Search Unity

uSurvival Official Thread - Unity Multiplayer Survival Asset

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, May 14, 2018.

1. mischa2k

mischa2k

News: finished our second community stress test.

Our goal was 100 CCU, because that's what DayZ and Fortnite can handle on a big map.
    We tested 100 CCU worst case scenario on a small map, everyone broadcasting to everyone else.

Looks like we made the right decisions in regards to HLAPI_CE + Telepathy. We stopped the test at 122 CCU because we didn't have more people. 0 packet loss. 0 disconnects. 0 errors.

Detailed screenshot with CPU + RAM + Bandwidth:
    122 far_ip_removed.png

Video:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    TonyLi likes this.
  2. recon0303

recon0303

Hi, there, is there a place that we can get support other than Discord? I don't need it currently. but in the future. in case I need, I would like to know where to go to other than Discord. Thank you.

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

What's wrong with discord?
    You can also get support in this forum thread here. Discord is easiest though.

4. cwxxc3

cwxxc3

The stress test results look great. Does that mean there will be new features added now?

5. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks. Yes, almost done with the networking. We figured out the final step and I am now switching uSurvival over to Mirror. Should be finished tomorrow.

6. recon0303

recon0303

sounds good, not interested in Discord. I won't get into why here.

7. DocQ

DocQ

I was new to Discord also when I joined it to get help with uMMORPG and uSURVIVAL. Trust me when I tell you that you need to join it if you are going to be using these programs by Vis2k. The help you can get there is amazing and instant, compared to email or forums. there are 100's of people on there and most have already experienced the things and have solutions to them.

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.19 pending review!
    • V1.19
      • Changed Networking from UNET to Mirror. Watch the manual upgrade guide if you are updating your custom project from V1.18 to V1.19.
      • Fixed 'ClientScene::AddPlayer: playerControllerId of 0 already in use.' bug when pressing character selection select button too fast while on low fps or high latency. The button is now disabled after pressing select.
      • Documentation updated

recon0303 and Neviah like this.
  9. recon0303

recon0303

hehe. No Thanks. anyways sounds like I can get it here. as well. I'm not new to Discord. I won't get into why. Thanks anyways. :) Its rare I ask for help. anyways. I been programming a long time.but networking is not my strong suit so I mainly bought this to tinker about.

@vis2k keep up the good work, I hate Unet, but this made it more enjoyable.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    mischa2k likes this.
  10. mischa2k

mischa2k

11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

AWESOME! I had high hopes for Ultimate Survival but it just died out. Nice to see that a reputable dev stepped up and started working on a better option. I already own your uMOBA kit and uMMORPG is currently living in my wishlist, but I think this one will have to jump to the front of the line! Keep up the awesome work! Looking forward to grabbing this and see where you take the kit! Also, I love the fact that you are focusing on the core and not adding all kinds of fluff! Hopefully will have in my toolbox in the next month or two! :)

mischa2k likes this.
  12. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks. The core is always most important yes, people sometimes keep forgetting that.

13. mischa2k

mischa2k

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  14. mischa2k

mischa2k

15. TerraEbb

TerraEbb

Vis,

I was thinking about resource harvesting to allow players to gather resources for something like a building object recipe. Most survival games have some rendition of this. I know we have pick-able objects, and right now this can be achieved by just picking up objects that are sticks and stones. How difficult would it be to extend the NPC combat system to include immobile objects that do not fight back and when damaged to the point of destruction just drop stone and wood. I have not tried to set something like this up yet but it is on my to do list. I figure the blood spatter could be replaced with wood splinter and stone dust effects. Not sure on the attack sound I cannot recall if that can be replaced easily with the system as it is now and it would be good to add in a felled tree death animation. I don't know if this makes sense or if it would be a poor use of the combat system. Thoughts?

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

I will add resource harvesting soon, don't worry about it.
    There are so many different ways to do it though, so I need to decide which one is best and most simple to modify in case someone wants a different way.

BackwoodsGaming and TerraEbb like this.
  17. Player7

Player7

Got his yesterday.. quick question is there a solution to the thirdperson and firstperson camera where in ffirst person mode the body head is hidden completely.. under-stable as you need the camera in that position, however it also prevents the head from showing in any shadows... is there some solution to that where you can get best of both?

18. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

@vis2k, would it be possible when you add systems like this and the building system to maybe put them in as addons. That way if we do want a different harvesting system or use a different building system, this stuff isn't part of the core and we can easily swap them out without core changes? I've been playing around with uMMORPG this weekend with Fhiz's addons and love how easy it is to extend with the addons that you simply drop in. I haven't got to any that require core changes yet but I know that I'll encounter that probably with the crafting and quest ones that are part of uMMORPG.

At any rate, just an idea to play around with if those kind of things could actually be official Vis addons in uSurvival that could be easily swapped with other styles/options either that we develop ourselves or get from the community.

And by the way, after seeing and dealing with your community on Discord I'm even more confident in your systems. Keep up the awesome work!!!

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey!
    That part is not ideal for several reasons. The model and the animations are just not very good. I need proper ones with the arms being separated to get this right.

I suppose you could also set the head to a specific layer and tell the camera to not render that layer while in first person mode. Now that I think about it, I will probably do that in the code myself soon. So if you wait a few weeks then the problem should solve itself.

It would be possible yes. Will have to think about it. I definitely want to add the most minimalistic building / harvesting system that could work in all games. Will see when it's both done.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  20. Player7

Player7

yes using the layer system sounds like a good workaround..hopefully not weeks, do you do beta release updates on discord or website we can put in order number and get more regular updates?

21. mischa2k

mischa2k

I don't, but will try to get it done asap

BackwoodsGaming and Player7 like this.
  22. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.22 pending review! uSurvival is still on sale by the way.
    swimming2.png

• Mirror updated to latest version (NetworkManager shows max connections again)
    • PlayerHotbar.TryUseItem: disabled debug.drawline because it used camera.main, which is very slow
    • Ranged Weapon zoom
    • Item Durability
    • Documentation updated
    • Fall damage
    • Damage Areas (Player and Zombie head shots cause more damage now)
    • Crouch Key changed to C
    • Crouching state is now toggled when pressing C, instead of having to hold the key down. This is better because laying down will work the same way later, instead of holding a laying-down key
    • Removed MinimapTexture because it was never used
    • UI Equipment Avatar
    • Battle Royale Addon
    • Crawling; Moved Volund CapsuleCollider to hips so it follows crouch/crawling animations properly; increased Volund CharacterController radius so monster doesn't slide to him now that this is the main collider; Replaced fence mesh collider with a more generous box collider so player still fits through the entry.
    • PlayerMovement.OnTriggerExit: set state to IDLE
    • Swimming & Water

Hitch42 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  23. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

Hi,

I haven't purchased yet - is the WebGL one the latest version?

24. mischa2k

mischa2k

It is now!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  25. heyouicmoi

heyouicmoi

Hi,

I've been using this asset for 3 monts now and I'm loving it. The code is easy to understand/well-commented, so thanks!
    I have some questions though.

Is it really necessary to save the character data every minute? Since my game will probably not have many players, is it risky to only save the data when the player disconnects? (For example when the player quits I want to put a countdown before closing the game so I can call the CharacterSave function).

I want my game to also have a singleplayer mode, so I would like to create another "World" scene where there is no chat, there is no login UI etc... Of course beside the multiples errors in the console, is it really problematic to use this template for an hybrid (singleplayer/multiplayer) game? Will I have to re-do a lot of things to have better performances or it doesn't matter?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  26. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks!
    It is absolutely not necessary to save every minute. I recommend every 5-10 minutes instead. It's every minute right now so that people don't get confused if they play for a minute, press stop, press start again and nothing was saved.

For single player you can use Server & Play mode. Remove what you don't need then.

27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Can you please made a tutorial how to change player model, npc model, weapons etc???

28. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

mischa2k and pushingpandas like this.
  29. mischa2k

mischa2k

Next version pending review:

V1.25
    • Falling Tree position is now reset when respawning
    • Trees now have NetworkTransform component to fix sync issues
    • Storage prefab renamed
    • Storage NetworkProximityChecker update interval set to 5
    • Tree NetworkProximityChecker update interval set to 5

30. WeedBurger

WeedBurger

If you would add basic vehicles it would be golden. Really good work and price is very satisfying

pushingpandas likes this.
  31. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Craftable vehicle air/land/sea :D

32. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

?? We can hack trees?

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

With the axe yes. You can chop them down.

mcbauer and pushingpandas like this.
  34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

any chance for vehicles (drivable)?

35. mischa2k

mischa2k

That will be very difficult, I would have to learn vehicle physics first. Definitely not any time soon.

pushingpandas likes this.
  36. WeedBurger

WeedBurger

You could use unitys defoult vehicle system.

37. mischa2k

mischa2k

That doesn't work over the network.
    And last time I tried it it didn't feel right either.

38. oneru220

oneru220

Hi.
    Thanks for this asset. Does it work with secure WebSocket connection? I tried to connected by the http:// and it worked good. But with https:// connection I could not connect. I ran Usurvival server on the Windows 8, without running Apache or NGINX on my PC. Just turned off firewall. Server and WebGL build was made with Unity 2018.2.3 version
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  39. mischa2k

mischa2k

I still use UNET's LLAPI for websockets, which does not support SSL (https). We will add our own Websocket code to Mirror soon though, will see if we can do something about SSL then too.

40. roger0

roger0

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Adding ufps will be difficult I guess. Anything that you want to add needs to work over the network with Mirror.
    Unity has experimental navmesh components on github (or bitbucket?) somewhere that allows you to bake at runtime yes.

42. Tegleg

Tegleg

hello
    the server/client system you use is a total nightmare to get a client connected so i tried using unity's network manager as well as the lobby manager asset.
    when the player spawns it is unable to move.

i am guessing certain things are assigned in code when its instantiated.
    what are these things and where, which script, is responsible?

thanks

43. cwxxc3

cwxxc3

Does this mean you'll add separated first person hand models? Are you planning to add this eventually?

44. mischa2k

mischa2k

What do you mean?
    You just build, select 'server only' and then in the Editor you press Play and select 'Login', that's it.
    It already uses Unity's NetworkManager - the class is the same in Mirror.

45. mischa2k

mischa2k

Maybe. Will think about it when I buy new 3D models from an artist.

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  46. Tegleg

Tegleg

thank you for your quick response.
    starting the server is fine, i cant seem to get a client to connect though.
    login does nothing, using the server ip fails to connect. this is from the editor.

while i am testing i just want an easy way for the client (other team mate) to join, either just by pressing join or using the server browser on the unity lobby asset.
    using the lobby, the client can join but both server and client players do not move.

im looking for info on how the player is initialized, or how control is given to the player.
    ill just keep digging through the code.
    thanks

47. cwxxc3

cwxxc3

You definitely should. That way we can actually aim-down-sight and having weapon modifications would be a lot easier to add

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  48. mischa2k

mischa2k

Check firewalls etc.
    If you want your friend to connect to your computer then you also need to do port forwarding.
    The Unity lobby asset has lots of bugs by the way, I wouldn't recommend using it. I used it for uMOBA for a while and it was a lot of pain.

49. mcbauer

mcbauer

I'm trying to develop a game for my boys to try and get them into game design, and I'm struggling to find a multiplayer solution. I got pretty far with Unet, but ended up getting too frustrated. I'm new to multiplayer so bare with me.

So far I like what I see with your product, and your response above regarding to Tegleg about launching and connecting with Server only, helped me get connected so thanks for that.

A couple of questions if I may:

I really like Invector's character setup, but don't mind redoing the setup if I have to, but have you had any luck with implementing a 3rd party player setup like that? Or suggestion to adding it?

I want this deployed on their tablets so they can play together so I need this running on mobile, any issues with that?

My initial plan is to run the server on my home pc and have the boys connect to that, but can you recommend a better solution or is this the best plan for this stage of development? At some point I hope to launch this game publicly on the play store, but for now I just want to see them playing in the same world on their tablets!

Finally, the reason I left unet was because there is about 50 threads of people asking basically the same question I have, with zero answers, so in order to keep making progress, I needed to find another solution. My question is, will I be able to allow them to choose a player ( I see that is probably a safe bet ) and then have them switch players in game? This was where things came to a halt for me in unet. I could not get the player prefabs to switch.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll bounce over to discord in the future for the rest of my support questions

50. mischa2k

mischa2k

I don't recommend using any other character controller. These things are really difficult to do for multiplayer.

Sure you can run it on your home pc. Later on rent a VPS or Dedicated server if needed.

You can remove a player and then call ServerAddPlayer again if needed. Or switch out the Mesh.

tylerguitar75 and mcbauer like this.