Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UWP, XboxOne, InputFields, and onscreen keyboards (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by IQpierce, Dec 15, 2017.

1. IQpierce

IQpierce

I've been porting a large project to the XboxOne on the UWP platform. Our game uses "D3D", rather than "XAML", for performance reasons. I've been working with Unity 5.6.3p4 mostly, though all of the above seems to be true for 2017.2 as well.

I submitted a bug for an issue I've been struggling with: on this platform, selecting an InputField does not launch the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) for text entry. Unity launches a touch keyboard automatically on mobile platforms (including, I think, UWP on Windows Phone)... but it definitely does not automatically handle text entry on Xbox One.

While TouchScreenKeyboard.isSupported reports FALSE on this platform, I found that using TouchScreenKeyboard.Open() does work for opening the OSK on this platform and retrieving the entered text after the user presses the Menu/submit button.

Using this to create a workaround seems like it would be trivial; and indeed doing that is what Unity rep Tautvydas-Zilys suggests in this forum thread.

However, there are two major issues I've had trying this, which aren't discussed elsewhere:
    1. Cancelling the keyboard with the "B" button is completely not recognized by Unity. The keyboard disappears, and no other controller input is accepted; but the TouchScreenKeyboard instance, and the static variables, are all unchanged when this happens, so there's no way to detect this state. (Tried the "visible", "active", "done", "status", and "wasCanceled" flags, to no success.)
    2. The OSK's text entry field is not shown (ie the white box above the keyboard that shows the text being entered). For our InputFields on the lower half of the screen, this means the player can't read the text they're entering.
    So my question (preferably for a Unity dev) is: I successfully created a native plugin to let me fix #1. Do I have to do the same to fix #2?

More importantly, does Unity plan to implement this missing functionality? This is important UI functionality, and I assume the relatively few mentions of it on the forums only because there aren't very many XboxOne UWP games made in Unity. The keyboard can obviously be launched and used to some extent since TouchScreenKeyboard (mostly) functions; why isn't the full functionality there to do all this automatically, without the need for a native plugin and a workaround script?

This issue seems to imply that it's "by design" that D3D apps in UWP are unable to support the onscreen keyboard, and that this is only supported on XAML. However we need to use D3D, and we need this functionality.

I hope a Unity dev can advise on the right way to go here, or at least someone who's dealt with this problem and can confirm I'm going down a reasonable path with this workaround.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I wasn't aware that this wasn't working. The keyboard on d3d build type has been fixed a while ago - in Unity 5.5. All of this sounds very bizarre.

The answer is yes, and I strongly believe that the current behaviour is simply a bug. Could we get a bug report on that?

3. IQpierce

IQpierce

Thanks for the prompt response. The thread from February about this issue led me to believe that was missing functionality, and that a TouchScreenKeyboard workaround was the only solution.

The bug I submitted recently is here: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?978369_h663u031puqcddtr

If it makes a difference: I am testing on an xbox kit flashed with OS version 16299.3036. I can restore it to a different version of the OS if you believe this is an issue with the OS.

I also forgot to mention that I'm using InControl for gamepad interaction - but I believe this is just using standard Unity methods for activating an InputField.

I just tried making a new repro project for this. It does not appear to happen in XAML projects, but it definitely happens to this D3D test project... attached.

Attached Files:

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks, we'll take a look.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. IQpierce

IQpierce

(And just to be clear - the repro project I added does NOT use the InControl plugin, and still demonstrates this problem, so InControl isn't the culprit here.)

Thanks again for looking into this @Tautvydas-Zilys!

6. Ayrik

Ayrik

@Tautvydas-Zilys it appears this is still broken. Obviously not a lot of people need this functionality but I just wanted to state, for the record, my desire to have it fixed. Thanks!

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah, I'm aware. It's pretty high in priority to look into - I hope to get to it next week.

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Good news: I fixed it last week and I'm going to be backporting the fix all the way to 2017.4 in coming weeks.

9. Ayrik

Ayrik

Thank you very much! \o/

10. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I use a latest Unity 2018.1.2f1 and TMP_InputField (latest version) on Creators Xbox One and it does not bring the screen keyboard like in other platforms eg mobile. This is very important.

11. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

A year and a half after this bug was found, Unity has released new major versions (2018) but this bug is still there in D3D! This makes the Creators program from Microsoft via Unity completely useless in D3D. All Apps and Games need an onscreen keyboard.

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix is landing to patch releases very soon. I fixed it a couple of weeks ago.

Ayrik likes this.
  13. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Thats good to hear but I already made my own custom keyboard for these platforms.

14. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Its been 2 weeks but I didnt see it in the latest patches. When do you expect it?

philly2013 and Ayrik like this.
  15. IQpierce

IQpierce

I am curious as well. My project is still using a workaround script to bring this keyboard up and dismiss it; and bringing up the keyboard this way has at least one issue (it doesn't display the text entry, so for InputFields in the lower half of the screen, the player can't see the text they're entering as they're entering it).

And the workaround doesn't work for bringing up the OSK on Windows 10 at all. (Is that supported? It's something we'd like to do through the OS when the player is using a gamepad.)

Ayrik likes this.
  16. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

The fix should work on Windows Desktop, Mobile and Xbox one.

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix landed to 2018.1.8f1 and 2017.4.7f1.

We don't have any support for it on the Standalone player. As for UWP, while we do have support for it, I don't think that will work. I believe Windows itself won't show a keyboard if a physical one is connected (at least that was the case few versions ago, I don't know if it changed). Feel free to report a bug if you think we should investigate this scenario further.

18. bphillips09

bphillips09

It seems it is still not possible to detect when the "B" or "Back" button is pressed and the OSK is dismissed. When dismissed, the TSK instance still shows Active as True and Status as Visible even though the keyboard is gone. Is this desired behavior? Is there another way to detect when the OSK is dismissed on Xbox One?

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That is totally unexpected. Which Unity version are you on?

20. bphillips09

bphillips09

Unity 2018.2.14f1

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can we get a bug report on it?

22. bphillips09

bphillips09

Sure, just tried it on 2018.2.17f1 and the issue still exists. Here's the case number for the bug report (it happens on the example project I made for the bug report too): 1104971

Another possibly related issue: once text is entered and the caret is moved with right/left bumper, entering new text will ignore the caret's position and will reset the caret to the end of the text and enter the text there. I assume this is not intended behavior either?

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're right, that doesn't sound right either.

24. Homicide

Homicide

I don't know whats going on here, but i followed this thread, and assumed that all input field issues would have been resolved by now, but it seems this is not so.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...putfield-is-touched-with-android-api-level-28

I am trying to build to android , and migrate around the app using a gamepad, everything works great, except InputFields. They dont work at all. I have been able to force the Keyboard to open like this ...

Code (CSharp):
    1.       InputField _inputField;
    2.         void Start()
    3.         {
    4.             _inputField = GetComponent<InputField>();
    5.         }
    7.         void Update()
    8.         {
    9.             if (Input.GetButtonDown("Submit"))
    10.             {
    11.                 TouchScreenKeyboard.Open("", TouchScreenKeyboardType.Default, false, false);
    12.             }
    15.         }
    16.     }
    But, once the virtual keyboard opens, it can not be navigated with a controller at all. The controller is simply stuck between the text preview field , and the 'ok' button to submit the text.

Really frustrating, as this prevents anyone from using my app, ultimately making it a collosal waste of time, as it requires login and room creations with unique names, etc. And specifically targets Android / SHIELD TV.

Any ideas or pointers guys?

25. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This thread/forum specifically discussed issues with UWP/Xbox One.I suggest posting on an android forum about this.

26. Homicide

Homicide

Ahh yes, i just did that , sorry bout that :D

27. kenzstudiosgaming

kenzstudiosgaming

We seem to be still hitting this issue today with both 2018 Unity and 2019. Are there any workarounds working for you guys?

28. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

The only stable workaround is to make your own keyboard and use it on whatever platform you have problems with.

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What scenario isn't working specifically? All known issues that were reported were fixed.

30. WarmedxMints

WarmedxMints

Apologies for bumping and old thread, however, most of my google searches lead me here.

I am also having an issue. I can use the TouchScreenKeyboard class to open the on screen keyboard on an XB1 however I cannot seem to get it to display an input field and while I can get it to put the text into an input field. I cannot delete characters nor does pressing the view button or enter on the on screen keyboard close itself.

I am using Unity 2019.2.0f1 and the following code

Code (CSharp):
    1.     [SerializeField]
    2.     private InputField TextInputBox;
    4.     private TouchScreenKeyboard keyboard;
    6.     private void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         TouchScreenKeyboard.hideInput = false;
    9.     }
    11.     private void Update()
    12.     {
    13.         if (Input.GetButtonDown("MENU"))
    14.         {
    15.             keyboard = TouchScreenKeyboard.Open(TextInputBox.text, TouchScreenKeyboardType.Default, false, false, false);
    16.         }
    17.         if (keyboard == null)
    18.         {
    19.             return;
    20.         }
    22.         TextInputBox.text = keyboard.text;
    23.     }

Just to note, I am building a D3D project.

31. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I can't remember exactly, but I think input from keyboard on UWP comes from Input.inputString. Pressing backspace shows up as '\b' character.

32. dinesh-dias

dinesh-dias

HI all,
    Any solutions to this issue ? As I am having the same issue.My issue is when I launch in xbox one.when the input field appears to enter players name and when select the input field and submit the keypad doesn't appear.i can see it trying to show up but don't stay on the screen.
    Unity version 2019.3.12f1

SC_Anzai likes this.
  33. dopylo

dopylo

Hi all,

I am also having problems with the input field on Xbox One on Unity 2019.4.0.

For some reason, the input field is deselected just after calling select. The keyboard is shown on the screen but the input is not responsive, due to the focus lost.

I added a log to the onEndEdit event to see the callback, but I can't figure out nothing:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EndEdit
    2. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, LogOption, String, Object)
    3. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    4. UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
    5. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    6. Unwilling.Menu.NewGameView:EndEdit()
    7. Unwilling.Menu.NewGameView:<Update>b__110_1(String)
    8. UnityEngine.Events.UnityAction`1:Invoke(T0)
    9. UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1:Invoke(T1)
    10. UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1:Invoke(T0)
    11. UnityEngine.UI.InputField:SendOnSubmit()
    12. UnityEngine.UI.InputField:DeactivateInputField()
    13. UnityEngine.UI.InputField:OnDeselect(BaseEventData)
    14. UnityEngine.UI.InputField:LateUpdate()
    I only have one event system active and tried with both "Force Module Active" option enabled and disabled.

This is starting to be a critical issue, so any help would be extremely appreciated.

34. RestlessSwords

RestlessSwords

I am using Unity LTS 2020.3.11f and best I can tell there is still no functional XBox entry field for controller
    - hence i cannot create login screens, etc., and this means no functional application on XBox
    (UWP project with D3D build)
    - the text-entry field WILL open up and I can select characters, but the 3-line button will not enter the text and move to the next field. same failure trying to use the bottom-right 3-line box in the text entry display. the "B" button will cancel entry and pop out but the screen is frozen, cant move any more.

Given this thread goes back to 2017, how can this massive limitation/bug still exist in Unity?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  35. andersmarkendahl

andersmarkendahl

Hi!

I believe I have stumbled across the same issue when trying to add gamepad support for my game on the Android platform (to be used on Android TVs etc).
    I am testing with a XboxOne controller attached with bluetooth to an Android phone and everything works fine up until the InputField.

As @RestlessSwords described it:
    Able to open the input field and can switch between the input field and "OK" button.
    Able to close the input field.
    Not able to insert characters.

@Tautvydas-Zilys care to share any insight on what could be wrong here?

I am running with Unity 2020.3.13 LTS.
    Android phone for testing is a Samsung S7, with the default Samsung keyboard.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  36. RestlessSwords

RestlessSwords

i cant get my XboxOne bluetooth to connect to my android tablet, but when i use my MS-gamepad USB connected to my thinkpad i have the same issue. can tab between fields but the entry fields just wont open and dont work. I have the Unity Input-Manager configured so the joysticks and DPad work ingame for movement, but seems like gamepad breaks unity input fields.

Which means Unity cant create any functional game using gamepad and which uses an input field (on XBOX, on ANDROID, on WINDOWS -- ALL broken with gamepad and an entry field). Maybe @Tautvydas-Zilys can tell us how to use a gamepad with a Unity EntryField ??

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  37. andersmarkendahl

andersmarkendahl

Hello!

After a long time the Unity support got back to my problem on this topic and they tracked it here.
    They provided an answer and in case it might help some users, I post it here:

Hi,

Thanks again for submitting the issue.

After a further resolution with developers, we have decided that this issue is By Design due to the following reasons:

Gamepad interaction with On-Screen Keyboard depends on what default on-screen keyboard is set in Android Settings.

Gamepad interaction with On-Screen Keyboard works fine on Android TVs - like NVIDIA Shield or Amlogic NEXBOX, or any other Android TV which has a system on-screen keyboard installed compatible with gamepads. These keyboards will have focusable keys which help navigate an on-screen keyboard with a gamepad.

Phones, like Google Pixel, etc, have system on-screen keyboards which are designed for touches, thus they don't display focusable keys. It should be possible to install a different On-Screen Keyboard via Google Play Store which can be compatible with a gamepad.

Alternatively, the app itself can use a customizable On-Screen Keyboard, but Unity doesn't expose such functionality, meaning today you cannot provide a user-defined On-Screen Keyboard.

That said, if you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
    Lukas
    Customer QA Team