Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uTomate - The automation solution for Unity3D!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kork, Apr 13, 2013.

1. kork

kork

What is uTomate?
    Whenever you do a project there are repeating tasks that take a lot of your valuable time which could be spent elsewhere. With the uTomate Unity3D plug-in you can automate these tasks directly in the Unity editor and then let them run with a single click!

Do time-expensive tasks like building lightmaps overnight, build a set of players with a single click instead of a dozen or import/export library packages without having to check their contents all the time or build a DLL of your project without having to use Visual Studio. uTomate can be extended easily so you can have your very personal workflow.

Key Features:
    • Re-usable and fully configurable set of built-in actions for every day tasks, like Build Player (requires Unity Pro), Build Lightmaps, Build DLL, ZIP/Unzip, Im/Export Unity Package etc.
    • Actions can be combined to automation plans with a visual editor.
    • Almost everything can be parametrized. Parameters can be configured per action, per project and per machine.
    • Everything is configurable within the editor so no scripting experience is required.
    • Automation plans and parameters can be shared with your team by adding them to version control system of your choice.
    • Automation plans can be run from your continuous integration system.
    • Full source code is included.

Want to see how this is done? Check our tutorial video explaining how you can automate your Unity project within a coffee break:

Links

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. nixter

nixter

I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. It looks interesting, the ability to automate editor functions.

Can you suggest some other common workflows that this could speed up besides builds? I'm thinking it might be useful for loading game assets every couple of days that dribble in from an art dept.

3. nuverian

nuverian

It seems really usefull PLUS, I dig the video :p

4. kork

kork

Some flows that we use internally are:

• We are automating long-running operations like bakes. You can have it open all 70 levels of your game and re-bake them with new settings overnight instead of having to do it manually. Since you can combine the actions in any way you like, you can also have different settings for a set of scenes (or even for a single scene).
    • We have a shared project which contains several assets that we need in other projects. So we have a copy of that checked out on every developer machine. Using uTomate we can quickly copy the latest assets from our shared project into the project we're working on.
    • We use it for developing and internally distributing our C# libraries. We got a few library projects that build a DLL. Using uTomate we can build this DLL, upload it to Nexus (our central code artifact repository) and later use it in several other projects. Since Nexus supports versioning, we can build a uTomate plan called "Update Dependencies" which will automatically download the latest DLL versions from Nexus into the current project.
    • In one project we use it to calculate texture maps from images. We create the image in Pixelmator and save it "incoming" in our project folder. Then we use uTomate to run Filter Forge (an external program for creating textture maps) for each image in the incoming folder. Filter Forge builds the Maps and uTomate moves the final maps into the right place in our project. In a future version we will also add triggers which will allow us to do this automatically whenever a new image pops up in the incoming folder.
    • We use it for releasing our Asset Store products (uTomate Scene Manager). For each project we got a development workspace in which we develop and a release workspace which simply contains the final package together with the Asset Store description and images. Once we want to release a product we open the development workspace and start our Release automation plan. uTomate will build a DLL from our sources, grab the resources, create the support-Unity-Packages (e.g. a PlayMaker package for Scene Manager) and arrange all of it nicely in our release workspace. After this we simply need to hit "Release" in our release workspace. Saves a ton of time and you cannot forget to copy something over.

Have a look at our Actions Reference. These are the actions that come with it. You can combine them to anything you'd deem useful. Plus we also got an API which allows you to write your very own actions as well.

5. kork

kork

6. Cripplette

Cripplette

Hi,

I find your asset very useful, i may get it for my team.
    I would like to create a plan that build the game for all platform and upload the webplayer build on the server.

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

This look really useful. Definitely on my shopping list.

8. kork

kork

@Cripplette - what kind of server upload do you have in mind? FTP, SSH ?

9. kork

kork

Hi everyone! uTomate has been out for a week now and we're really curious about getting some feedback on it. Have you used uTomate in your project so far? What do you like? What don't you like? What would you like to see in a future update? Is there a feature that you think uTomate really needs to have but currently lacks? Let us know your thoughts in this thread!

10. kork

kork

We think that every project deserves uTomate - that's why we decided to reduce our price by more than 40%! You can now get it for $50 instead of $85 from the asset store. Happy automating!

11. kork

kork

We just released update 1.0.6 of uTomate. Now uTomate comes with full source code! We also added a few usability improvements (like executing a plan right from it's context menu) and some minor bugfixes. Happy automating!

12. shaderop

shaderop

This is looking nothing short of remarkable judging by the videos and the documentation on your website. One thing I would like to know before buying though is how well it works and how far it goes with iOS builds. Is it able, for example, to generate an IPA file (which would be ideal) or does it stop at generating an XCode project (which is also more than good enough for my needs)?

13. kork

kork

@shaderop the Build Player action does basically the same that the build player dialog in Unity does (because it's using the same underlying Unity API). So it will create you an Xcode project and if you tick the "Run the built player" checkbox it will run the application either on your device or in the simulator, depending on what is set up in the player settings. Building an IPA file is a different beast as this is usually done from within Xcode. What you can do though is create some bash script which builds the IPA file (for example based on this one) and run this script using the Run External Program action after the Build Player action. That way the Build Player action will create the xcode project and using the bash script and the Run External Program action you could build the IPA file. Maybe we could add an action doing this directly in a later version.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  14. shaderop

shaderop

@kork Actually that's more than adequate for our current needs. It should be relatively easy to wrestle up some scripts that would do the IPA generation and signing. A built-in action to do that would be nice, but it's definitely a low priority as far as I'm concerned.

Excellent work, and thanks for the quick reply.

15. EF_ICYou

EF_ICYou

Quick question: we've bought uTomate to evaluate if it suits our projects, but I'm having a stupid problem with the Build Asset Bundle action. I'll just post the error.

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:491)
    3. System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:275)
    4. System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetDirectories (System.String searchPattern) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/DirectoryInfo.cs:185)
    5. (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.DirectoryInfo:GetDirectories (string)
    6. UTFileUtils.BuildSelector (System.IO.DirectoryInfo root, System.String selector, Boolean includeDirectories) (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/PublicAPI/UTFileUtils.cs:414)
    7. UTFileUtils.AddToPaths (System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1 paths, System.IO.DirectoryInfo root, System.String selector, Boolean includeDirectories) (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/PublicAPI/UTFileUtils.cs:354)
    8. UTFileUtils.CalculateFileset (System.String basePath, System.String[] includes, System.String[] excludes, Boolean includeDirectories) (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/PublicAPI/UTFileUtils.cs:72)
    9. UTFileUtils.CalculateFileset (System.String[] includes, System.String[] excludes) (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/PublicAPI/UTFileUtils.cs:38)
    10. UTBuildAssetBundleAction+<Execute>c__Iterator3.MoveNext () (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/Actions/UTBuildAssetBundleAction.cs:82)
    11. UTAutomationPlan+<ExecutePath>c__Iterator17.MoveNext () (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/AutomationPlan/UTAutomationPlan.cs:103)
    12. UTomateRunner.ContinueRunning () (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/UTomateRunner.cs:173)
    13. UTMainWindow.Update () (at Assets/uTomate/Editor/GUI/UTMainWindow.cs:360)
    14. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    15. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    16. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    17. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    18. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:234)
    19. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:227)
    20. UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:284)
    21. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorApplication.cs:210)
    I'm pointing the action towards stuff like
    Main Asset* = $project:assets+"/_Prefabs/Cube01.prefab" (expressions enabled)

I've verified that the folder path resolves correctly via an Echo action. Any idea what might cause the error?

16. kork

kork

@EF_ICYou, "Main Assset" looks ok to me. Could you maybe create a screenshot of how the action has been set up, so that we can have a look at it? From the exception, I think there is something in the includes/excludes specification that the fileset generator doesn't like.

17. EF_ICYou

EF_ICYou

18. kork

kork

@EF_ICYou, i see. The includes/excludes are automatically resolved within your assets, so it's not necessary to prefix them with $project:assets. Simply enter

_Prefabs/*.prefab

into "Includes" and disable expression mode, that should do the trick. Meanwhile I'll check why the fileset calculator fails so miserably when using this expression, in fact it should simply not find anything.

Edit:

The main asset must be specified relative to the project path, so enter:

Assets/_Prefabs/Cube01.prefab

there. Or simply use a wildcard:

**/Cube01.prefab

Edit 2:

I have updated the documentation so this is more clearly stated now.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  19. EF_ICYou

EF_ICYou

It worked, thanks!

20. shaderop

shaderop

Bought it, using it, loving it.

But one minor issue I've noticed is that I try to keep all third-party assets and components under one folder named named "ThirdParty." I noticed that if I do that with uTomate, the Plan Editor window stops working. It seems like the paths to the assets in the EditorResources folder are hard-coded to expect uTomate's folder to directly under the assets folder. It would be great if that limitation is removed, as it would help with keeping things tidy.

21. kork

kork

@shaderop thanks for buying uTomate and we're happy that you are happy. Regarding your issue with the hard coded paths, we first had the graphics inside a "Editor/Resources" folder so we could load them using Resources.Load. That way you could actually move the uTomate folder around. However Unity included the graphics into the players of game projects we built since stuff inside "Resources" folders is always included into the final player even when it's located inside an "Editor" folder. That's why we moved these out and hard-coded the paths. We'll spend some more brainwork on this so we get both: the ability to move the folder around and to avoid that the resources are included in players.

22. kork

kork

We came up with a solution for this, and fixed this issue with 1.0.7. We just submitted 1.0.7 to the asset store, so once the Unity guys approve it, you can download the new version and move uTomate into your ThirdParty folder without breaking the editor.

23. EF_ICYou

EF_ICYou

Hi, me again!

Imported uTomate into another project, got this error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/uTomate/Runtime/UTEval.js(1,1): BCE0172: `UnityScript.Scripting.IEvaluationDomainProvider' interface member implementation must be public or explicit.
    MonoDevelop editor shows no error.

24. kork

kork

@EF_ICYou we are aware of this issue (it's occuring when doing iOS and Android projects) and already submitted a fix to approval to the asset store guys at the weekend. Once it get's approved, you can download version 1.0.8 from the asset store which fixes this. In the meantime there is a workaround for this described in our FAQ (first entry). Hope this helps.

25. EF_ICYou

EF_ICYou

It did, thanks.

26. kork

kork

uTomate 1.0.8 hit the asset store. This one received some extra love in the areas of mobile projects and Visual Studio integration, so if you were doing one of this, you get a much better experience now. Happy automating!

27. kork

kork

uTomate is on sale at the Unity Asset Store!

Sale is running this Wednesday, May 8th from 12am PDT - Midnight PDT (that is May 8th, 9.00 to May 9th 9.00 CEST) . Within this timeframe you can get uTomate at 50% off. This is the perfect opportunity to get started with automating your Unity project!

28. kork

kork

The sale just went live at the Unity asset store. Grab your copy now while it's cheap :) Happy automating!

29. kork

kork

A huge thank you to everyone who bought uTomate! Yesterday's sale has been a great success and we hope you are happy with your purchase. If you need help with anything shoot us a mail or ask directly in this thread. We're happy to help you out!

30. kork

kork

Hi everyone, our latest update 1.1.0 was just approved by the Unity guys and is now available in the asset store. Here's the changelog:

New Features
    • Added actions for modifiying player settings for Windows, Mac, Linux (Unity 4 only), Web Player, iOS and Android build targets.
    • Added action for waiting a few seconds. Useful when waiting for external processes or for implementing retry-loops.
    • Inspector renderer is now much more extensible. Custom property renderers can be defined for new property types, so you can now create your own UTxyz properties in a pluggable way.

Improvements
    • uTomate now detects if the project is recompiled while it is running and locks the reloading of assemblies until the current automation plan has finished. This prevents the plan execution from being aborted unexpectedly.
    • You can now run automation plans from their inspector panel.
    • Inspector now gives better feedback when a required property is not entered.
    • Inspector now highlights probable configuration errors in Run external program action.
    • Run external program action now allows to specify a working directory.
    • uTomate's main window now tries to dock next to the inspector.
    • Sub-Plans are now marked with a special icon in the automation plan editor.

Fixes
    • Automatic file extension is no longer offered by the "Build Player" action for the iOS build target as Unity is actually not building an IPA file when building a player for iOS. The option was therefore removed to avoid confusion.
    • Warning messages will now display correctly on properties having a folder select option.
    • Delete file action will no longer throw an exception if the file to delete has already been deleted.
    • GUID of automation plans is now stored in a field named diffrently from "guid" to prevent interference with Unity's external VCS feature. This change will unfortunately wipe all the statistics recorded for the build plans as these are tied to the serialized GUID. If you are still getting GUID error messages after upgrading to 1.1.0 please check our FAQ: http://docs.ancientlightstudios.com/display/UT/Frequently+Asked+Questions
    • Automation plan statistics are no longer cleared when you switch to a different project.
    • Run external program action now no longer throws an exception when running it outside of debug mode.
    • Plans running other plans recursively can now be properly cancelled.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  31. kork

kork

If you have your own asset on the Unity asset store, check out our new video showing how you can use the "Twin Projects" method and uTomate for easy, consistent and repeatable deployments of your asset to the Unity asset store.

32. kork

kork

uTomate is 75% off at the Unity Asset Store - grab your copy today! http://u3d.as/4rA

33. kork

kork

Hello everyone,

we proudly announce the immediate availability of uTomate 1.2.0. This release got a lot of love on the usability front and we even threw in some new actions and the mighty script extensions feature for even more flexibility. Here's the full change log:

New Features
    -----------------------

- Lots of usability improvements (e.g. quickly select, locate and run plans with keyboard shortcuts, etc.).
    - A new action for setting asset labels.
    - A new action for setting scripting compilation define symbols.
    - A new action for asserting conditions.
    - A new action for opening a folder in Explorer/Finder. This action was kindly contributed by Jean Fabre.
    - Script Extensions. It's now possible to write utility functions that can be used inside uTomate's scripts.
    - Several new built-in properties ($unity:version, $unity:supportsIos, ...).

Improvements
    ---------------------

- Set Property action now has a flag which allows to set the property only if it is not yet set.
    - TextAreas in inspectors now have a proper height.
    - Errors in evaluated scripts now produce a much better error message.

Fixes
    ---------------------
    - The string property renderer will no longer throw an exception when rendering an action with a plain string property.

34. Edy

Edy

Thank you for this great tool! I've purchased it and I'm now integrating it in my projects.

I've encountered a problem with the "Copy Files" action. I'm using it for copying files into a folder "Resources" inside Assets, so these files would be forcefully included in the upcoming build. The Automation plan looks like this:

1. Clear files inside folder "/Resources"
    2. Copy some specific files into the folder "/Resources"
    3. Build project.

However, the plan runner seems to prevent the Editor for detecting and importing new assets while the plan is being executed. The files are copied in the step 2, but the Editor doesn't import them until the plan has ended. So the built player has not included them. I've tried inserting a Wait action before the step 3, but the Editor remains "locked".

Is there any way for allow the Editor to properly detect and import the copied files before the Build step? I'd expect a kind of option "allow assets importing" within the Wait action, for example. Otherwise, please let me know if I could modify the code somewhere to fix this.

Thank you!
    Edy

35. Edy

Edy

I've just found a solution. I've created a custom action as described here:

http://docs.ancientlightstudios.com/display/UT/Building+your+own+uTomate+actions

Then added a line
    Code (csharp):
    1. AssetDatabase.Refresh()
    within the Execute function. I've inserted this action after my copy actions (before the step 3 in the previous example plan). Then the Editor imports the files and proceeds to the build using the copied files properly.

36. kork

kork

Hi Edy, that was the same that came to my mind as well. I have attached the unity action to this thread in case someone else needs it. We'll add it to the standard distribution with the next release of uTomate :)

Attached Files:

37. Cripplette

Cripplette

When do you plan to make UTomate functionnal with unity 4.2 ?

Regards

38. kork

kork

It should actually work with Unity 4.2, are you having a specific issue?

39. ironbelly

ironbelly

Great tool which we've purchased mainly for level design stuff but are curious as to it's application in conjuction with our ngui work

40. RalphTrickey

RalphTrickey

I had to replace AspectRatio with UnityEditor.AspectRatio in about a dozen places.

Here is one example.
    support4by3.Value = PlayerSettings.HasAspectRatio(UnityEditor.AspectRatio.Aspect4by3);

Ralph

41. kork

kork

Hmm, could it be by chance that you have a custom class named "AspectRatio" in your project? We had a similar issue once, where someone had a custom class named "Attribute" in his project which basically broke all annotations.

Edit: We released 1.2.1 with a fix for this. Happy automating!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  42. kork

kork

43. kork

kork

The 1-Minute-Tip series continues with "How to quickly run and edit automation plans":

44. kork

kork

If uTomate is on your buying list, today is the day to get it! 65% off at the Unity asset store!

45. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Just purchased it.

One thing I think you need to change is "uTomate" to "awesomate" !! i don't know what do you think? come on people work with me here !!

Nice plugin indeed

46. silentneedle

silentneedle

I would suggest to make the main asset parameter optional (you can pass null in unity).

It also looks like uTomate sets the Project Setting runInBackground to 0, could you please fix that? This is required for the most online-games.

It would also be great to build asset bundles without BuildAssetBundleOptions, especially for single file assetbundles.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  47. zloty

zloty

Thanks for the information. We can include this in the next version of uTomate which is currently being tested.

48. SPG_John

SPG_John

Hi guys, looks like the 4.3 update rewrote portions of the occlusion culling and as a result it's causing some compilation failures with a few of the uTomate files. (http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.3 under the "Culling in Unity has been rewritten" section)

A quick workaround for anyone having problems is to wrap the classes UTBakeOcclusionCullingAction, UTBakeOcclusionCullingActionEditor, and UTStaticOcclusionCullingMode with a #if (UNITY_4_0 || UNITY_4_1 || UNITY_4_2) but that's just a temporary hack.

49. zloty

zloty

thanks for the hint. Download of version 4.3 is already running. :)

If someone needs a preview-version before the update is available just send us a support ticket with the invoice number. support@ancientlightstudios.com

50. kork

kork

We have created a hotfix for the occlusion culling action so it now supports the Unity 4.3 API - this should get your projects back into working state. It is attached to this thread and also available from our uTomate FAQ section..

There are a few more itches with uTomate 1.2.1 and Unity 4.3, especially some display issues with the lists when using the dark skin. We're currently working these out and will release uTomate 1.3.0 ASAP once we got everything updated and tested.

Attached Files: