Search Unity

[UWP] What's the expected status of Unity Networking in UWP builds?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ReactDev, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ReactDev

ReactDev

In Unity 5.5.2f1, we have Unity networking connection success about 20% of the time on UWP builds. The 80% failure rate nearly always produces:

Log: cannot connect after X attempt address {...}

The same basic connection routines have a success rate of over 90% on our other target platforms.

The good news is that if it manages to connect, we're having success with W10 to W10 as well as crossplay with XB1 devices (NOT running UWP, but our XB1 specific build). The bad news is the connecting fails a lot.

I will work on updating our networking test app again for a repro submission, but if there's any suggestions in the meantime that would be great.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi.

You're actually the first person to report such connectivity problems. They're definitely not expected. Let us know when you submit a bug report - we'll look at it.

That said, Unity 5.2 is really old at this point, and even if we were to reproduce and fix the issue, it would not be backported there...

3. ReactDev

ReactDev

Hi Tautvydas,

We may still be the only ones using Unity Networking on a UWP project, specifically with Xbox Live Matchmaking and XboxOneEndPoint objects. I'd love to hear some success stories if that's not the case.

I think you misread what I said there about the version. We're on 5.5.2f1, not 5.2.

So I've been testing it more and I believe my "nearly always" as above stated is not correct. It seems like we do still regularly get the cannot connect after X attempt address message, but MOST of my testing today confirmed that OnClientConnect is not being called most of the time on UWP builds. Our test project had 55 out of 55 successful connections when running on 2 Xbox Ones. On 2 Windows 10 machines, OnClientConnect is called on the Host every time (which seems weird in general - but that's how it also works on the other platforms), but only sometimes on the client. It succeeded 32 times and failed 23. Not all of those 23 were a lack of OnClientConnect, but it seems like most of them were.

I'm going to get our test project submitted for you again, but it's not exactly simple to set up and run as it requires Xbox Live NuGet packages and setting a test sandbox and logging in some users.

Is there any reason that OnClientConnect would be called differently on UWP builds?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I indeed misread it. Duh! Yeah, 5.5 is definitely still supported and we're fixing its bugs.

I'll ask around about OnClientConnect - I'm not very knowledgeable about it myself.

5. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Have you tried using il2cpp instead of .NET?

6. ReactDev

ReactDev

This codebase is a good 2 years old and the last time we tried using il2cpp (probably 6 months ago) our plugins were not able to work with it. il2cpp is something we'll hit for our next project - and regardless - these connections and OnClientConnect should run on .NET of course too.

I ran our test again last night and it gave me 57 successes and 34 failures. This connection rate becomes our "20% success" rate when you factor in that my tests are currently just 1 machine to 1 machine, and our game handles up to 4 machines.

This thread gives me a bit of a peek into what calls this function, but it's also a very old thread. Any additional info you can give me would be great:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/onclientconnect-is-never-called-on-the-client.364399/

7. ReactDev

ReactDev

Okay - so I've sent in our repro project and a readme with it. Definitely let me know if you need any more info.

Case 903860

8. ReactDev

ReactDev

Just giving this a bump to see if there's anybody that can look in to this for us or give us more info.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hey, QA is currently looking into it and trying to reproduce it.

10. ReactDev

ReactDev

I'm not much in high hopes for QA to have success getting this all set up. It's pretty complex being a UWP game with Xbox Live functionality and testing a networked feature. Is there any hope of getting some info on this? We have 2 blockers for submission and this is one of them.
    Thanks - Tyler

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I just asked them for progress update. I have high hopes of them being able to set it up :).