Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UWP Visual Assets (Tiles\Icons) Approach

Discussion in 'Windows' started by PeachyPixels, Mar 6, 2020.

1. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi Everyone,

I've just spent a couple of days designing a tile logo and working out how to integrate it into the finished package. After some trial and error, I settled on the following approach and wanted to share it in the hope it may spare others some of the pain.

1. Design your logo and export it in one of the vector formats supported by Visual Studio (AI or PDF)
    2. Build the Unity (IL2CPP) solution\project and open it in Visual Studio (2017 or later)
    3. Use the Visual Asset tool (by double clicking on the package manifest file) to generate the appropriate PNG assets
    4. Copy the PNG assets to your Unity assets folder (and set whatever sprite settings you deem appropriate)
    5. Using the below mapping table (as some are not immediately obvious) assign the relevant PNG assets in the Unity UWP Build Settings section

Visual Studio Name | Unity Name | File Set
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Package Logo | Store Logo | StoreLogo.Scale
    App Icon | Square 44x44 Logo | Square44x44Logo.Scale, Square44x44Logo.TargetSize
    Small Tile | Square 71x71 Logo | SmallTile.Scale
    Medium Tile | Square 150x150 Logo | Square150x150Logo.Scale
    Large Tile | Square 310x310 Logo | LargeTile.Scale
    Wide Tile | Wide 310x150 Logo | Wide310x150Logo.Scale
    Splash Screen | Splash Image | SplashScreen.Scale

Whilst there is an extra step up-front in copying and assigning the assets in Unity, it does mean you don't have to-do this each and every time the IL2CPP project is rebuilt. If ever Unity get around to implementing UWP cloud build, this should also make the workflow smoother.

Whilst I am sure there are many approaches to this problem, this was the one that seemed a best fit for me in the long term.

I hope it helps.

PS: It seems even formatting as Courier New doesn't make spaces monospaced, so I inserted pipes to break up the columns. If anyone can tell me how to format the table correctly on this forum, I will happily edit.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    McDev02 and codegasm like this.