Search Unity

Games Utopia Diary

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by averkin, Nov 28, 2016.

1. averkin

averkin

Hellow! My name is Andrew Averkin and I am 3d artist and game developer from Ukraine.
    I hope you have a wonderful and sunny mood today and nothing can ruin it!

Today, it is one of the most exciting days for me! At last, after a long time and hard work, after many hours and sleepless nights spent near computer, I want to share with you a first concept teaser of Utopia game!

Utopia Times of the Doomed Worlds - is an adventure game that will consists of several chapters, each with it's own wonderful story, amazing atmosphere, quests, full of mysteries and secrets.

Thank you for your time! I wish you a good day and enjoy watching of this teaser!

2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

That looks really cool, very high quality! Keep it up! :)

3. joeysipos

joeysipos

You got me intrigued! The graphics are really nice and the story sounds like it would be interesting.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That was pretty cool. Reminds me of Sanitarium a bit.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

OK - Interesting teaser! Art looks intriguing. Gameplay teaser please.

6. averkin

averkin

Thank you! Sanitarium is one of my best game!

7. averkin

averkin

Thanks, I will post short gameplay very soon here!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. averkin

averkin

Thank you!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  9. averkin

averkin

Hey guys!
    I am super glat to share with you first pre-alpha gameplay of adventure game Utopia! Hope you will like it!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

10. TextusGames

TextusGames

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Visuals, environment, animations, sfx, and voice are all very good.

Is this the opening scene in the game?

12. averkin

averkin

Thank you! This is just an experimental scene from game, not opening.

13. PhilippG

PhilippG

Wao, reaaaally great!

14. averkin

averkin

Hello!

I have not posted any project news for a long time since our meeting of developers, which took place several months ago. The big distance between posts is due to the fact that all this time we were working on concept of game optimization, as well as for choice and vector of project development, which undoubtedly led to a series of important and fundamental changes, the criterion and requirements for game, both from side of graphic part and from the concept of gameplay development. However, all these changes will undoubtedly improve Utopia!

Currently, we are working hard on game models, creation of which takes a lot of time, because their number is incredibly large. Such big amount of objects is designed to create detailed locations, since we want to try to make beautiful, an atmospheric and interesting demo. And this also becomes one of the reason which not gives a chance to post news about Utopia often. And of course, since Utopia is an indie project without any funding, at this stage, full employment by the developers of the Utopia project is unfortunately not possible, which also affects the frequency of our updates.

Despite this, Utopia is moving forward and after a few months we have many information and good news. That's why I'm in a hurry to tell you one of these great news. We are launching a video diaries dedicated to development of the game!

Our first diary is ready and by this we want to release a series of short videos where, we will be telling you how we develop the game and what technologies we use. We will be introducing you developers who take part in this project, and of course we will be sharing with you our latest news and updates, as well as other things, such as models, textures, brushes, materials, scripts, and other useful things.

We will try to post such diaries more often, so stay tuned for updates and news. Many thanks!

Andrew,

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. averkin

averkin

Utopia development diary number 2 is out!

This is a quick demonstration of how we design game levels. After creation of game assets, we create a variety of compositions and combine them into groups of different forms, sizes and of cource for different purposes. Some of them are used as compositions of main level design, some for background decoration, and some as a quest objects. Later, these groups can be combined together into more larger and complex forms. As example, we can take some wall, and combine it with group of pipes, electric wires and devices, as well as with a mess of game assets piles, and then combine all this into one large group, which can be later used along with other groups of walls, easy creating design of entire level. With this, we can build our levels in much faster way, focusing more on design, animations, logical part of the game and other things.

Thanks and see you next time!

16. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Looking really nice!

17. averkin

averkin

Hey guys!

This is short video demonstration of on of the levels from Utopia demo! It is still work in progress and I need to fix a lot of things, but you can already see how this how things are going on. Made and rendered in Unity engine.
    Cheeeeers!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  18. averkin

averkin

Thank you!

19. averkin

averkin

Thanks!

20. averkin

averkin

Oh I forgot to-post previous diaries. They are not about Unity but more about creation of 3d graphic for my game. Hope you will find them interesting too.

RavenOfCode and _M_S_D_ like this.
  21. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks great, interesting devlogs too

22. averkin

averkin

Thank you:)

23. averkin

averkin

khos likes this.
  24. averkin

averkin

Utopia Syndrome work in progress. Hope you will like these in-game screenshots!

RavenOfCode and CrystalConflux like this.
  25. averkin

averkin

Hey guys! I decided to tell a few words about the game and share more screenshots. Unfortunately, right now I am not spending to much time for Utopia Syndrome game as I did it before but other guys are from my team are still helping me with the development process, so the game does not stay on a dead point and we are moving, slowly but surely!

Right now we are working on 5 scenes that will be included in the demo game. In the future, there will be even more scenes, but their amount depends on how long the story will be. The good thing is that I have found some time and wrote several stories and they will become a basis for the game script. Actually, we already working on this! The game story will be really interesting, well at least I think so, because I am the writer of this story and I can't say something bad about my creation...hehehe!

On screenshots, you can see one of the scene which has a lot of details. It is a huge scene in terms of polycount and amount of lights given the fact that we use real-time lighting in Unity. So all this makes quite big pressure on performance. That's why we are trying to divide scenes and make them smaller with less amount of lights, but still keeping all these nice details. There are other ways to optimize the game and we will be working on this. I was the first fighter against the light baking, but I do not rule out that we will try to bake the light in the scenes in the future because this could significantly improve the performance of the game which is very important. We want to make sure that people who don't have strong computers could still play in this game.

At last the model of one of our main characters is ready and currently, we are looking for an animator to make nice cutscenes. It is hard to do this without a budget, but along with animator work, we can still use amazing features of Timeline inside Unity that could help in the creation of simple animations.

As I said, I wrote several stories combined together in one idea which was actually really hard to do, so I still need to polish everything, but it's already good enough to work on a game script. So currently, I am waiting for the finished game script for the demo and after this, we will be ready to start making logical part of the game!
    Thanks for reading this guys, I am really glad when you give positive comments and feedbacks, this gives us the power to move forward!

Stay tuned and Cheers!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  26. averkin

averkin

Another work in progress and graphical test! Hope you will like it!

RavenOfCode and FreakForFreedom like this.