Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UWP/XboxOne: How to switch from "App" to "Game" mode?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Peter77, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

After I deployed my project to Xbox and select "View Information", the DevMode-App displays "App" rather than "Game" for my project. Since apps have limited resources, I want to switch the project to "Game".

However, I'm unable to find any documentation where I would actually do this. How do I switch the project to "Game mode", to make sure the game has access to enhanced resources on Xbox?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

On the Xbox app list select your game, then press the "View button" on your controller, navigate to "View details" and there you will find "App type" combo box.

3. LoopIssuer

LoopIssuer

Hi,
    Is there some kind of option in project setup in Unity to permanently and by default set Game to be set as 'Game' after deployment?
    I mean - is switching combo box in View Details needed only in dev mode?
    Maybe, when I finally deploy to the Store - my game would be installed as a game by default?

@ Tautvydas-Zilys

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can configure your Xbox to default to game mode in the device portal. See https://walbourn.github.io/directx-and-uwp-on-xbox-one/

When you submit your game to the store, it will ask you if it's a game or an app, and if you select a game, it will run in game mode when downloaded from the Windows Store.