Search Unity

UTiny and ECS tools

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by dzamani, Dec 5, 2018.

1. dzamani

dzamani

Hi,

Just saw the new blog post about UTiny and the 9 videos workshop. It seems like it has, from what I can see in the videos and the package source code, a few Editor tools allowing it to create ECS scenes with entities and other things inside it.
    I was happy until I saw the code which seems like very tied to UTiny classes / package. Since I know there is something planned for ECS tools outside of UTiny I was wondering how these 2 would work and if they would conflict with each other ? (Say for example I want one unity project with a UTiny project inside and another regular one also there).
    Or maybe the tools of UTiny will be exported from the current package to the Entities package in order to be independent from it ?
    Or there will be a specific package for the "regular version" of ECS ?

Thanks!

PS: I'm not saying that UTiny has a different version of ECS, it's just that it has Editor features that we all want for ECS.

2. orb

orb

After one look at UTiny I no longer want to touch ECS as it is right now, since I know how much better the editor could be. I hope it's coming to regular ECS, as it seems a pain to work with otherwise.

FROS7 likes this.
  3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are working on making the Tiny editor to be the editing tool for Unity.Entities.

Unity.Entities also is what we are talking about as the C# ECS solution for Tiny.So basically we are planning to roll it all into a single product with the tooling you see for tiny right now.

A single way of writing code from 50kb html all the way to big scale 3D games. And a single way of editing data for it.

They started as two separate efforts exploring tiny distribution sizes & high performance scalability. Now that we have proven the space out, and feel like we understand what is required to achieve both, we can make it into a single solution.

chiapet1021, Vacummus, FROS7 and 16 others like this.
  4. recursive

recursive

@Joachim_Ante - in that mode, is there an ETA for when we can use C# systems for / with Tiny? The ForEach example in the doc videos looks suspiciously familiar, will they start to converge when the C# systems lambda situation is figured out?

5. dzamani

dzamani

Awesome!
    That would bring a lot of improvement on current ECS projects, can't wait.

6. 5argon

5argon

The Tiny scene looks like a bunch of GameObjectEntity without the GameObject part which is awesome. The Entity tree to be able to set up by themselves the correct Attach component for the Transform systems would be wonderful.

dzamani likes this.
  7. siggigg

siggigg

This tooling looks amazing!

I too would love a rough ETA for when we can start using this with C# for our ECS project.

Are we talking 2019.1 timeframe?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Does that mean Uniy ECS will soon have better management of 2D ? like a SpriteRendererSystem ?

9. siggigg

siggigg

I recommend you check out the Tiny workshop here:

That framework comes with a bunch of ready-made systems, but whether they will be shipped in a more generalized package remains to be seen.

10. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

They will

siggigg likes this.
  11. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

It's why I ask that ;)

Indeed !

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  12. Ziboo

Ziboo

When are we gonna have Nested Entities ? ^^

13. SubPixelPerfect

SubPixelPerfect

@Joachim_Ante

UTiny introduces few concepts that not present in Unity.Entities :

EntityGroup, ComponentFamily and ComponentBehavior

I wonder is it something we can expect to see implemented in c# in near future?

p.s. UTiny GUI is awesome - this is really cool how you can define new components and construct entities in the editor
    would be very nice to get some very rough ETA on similar GUI for Unity.Entities

FROS7 and siggigg like this.