Search Unity

UWP app with Unity 5.2.1

Discussion in 'Windows' started by madhur, Sep 15, 2018.

1. madhur

madhur

Hi,

We built an iPad app few years ago using Unity 5.2.1 where it loads 3d models using asset bundles and user can perform different actions on the model.
    Now the client wants to build the same app to support Windows 10 tabs/desktops Since we have to use the same assetbundles already build, I will have to use the same Unity version. So I tried to build a Unity 5.2.1 sample to Windows store (Universal 10- xaml). But sometimes I am getting errors in Unity when trying to build that and sometimes it get build but when I try to run it in visual studio 2017 I get errors.
    So I wasn't sure whether there is any limitation on building an app from Unity 5.2.1 for Visual studio 2017 for Uwp.
    Does Unity 5.2.1 support creating a UWP app to run with Visual studio 2017 or are there any limitations on the Unity versions? Or should I be able to do that work if I get the errors resolved?

Thanks

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unity 5.2.1 was released 2 years before VS2017 existed, and it doesn't support it. You'll need to use Visual Studio 2015. Furthermore, you'll need to make sure that your Windows 10 SDK is not newer than 14393 - while you can have newer ones installed, you should make sure that the registry is pointing at 14393 or older. That is because that Unity version will pick the value from the registry, and use it, but it cannot handle versions newer than 14393 as they changed file layout.

3. madhur

madhur

Thanks @Tautvydas-Zilys

In this article https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/porting-guides it recommends using 5.3.2 above. Will I face issues if I try to use 5.2.1 or will it work ok if I follow your instructions? (Trying to figure out whether I should start this work with 5.2.1 or to get the client agreed to go for a newer Unity version)

Also from which Unity version onwards do you support VS 2017 uwp?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I can't remember exactly, but I think Unity 5.5 started supporting VS 2017.

Generally, Unity 5.2.1 will work, but you might hit issues that have already been fixed. You might want to update to at least 5.2.3p3 to get all the fixes we released for 5.2.x track. The main roadblock I see here is that 5.2.x hasn't been supported for several years now, so if you run into an issue you can't workaround, there won't be a fix coming out.

madhur likes this.