Search Unity

UWP and borderless windows

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dave_m_moore, May 23, 2023.

1. dave_m_moore

dave_m_moore

Hi All,
    Having come to to the conclusion that UWP is not very good at managing windows, I'm left with this challenge:

How do I create a borderless window in UWP?

I've tried using the -popupwindow command line option (via AppCallbacks) which doesn't seem to work. I've also tried running c++ commands (SetWindowPos, etc...) to attempt to remove the border in the normal way for Windows windows and that seemingly doesn't work either.

UWP won't allow me place fullscreen windows on particular displays, but it is possible to place a non-fullscreen window on an alternative display. Therefore, my logic is that if I can match the screen resolution and remove the border, then I have a solution.

Any ideas/comments?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

PS. I hate UWP, but want to use Vuforia which only has support for UWP in Windows (ie. no Standalone support).

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

How do you do that?

In any case, borderless windowed applications are not a thing on UWP. You can only run borderless in fullscreen.

3. dave_m_moore

dave_m_moore

Thanks for your response. To answer your question, you can use C code windows calls in a independent executable to identify the borderless UWP window and move it to another display output. Interesting that you say that you cannot do borderless window functionality with UWP - very frustrating though. Why is UWP so restricted?

4. dave_m_moore

dave_m_moore

Also, are you saying then that the -popupwindow flag that is documented as providing a borderless window does not work on UWP?

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Dunno, you'd have to ask whoever made that decision at Microsoft. I used to ask that question myself.

Correct.