Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uSkyPro – Precomputed Atmospheric Scattering [2.0 Beta]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Luckymouse, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Shader error in 'Hidden/uSkyPro/AtmosphericScattering_Occlusion': Can't find include file uSkyPostEffect.cginc at line 18

Deleted Usky and imported the latest Usky version but I get this error? Why? Using Unity 5.4.0

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

And how can I stop Usky version 2 to go back to Default mode if I want Realistic mode? Also: where is a tutorial about adding the clouds from version 1 to version 2? I get some strange and unstable results, sometimes Usky works perfectly with the clouds, sometimes the clouds become black and the atmospheric scattering is gone. Any tips or advice on this? (What I did to make the clouds works it just put version 1 and 2 in the same scene and uncheck version 1, but this does not seem to be stable enough)

3. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I installed the latest uSky version v1.2.1 from the store in a new 5.4 project, it seems working completely fine.
    Please check following condition,
    1) After installed uSky, is uSkyPostEffect.cginc file in folder path: uSky/uSkyPro Beta 2/Shaders?
    2) Have you move the AtmosphericScattering_Occlusion.shader file after installed uSky?
    It needed be in the same folder with uSkyPostEffect.cginc file.

I believe you are regarding the uSkyPro demo scene, right?
    In uSkyPro demo scene that there has a MouseDragTimelineController script attached to Sun Light. This is a control for you to use the mouse to drag the screen and to control the sun direction while playing the scene. It works with Default mode only, so it will auto switched to Default mode in play mode or runtime.

Solution : you can just delete this MouseDragTimelineController component in the "Sun" game object.
    (In the demo scene the sun is a child game object of uSkyPro.)

I mentioned it already in the NOTE section of uSkyPro_Setup.txt in documentation folder.

Right now the uSky 1.X clouds will Not work in uSkyPro, it is only for uSky 1.X only. Current uSkyPro is a beta and it does not have clouds yet.

By user requests, I'm converting this uSky 1.X static 2D clouds to work with uSkyPro now, It will be included in next update. I finished this conversion already, just doing some testing before submit it. Should be submit it tomorrow and available very soon in AssetsStore.

Both versions are Not compatible each other. Use either one, and do Not combine both version in same scene.

(Keep in mind that I'm still working on the new procedural 3D clouds for uSkyPro as well.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Purpleshine84 and SAOTA like this.
  4. Wizard-Games

Wizard-Games

I am also having the issue where specular and metalic is not showing up in scenes with usky, can you tell me how you were able to fix this issue?

5. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Apart from these questions I have another problem. I use the Hair Tool from Shpakivnia. The only problem I have really with Usky (Pro) is when I use the atmospheric scattering, the hair becomes transparent, his shader is an Unlit/Hair shader (from the Hair Tool). Of course I will also ask this question to him but I thought maybe you have some ideas about what causes this.

And of course a picture of the problem:

Best regards, Maurice

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Do you mean the specular highlight is not showing in the scene? if so please read the "uSkyPro_Lighting_SceneSetting " help file in uSky/uSkyPro Beta 2/Documentation folder.
    If not this specular highlight problem, please attach a picture help me to understand your issue.

After you move the shader back to right folder, you need to re-import the file. You can do that by right click on the shader file, then you will have drop down context menu for re-import.

If the shader links with other ".cginc" file, you can not move that shader to different folder. The shader will not find the cginc file anymore due to the file path changed.
    In general, you can move the root folder around, such as, uSky, uSkyPro or Shader folder, but not the shader files.
    Also you can just remove the uSky folder or installed files and do the brand new import, it will fix your problem too.

Sorry I don't have release date of 3D clouds for now.

I believe his hair material is not writing to z-buffer, that will not work on image effect which requires scene materials with z-buffer. His shader should have the same problem with many other unity built-in image effects which likes GlobalFog etc. This problem has to be solved by that asset developer.

#Note if his hair works with unity GlobalFog image effects, please lets me know.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Purpleshine84 likes this.
  8. Wizard-Games

Wizard-Games

oops i had the alpha of the cameras background set to 0 for some reason

i know the 3d clouds are a ways away, but any eta on getting the 2d ones upgraded to work with the beta?

9. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

The 2D clouds for uSkyPro is already uploaded to Asset Store, pending reviewing now. I believe it will be available around next week.

10. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

New version 1.3.0 on the AssetStore.
    Added Clouds 2D for uSkyPro.
    [EDIT]
    In case you did not read the change log file in uSkyPro folder.
    Here is the complete change log:
    - Adapted uSky 1.X clouds to uSkyPro. This component called "uSkyClouds2D" and "uSkyPro Clouds 2D" material,
    also included the "uSkyPro Clouds 2D Plane" material for the 2D plane clouds.
    Change Note:
    * Now it uses only single "Red" channel of the clouds texture. The previous 1.X clouds texture should able to work directly in this material.
    (Recommended increase the horizon transparent in the texture to get better horizion blending.)

* Added the "Ambient Source" parameter for the clouds ambient that can be used from Sky or Equator color.

* Added scatter term in the clouds rendering and added new "Scatter Multiplier" parameter to overide the brightness.
    Improved shading of the clouds luminance nearby the sun and moon.

* Now the direct lighting of night clouds shaded slightly brighter from moon light that give better volume shading result at night time.
    Also the ambient brightness of night clouds is based on the moon light intensity, ambient gradient, night zenith color and Outer Space Intensity.

* Renamed "Sun Color multiplier" to "Light Color multiplier", corrected term of the direct lighting on clouds that included both sun and moon.

* Renamed "Opacity mask" parameter to "Clouds Density" and improved masking the moon and stars at night time.

* Reflection Probe will automatically update If clouds material settings have changed.
    (It will not update if the RotateSpeed parameter change.)

* The uSkyClouds2D requires the uSkyLighting component to work properly.

* Note: This uSkyClouds2D will have slightly rendering result then original uSky 1.X.
    That due to different pre-set ambient gradient color in uSkyLighting component, it can be manual re-adjust.

- Added the uSkyClouds2D component in "uSkyPro Prefab" and "Basic Scene" Demo by default.

- Added an Timeline window that always floating in front of the main editor window.
    It is useful for time cycle lighting testing, and no need to select the uSkyPro gameobject.
    Usage: go to menu: Window/uSky Timeline window

- Modified the "MouseDragTimelineController" component that it will Not force to switch "Default" type in uSkyTimeline anymore.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    JBT27, nxrighthere and Detniess like this.
  11. JBT27

JBT27

Thanks for adding the original cloud system to Pro. Looking really nice - like the refinements.

Luckymouse likes this.
  12. txarly

txarly

hi,

How can i attach the sun shafts to the shafts caster? i only see the moon object
    I have tried with the directional light but doesn´t move with the sun

thank you

13. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Built-in unity SunShafts does not work with directional light, that has been mentioned on earlier page 7,9,10 of this threads. Please download the modified version file here that supports for directional light. However as far as I know that It doesn't seem working too well with uSkyPro due to the brightness filtering. So new uSkyLightShafts for uSkyPro is on the way and will be available very soon. It is much better than unity SunShafts.

14. txarly

txarly

Thank you Luckymouse, i wish unity forums give us the option to search inside one forum.

15. JBT27

JBT27

I'm getting this problem with USky Pro and the Atmospheric Scattering script. There's a brighter line of fuzzy fog across the lower middle of the pic. I can't find a way to even it out. I was thinking it might be related to the horizon line - I have the SkyBox Ocean disabled here, but it does kind of look like it's in line with the horizon. Any ideas please?

16. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

@JBT27
    Yes, I noticed that problem too. For now only option to remove that artifacts (less obvious) is lower the Mie Scattering value in uSkyPro. The original author Eric Bruneton actually tried to fix it in his precomputed atmospheric scattering codes, but it is still not able completely remove the horizon issue.

I'm looking for solution for that as well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    JBT27 likes this.
  17. JBT27

JBT27

OK - thanks. I'll do your suggestion to reduce how obvious it is, and hope there will be a solution to this sooner than later.

18. Reedmand

Reedmand

Hello, Luckymouse,

I have a problem. I want to create a variable with type of uSkyTimeline component on UnityScript(JavaScript) to control uSky Timeline from other script, but Unity can't find namespace "usky" on this component and gives an error messages.
    Can you help me to solve this problem? Thanks.
    FZWoirbRLrM.jpg YQPQwMVjjrg.jpg

19. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

1) Create a Plugins folder in the root of Assets folder.

2) Put uSkyPro folder (or uSky folder) inside this Plugins folder.
    So the folder path should be like this: Assets/Plugins/uSkyPro

3) Add import usky; code at the top of your java script.
    make sure your java script not in that same Plugins folder. (Any other folder)

This will let uSky compile earlier then your java script, so now it is able to access uSky c-sharp script.
    If you want to know more, go to unity doc here.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  20. Reedmand

Reedmand

Thanks, it works :)

Luckymouse likes this.
  21. magique

magique

The latest uSky Pro is looking great. I had a short playtesting session of my game last night on the Wii U and 2 people who never saw the game before commented on how great they thought it looked. One said that they were very impressed and didn't think the Wii U could do something that looked that good. I believe a lot of credit for how good it looks goes to a combination of uSky Pro and PRISM. Thanks for making such a great asset.

Luckymouse and Shodan0101 like this.
  22. ACarrozzini

ACarrozzini

Hello Luckymouse,

Firstly, thank you for your awesome plugin !

I have a question regarding Unity 5.5 beta. I tried your basic demo scene and I'm experiencing some weird behaviours. The clouds seems to appear in the front line. Any ideas ?

uskyProCloudsProblems.png

Thanks !

23. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Thanks. After you reported this issue that I did some test on unity 5.5 beta. It turns out the Z-buffer inverted in 5.5.
    Beside the clouds shader, the uSky image effects shaders broken also on DX11. I need some time to find out the solution for that and update them in next version. So currently uSky does not support for unity 5.5 beta.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  24. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Luckymouse, thank you for an amazing asset! Just a quick question how far are you with the Sunshafts "uSky" version, will that be part of your next update? Im looking for that atmospheric volumetric light shafts ;)

25. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Thanks. Yes I'm implementing the light shafts to uSkyPro now and will be available in next update.

Shodan0101 and JBT27 like this.
  26. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Awesome! Thank you Luckymouse!!

27. eskovas

eskovas

Hello there Luckymouse,

Got uSky and i'm really liking it. The quality and performance are just outstanding. Here's a screenshot at night :) :
    dark.png

To add more realism to the scene, i'm using the directional light with cookies to cast cloud shadows onto the environment. These can kinda fool the player, but the shadows aren't actually correct, and if the light doesn't rotate, the shadows will stay the same.
    Do you think cloud shadows through the directional light cookies would be feasible for uSky? Would be a great addition to further improve visual quality.

Awesome asset :)

Luckymouse likes this.
  28. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Glad to know you enjoy using uSky and thanks for the suggestion. Clouds shadow or shadows cookie for the light is in development list, but it is not a priority at the moment. My plan is add this feature after the new clouds 3D is finished. However I may implement something simple animated shadow cookie via 2D texture later on as well, i can't promise the date yet.

Right now my main priority still need to polish the current atmospheric scattering image effects, and finish the clouds 3d.

eskovas likes this.
  29. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Other news that I fixed the compatible issue with unity 5.5 beta, it will update along with the new LightShaft in coming version. Planning to submit that in next week.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  30. McSwan

McSwan

Hi,
    I'm thinking about buying this product but was wondering why it was still in beta? Is there a serious flaw that makes it unusable? I would like to use it in a system that has 18 tiled together terrains and a UI. Will this work?

31. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

That is a good question, the reason it is still in beta that the atmospheric scattering image effect is still in early stage, need to do some more polishing. Beside other main reason that the new procedural 3d clouds is not none yet.

Other than that, currently uSkyPro added the 2d clouds, and it is very stable to use it in your project.
    The atmospheric scattering of uSkyPro is based on real earth scale, it seems working pretty well in bigger scene than smaller scene, so i believe it will fit on your 18 tiled terrains scene.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    StaffanEk and Shodan0101 like this.
  32. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

33. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Fixed all issue with 5.5, and submitted to assetstore, pending review now.

Shodan0101 and StaffanEk like this.
  34. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Incoming Sunshafts!!!!!!! Im so excited!! ;D

Luckymouse likes this.
  35. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Yes, you should be excited.;) I believe that after you try this new LightShaft you have no reason not using it for your outdoor scene anymore!

While waiting for availability at assetstore, I explain some detail about this new uSky LightShaft here. It is based on Unreal technical paper, and currently UE4 is still using this same technique for their LightShaft effect. There are a lot enhanced features that compares with unity SunShafts, Here is the features list:

1) It comes with shafts occlusion, and fairly cheap to renders it. So it will not only brighten the scene, and also darken the scene in occluded area. Of course the occlusion darkness is adjustable.

2) Occlusion effect will always work without any realtime light shadow enabled in the scene.
    Note: This occlusion is screen space effects, it will do full sky occlusion as well. However it effect will only appeared when the occlude objects is near by the sun/ shaft origin. This effect is different from implemented world space of unity blacksmith occlusion which occlusion can be render even to sun is off(out side) of the screen.

3) LightShafts color will automatically blend with the background skybox color, and always render a natural looking color from midday to sunset.

4) LightShaft bloom is always circulate shape with corrected aspect ratio and regardless to your screen aspect.

5) Improved screen brightness filtering and masking where the origin should start to render the LightShaft.

6) Improved screen edge fade out.

7) Improved radial blur quality.

8) It comes with exclusive debug view mode.

Also, It is mobile friendly.

One more thing, this LightShaft was done in early day during Unity 4.x period. There are one thing remaining that I need to improve is sky clouds occlusion. Originally it was using the screen alpha to mask out the clouds (skybox cubemap alpha channel), but today it does not working too well, so temporary disable that. I will see what I can do with it when new clouds system comes in. Most likely it needs to be rendered an additional clouds mask for that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Shodan0101, nxrighthere and StaffanEk like this.
  36. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Christmas came early and I`m like a 8 year old kid again waiting to open my present and I cant wait any longer... so excited haha!! Thank you so much Luckymouse it sounds like an amazing update on your Sunshafts version and thx for taking the time to write an in depth explanation on the features! You are adding an immense amount of fuel to my fire again thx ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Luckymouse likes this.
  37. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

uSky_New_Version.png New version 1.4.0 on the AssetStore now.

- NOTE: The uSky 1.X will not be included in the package anymore. It have not been updated since v1.1.9. and stopped further development. The uSky 1.X unitypackage backup download URL link is in the _ChangLog file.

REQUIREMENT: UNITY EDITOR VERSION 5.3.6 OR NEWER

Key Feature
    • Added "uSkyLightShafts" component.
    LightShafts_Setting.jpg
    • Compatible with Unity 5.5 beta.

- Added uSky LightShafts component. It is a standalone image effect that apply to camera. This is fairly light weight and mobile friendly.
    This new LightShafts that you can find in Component/uSkyPro menu as usual.

* This LightShafts comes with new type of screen space based radial occlusion. User can choose between the world space based "Scatter Occlusion" ("Black Smith" version)
    or this new built-in light shafts radial occlusion.

* Radial occlusion will be available only using LightShafts effect and will affect on sky (skybox) as well.

* Note that the radial occlusion does Not required realtime light shadow (or shadow cascades and shadow distance) to work.

Modified currently "uSkyPro Atmospheric Scattering" demo scene that added LightShaft, and now disabled the Scatter Occlusion by default.

- Added the option for high quality sun disk rendering in mobile skybox shader (Same as uSkyPro sun disk).
    Default enabled "#define USKY_SUNDISK_HQ" macro in "uSkyboxPro Mobile SM2" shader file.
    It can switch back to cheaper sun version by commenting out this macro.

- Fixed all shaders with compatible issue for Unity 5.5 beta with new inverted Z-buffer graphics api.

- Fixed the Clouds 2D direct light shading gets darken issue when the sun light is dimmer then the ambient light.

- Removed material title bar display in the uSkyClouds2D component, which looks more simplified in inspector.

- Disabled the Realtime Reflection Probe update for any uSkyPro Clouds 2D parameters changed in Play or Runtime mode.
    It costs too much cpu overhead to detect the clouds material parameters changed in runtime, thus now it will only reatime update in Editor mode.
    The Reflection Probe will still update as expected when start up in runtime and time cycle has been changed.

- Improved supports for Single-Pass stereo rendering in unity editor 5.4 and newer. (Looking for more user report on that)

- Improved uSky Timeline window that will not close when editor enter/exit the play mode or editor is compiling script.

- Improved "uSkyFogGradient" and "uSkyReflectionProbeUpdater" that now they will always update when sun or moon light direction has changed, even uSkyPro component did not apply to the scene.

- Re-adjust the uSkyPro skybox sun size, it is now slightly bigger by default and it matches the size of the unity procedural skybox size.

- Other small bugs fixed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  38. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Hey Guys, finally LightShafts is here which I have been promised a while ago, hopefully you guys like it.

My next priority is focus on atmospheric scattering effect. I noticed the mie scattering artifact bug reported by JBT27, that really bother me a lot and it needs to be fix. Also it needs to add the fogginess/haziness effect and improve the performance as well.

About the clouds, now uSkyPro has an old school style 2D clouds, it is fast and play well on VR project or mobile. I know the clouds shading is not totally great, but I believe it serves well in general purpose for now. Right now, atmospheric scattering effect it-self is already quite heavy, if it added procedural clouds 3D will not be very practical for game play. Most of the effect works usually pretty well by it-self, but if it works together with others, that is whole other story. I believe after the atmospheric scattering effect gets completely done and improved, the clouds 3d comes in after that will make more sense.

After the atmospheric scattering effect gets well polished, "Beta" title will be remove as a release version.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  39. imgumby

imgumby

Was considering purchasing this but saw you'll be charging your beta testers $10 upgrade fee for the privilege of providing you data to bring to final version...will never buy an(other) asset that forces paid upgrades. Which is contrary to asset store rule #9 .Been there done that..started the revolt...
    good luck

40. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

As I understand that so you rather I should not release 2.0 beta free for current uSky 1.0 users. Just charge the upgrade fee after I finish the new 2.0 version?

Beside, If people purchase now and pay the upgrade fee, they still got 20% discount. So sounds not fair?

There are always earlybird price and final release price, If you don't want to buy this because it called "Beta", thats fine.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  41. magique

magique

I'm still confused about the $10 upgrade fee as well. Currently I have the beta so once this is out of beta is it going to be a separate asset that then requires the $10 upgrade?

42. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I have not do any upgrade before, can't 100% sure everything, as I read the unity publisher doc, after uSkyPro released it should be in the same asset package with different version, upgrade fee just for newer version.

About the upgrade, I don't want it to be confused or someone get wrong idea about it. Original uSky started about two years ago. uSkyPro is a major version update, to make this new version complete takes time and progress, so during the development I added many value and new features that just keep give it for free to all uSky 1.X users. We have many indie developers in unity community here, I keep this package as affordable as possible for very long time.
    The upgrade fee does support me to go further development for this asset, appreciated for who agree and think it is worth it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  43. ftejada

ftejada

hi

I am very interested in your asset, but before buying it I would like to be able to test it thoroughly to see the results, in realism of image, in performance, Incompatibility with any of my assets, etc ...

Can you pass me a trial version to test it?

regards

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  44. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Sure. We can discuss that further over PM.

ftejada likes this.
  45. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

New update version 1.4.1 on the AssetStore.
    - Fixed the Clouds 2D scatter shading bug after clouds rotated animation.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  46. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi, is there any option to disable tone mapping?
    I have a issue that material surfaces does not become real white. They look always green-yellow like.

Thanks

47. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Just check HDR toggle in "uSkyPro > Other" section, it will disable built-in uSky tonemapping.

48. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Seems like a misnomer. Wouldn't it be better if it was called "Internal tonemapping"?

49. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Yes, Internal tonemapping maybe better term for that.

50. roborb

roborb

Now that you're getting further along, is there a chance you could come back to making a way to use the asset for high-altitude or orbital scenes?

I'd really love for a way to have a rocket go from surface to orbit with your system. Maybe a way to fade your asset out when getting close to orbit, and having a different asset for in-orbit?