Search Unity

UV Unwrapping - Emission bleeding though. How much margin do faces need?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by dgoyette, Dec 5, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm having an issue with a model I've made, where the model looks good close up, but from a distance I'm seeing some bad artifacts. The issue seems to be that if I have a high emissive face near another non-emissive face, even if there's some space between the faces in the UV map, I'm seeing the emission bleeding into nearby faces. Here's an example of zooming out, looking at the back of this object. There should be no "red" here. But as I zoom out, I start seeing some strong red lines.

Emission.gif

The red lines I'm seeing match up with those faces being near some of the other faces that are emissive. In the UV map, the left quads are emissive, and the right-quads are the non-emissive faces that are picking up some emission color:

upload_2019-12-5_15-42-17.png

So, I imagine I could mitigate this somewhat by increasing the island margin when unwrapping, but I don't know how much space I should generally leave, or if there's another better approach to not having emissive color bleeding out. I'd rather not increase the margins if I don't have to, as it wastes space in the UV map, and effectively lowers the resolution of the texture.

Is it generally better to put all emission in its own material? Is there some other way to avoid this kind of emission bleeding?

2. Kondor0

Kondor0

Sorry for necroing this thread but I had that problem and before I fixed it this was the first link I saw on Google so I wanted to share my solution in case anyone else comes here:

I just disabled "Generate Mipmaps" in the Emissive texture options and the bleeding stopped. I imagine the bleeding starts at a certain distance because it tries to show a mipmap instead of the original texture.

If thatdoesn't work I recommend experiment with other texture settings like Point Filter.

Caffeen likes this.