot)! Will you be remaining on LTS for the forseeable extent of development?

4. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

2019.1 and 2019.2 should work fine
    I think with 2019.3 there is one small issue, but can be worked around.

5. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

TBD; On a journey to an officially released 1.0, we only drop versions when it impacts development in a significant way. If we make it there and this project moves beyond being experimental, then whatever LTS is out at that time will remain to be supported during it's lifetime.

Gekigengar and hippocoder like this.
  6. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

There isn't an example scene because it is meant to work with your own scenes. Can you share a bit more about what you mean about putting things together? Have you tried using the sample tools to create something in edit mode?

7. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Did you install TextMeshPro and run the first-time setup?

Re: Oculus Quest -- it should work, but we don't have specific support for it currently.

8. dimib

dimib

Hello @amirebrahimi_unity,

I am still struggling with EditorXR 0.3 on Unity 2019.3.0 (all releases) and also 2019.2.17. Edit: I am using an Oculus Quest (sw version 12).

The main problem is that the EditorXR menu option under Windows menu is greyed out and even after starting Play mode EditorXR is not started. The tracked pose driver works in Play mode (camera movement) but controllers are not working and nothing else.

EditorXR_menu.png

I followed the Getting Started Guide (and the Github readme), created a fresh project, imported EditorXR, installed the Patches, installed TMPro Essentials and PolyToolkit, installed and configured all necessary XR packages (see screenshots).

xr_management_settings.png camera_settings.png

Besides this, there is a console bug appearing all the time
    console_bug.png

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  9. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Are you using an Oculus Quest w/ the link cable? If so, then the API call we are using to detect whether the headset is attached must not be working. What package do you have installed for Oculus in the Package Manager?

10. dimib

dimib

Yes, I am using the Quest with a link cable.

I'm using Oculus XR Plugin 1.1.5 (see screenshot) on Unity 2019.3.0f5. You an see all packages and configuration in the screenshot.

How is the API call detecting the headset working or how can I work around it?

When trying to use the (old) Oculus VR Desktop with Open VR Desktop packages at least EditorXR worked in Edit and Play mode on desktop on Unity 2018.4.15, but building/deploying to Quest does not work. My goal is to get a working build on Quest with EditorXR using the Oculus XR plugin as the older plugins don't seem to produce a working build.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  11. dimib

dimib

A pure EditorXR build for the Quest gives me a serialization error (using Unity 2019.3.0f5 with Oculus Android package)
    EditorXR_serialization_error.png

Looks like a general EditorXR runtime bug? I think something prevents EXR from loading or initializing during runtime.

image (1).png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Shirzad likes this.
  12. Shirzad

Shirzad

@dimib did you solved it? @amirebrahimi_unity is there a workaround for this issue? Thank you very much!

13. dimib

dimib

14. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

I'm having this issue too on unity 2019.3. A few outdated parts need changing. Using the new XR Plugin Management system.

15. dimib

dimib

Did you use the new XR management packages successfully? I tested them but it seems they are not working with EditorXR 0.3

16. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Hmm...Looks like this is an issue with the InspectorWorkspace, which is an Editor-only workspace anyway. I'm not sure why that is showing up in your builds, but for a quick test you could try deleting the whole InspectorWorkspace folder and try rebuilding to see if the error goes away.

17. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

EditorXR doesn't currently work with the new XR Plugin Management system (i.e. XRSDK). For now you'll need to use the previous plugins: Oculus Android/Desktop or OpenVR Desktop.

18. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Correct.

19. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll mention it here, too. Apologies for not being able to work through this issue with you all yet. Our focus is on getting out the next release of EditorXR, which will be a bona fide package! After that is complete we'll move on to some of these other issues you are facing.

OwlBoy-, Shirzad and dimib like this.