Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uv map and texture a complex model

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by JediNizar, May 29, 2020.

1. JediNizar

JediNizar

Hi,
    I have a very complex 3d Model (a Building/Castle) which I have generated from an
    STL file through 3dsmax.
    I modified it to my needs, set the textures by setting them through Polygon/Face in the material editor. Exported the whole thing as an FBX file and imported it in Unity.
    Unfortunately, most textures are rotated or flipped.
    The only solution that came in mind is to rotate the textures back was through proBuilder.
    But it's taking very very long to select all faces and rotate them etc.

So my questions is why are the textures flipped and rotated after exporting them to unity? is there an easy way to fix that?
    Also, I've read many tutorials regarding texturing and uv mapping but to be honest, I still don't know how to unwrap such a complex model and then how to apply the different textures on the different faces /areas of the model.

Any help please a good step by step tutorial regardless if Blender, or 3dsmax or unity but please not for a simple shape, as I said I've seen many tutorials but none of them are explaining why they are doing which step. So it's very hard to apply the steps on my model.

Last Question, Performance side, is it better to have my Castle as one big mesh or better to split it into many parts.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Whatever you used for texturing sounds like 3ds Max exclusive feature. If it cannot be converted into proper UV coordinates (like, by collapsing a modifier), your best bet will be to unwrap it somehow.

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

This is a common issue(transferring materials from app to Unity), though it is more commonly asked about Blender from what I've seen. The catch is that you seem to be using some automatic texture projection on your model. Unity has no way to directly import that from 3dsMax. The only way I know Unity can get textures, etc... from other apps is if you can somehow manage to bake them down. The final result needs to be a model with UV mapping done, and a 2d texture asset that matches that UV map. If your projected texture can get converted to that, then you are good.

Personally, I would take the time to learn how to make UVs. It is another step in the 3d modelling pipeline and will come in handy all over later on, especially as projecting textures isn't always going to work. I don't know 3dsmax, but from what I've seen the process is similar to other software. Some simpler shapes can be done with more automatic projection type UVs. Other more complex shapes involve drawing seams and then doing angle based unwrapping of some sort. Depending on the model you will likely end up with a combination of these.

On the last question.....are you ever only seeing the whole castle(except the side away from you)? Or are you actually going inside it? In my opinion, if you only ever see the whole thing, then it ends up being more or less a scene prop and could easily be just one object. If you are going inside it, then you might want to consider splitting things up. Your best best is to actually do some testing though.

4. JediNizar

JediNizar

Thanks for all the replies;
    I split the mesh into several parts, without texturing.
    Now in unity with ProBuilder I create my uv map and it's working fine

5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@JediNizar
    I was going to suggest, to flip all of the objects normals in blender.
    Or recalculate the normals, then possibly flip them. Then UV unwrap the model. But I'm glad you were able to solve that problem. Cool.