Search Unity

UWP app crash on PC

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ElliotMorningray, Jul 27, 2021.

1. ElliotMorningray

ElliotMorningray

Hi, we encountered crash that happens after loading some scenes. It not reproduce when loading first two bootstrap and menu scenes but often shows when loading any of the game scenes.

Unity version: 2019.4.26f1
    Graphics API: dx12

In game output we can see message: Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFA4DD5C2C0 (UnityPlayer.dll) in AppName.exe.34824.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000018.

Below is a crash callstack, it seems that it happens not in managed code.
    upload_2021-7-27_15-54-57.png

Does anyone know what can cause this issue?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Does this happen with DX11 too? Could we get a bug report on this? I checked our bug database and didn't find any similar reports.

3. ElliotMorningray

ElliotMorningray

Hi. We have tested with DX11 and chrashes are gone. However we can't use DX11 becouse we share same package between Xbox and PC platform and on Xbox platfrom DX12 gives huge performance improvements. Also the good thing is that it seems like the crash is not reprodusable on Master builds. But i steel worried about it can not totally gone but just harder to reproduce. Could you please point us what the things can affect this issue according to callstack? I tried even to disable all objects in scene including camera and UI and replace all used shaders to default unity variants and still have crashes after loading.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Totally understandable. Just trying in DX11 is enough to tell whether this is a DX12 specific issue or a more widespread one.

Unfortunately, I can't tell much from the callstack. I asked my colegues working on DX12 to look at it, but could you capture a crash dump from such a crash? You can make one in visual studio after you hit the crash by doing Debug -> Save Dump As...