Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Using WebRTC package as a client for Unity Render Streaming

Discussion in 'Unity Render Streaming' started by dtaddis, Jan 15, 2021.

1. dtaddis

dtaddis

Hello,

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is the WebRTC package appropriate to be used as a client for remotely viewing another Unity app, using Unity Render Streaming? We would like to use it for Edge Rendering, i.e. render a scene on a PC then view it on an Android/iOS device running our client app.

We can't just use a browser because we want to add extra details on the client, and make the whole process invisible to the user.

If so, what is the sample in the WebRTC package closest to being able to do that (I don't see any that obviously set up a remote URL)?

Thanks,
    David

2. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

About the WebRTC package, the mobile device support has been worked on since last month. iOS platform support is already published as version 2.3 and Android support will be released in February or March.

salvolannister, LostPanda and dtaddis like this.
  3. dtaddis

dtaddis

Hi Kazuki, thanks very much for your reply.

The Android support coming is great news - we are looking for a cross-platform solution.

I was more asking if this is an appropriate use of WebRTC - is it already compatible with Unity Render Streaming out of the box? Which of the WebRTC sample scenes would be a good starting point for that?

4. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Currently, we are preparing the new version of Unity Render Streaming which supports iOS platform. It should be released in February.
    The "VideoReceive" scene in the WebRTC sample is the simplest to demonstrate video streaming. But this sample works locally only, you need to implement the signaling process yourself.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.webrtc@2.3/manual/index.html#samples

5. dtaddis

dtaddis

Ok, that's good to know, thank you.

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on how to do exactly that (implement the signaling) - half of it will have been done already by Unity Render Streaming's webserver, right? So I would need to know what to get and push to start getting the video stream from there?

6. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

7. aksik_

aksik_

Hello, I see there aren't any official builds with android support, but there is an experimental branch. Can I somehow use it?

EDIT: I managed to use the experimental plugin, but on my android device I get an exception "Unable to load dll 'webRTC': the specified module could not be found". Is there anything I can do about it?

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. gtk2k

gtk2k

@krystianjablonski3
    * Set Player-> Android-> Other Settings-> Scripting Backend in Project Settings to IL2CPP
    * Set Player-> Android-> Other Settings-> Target Architectures in Project Settings to ARM64
    * Make sure you have the libwebrtc.aar file in Plugins / Android
    Unity Render Streaming currently only supports ARM64.

9. aksik_

aksik_

That worked! Thank you so much!

10. mrSaig

mrSaig

Will there also be webGl support? Soon or later?

11. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Currently, we don't have a plan to support WebGL.
    But it would be possible to change the priority if we get requests from more users.

mrSaig likes this.
  12. w_adams

w_adams

I would like to lodge a request for WebGL support.. :)

Stexe and mrSaig like this.
  13. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Stexe likes this.
  14. simu3105

simu3105

Hi,
    I want to followup on "dtaddis" request here.
    I have more or less the same request and I hope that someone can guide me.
    My goal is to create an app which has AR on client-A and streams this to client-B. In the same time client-B should be able to stream his cam to client-A and bidrectional on both clients with Audio. client-A should receive events from client-B. Client-B should be Browser or WebGL, client-A IOS/Android.
    Basically it seems that Unity-WebRTC Package does match the requirements, but I cannot read if it is compatible with AR and signaling process is missing. If I screen Unity-Render-Streaming, I'm confused and not 100% sure if bidrectional Video/Audio Browser<>iOS/Android is working.
    Does anyone knows more about these two packages and may guide me to the right solution?

15. mfgcto

mfgcto

Hi ,
    Could you please let me know, if AR screen sharing is possible using webrtc in unity for Android and if it's available.
    I am stuck with the signalling server part of the webrtc could someone provide me an implementation example which I could use as a starting guide

CloudyVR likes this.
  16. RawanShehata

RawanShehata

Is it possible to create an android game and play it on an android phone while streaming on another phone ?

17. TropicalCyborg

TropicalCyborg

18. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Can I stream a camera from one Unity project and see the rendered image in another Unity project? I can't figure out how to make render streaming work and keep seeing "Signaling: WS connection closed, code: 1006" appear repeatedly.

I've searched for hours and can't find any explanation or documentation that shows how to get any of the examples working.

19. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

You need to launth the webapp with "w" option to use WebSocket protocol.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.renderstreaming@3.1/manual/webapp.html

CloudyVR likes this.
  20. qskakar

qskakar

I want to do almost the same thing as @simu3105 but haven't found any tutorial/sample on the web. I want to create a cross platform video chat app between IOS/Android and Browser using WebRTC. I have already implemented the browser's implementation and the Unity implementation using video streaming with WebRTC but I am confused about how to connect them both using a signaling server / Unity render streaming.

@simu3105 did you solve your problem? If yes, then can you provide any solution on how you did this? Thanks.

21. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

qskakar likes this.
  22. DinostabOMG

DinostabOMG

I am wondering if you have any information about how to get started with the networking aspects of the signaling process, that you mention we have to implement ourselves. Going through the WebRTC tutorials and samples, they always have two local instances of RTCPeerConnection but I have seen no indication of how this would look in a networked environment of any kind. Is there any sample available anywhere of a Unity WebRTC app running on two different computers? In our case we want to have in-game voice chat that includes an arbitrary data channel.

23. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Please read this document.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.renderstreaming@3.1/manual/index.html

24. mohammedshetaya

mohammedshetaya

Does this mean that I am able to build the unity app with render streaming on android?

25. gtk2k

gtk2k

yes

26. mohammedshetaya

mohammedshetaya

That is great. So I can share with you what I am seeking to achieve. I need to build a unity application with ARFoundation and stream that app to the browser. so is this achievable?

27. gtk2k

gtk2k

I think you can use the ScreenStreamSender component.

28. mohammedshetaya

mohammedshetaya

I have added a render streaming, broadcast, and a ScreenStreamSender components to the ar camera. It does not work and I am getting a black screen on the browser.

29. mohammedshetaya

mohammedshetaya

Now it works only if I make the ar camera to render in a target texture, so I need the ar foundation camera to render to both a target texture and the screen. Any ideas?

30. kannan-xiao4

kannan-xiao4

Unity Technologies

Copy to another RenderTexture in the OnPostRenderMethod on arcamera.
    and sending that copied RenderTexture. How is it?

31. mohammedshetaya

mohammedshetaya

I am using the following script in order to blit the camera frames to a render texture. the only problem here is that it does not show the rendered image it only shows the camera with no rendering. to explain this more if I am having a 3d cube in the ARFoundation scene, this script will show the camera without the cube on the render texture, although the scene is rendered on the screen normally. what I need to do is to render on both the camera and the rendered texture.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class CameraTextureMixer : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    4.     [SerializeField]
    5.     private RenderTexture ARTexture;
    7.     private void Awake()
    8.     {
    9.         ARCameraManager cameraManager = GetComponent<ARCameraManager>();
    10.         ARCameraBackground ARBackground = GetComponent<ARCameraBackground>();
    12.         cameraManager.frameReceived += (e) =>
    13.         {
    14.             foreach (var t in e.textures)
    15.             {
    16.                 Graphics.Blit(t, ARTexture, ARBackground.material);
    17.             }
    18.         };
    20.     }

32. kannan-xiao4

kannan-xiao4

Unity Technologies

I think it's better to ask in the AR Forum about how to correctly Bilt the display contents of the AR camera to the Render Texture.
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/ar.161/
    (I've tried it in the past, but I've experienced that it doesn't work like Bilt on a Normal camera...)

33. teripak2

teripak2

I am using WebRTC 2.4.0-exp.7 rather than using Render Streaming. It works on Android app on WIFI but it does not work when one of client is on cellular. I am using google stun server as below.
    {'iceServers': [{'urls': 'stun:stun.l.google.com:19302'}]}

Do I have to use a TURN server to make it done?

34. kannan-xiao4

kannan-xiao4

Unity Technologies

Probably yes, please try use a TURN server.

35. qngnht

qngnht

Can we have a sample how to join a room between 2 devices in Unity please ? I'm not expert on networking ... I tried WebRTC on Browser in another place before: Step 1. Type the name of Room ; Step 2. Click Join : Which device joined in this Room first will be the Host ( Local ) , other devices join after will be Clients (Remote) . I don't understand how Clients join in the Host in Webrtc Unity Sample... I'm trying com.unity.webrtc@2.4.0-exp.8

36. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Have you tried the multiplay sample?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.renderstreaming@3.1/manual/sample-multiplay.html

37. qngnht

qngnht

38. qngnht

qngnht

kazuki_unity729 likes this.
  39. oliverEllmers

oliverEllmers

Can we please have a very simple example demonstrating how to connect to a remote WebRTC stream to be able to access a video stream?

I am trying to figure out how I can stream WebRTC video over network into Unity to be applied as a video texture. It would be great if there was a simple example detailing how to connect to an external IP or URL to access a stream/track.

CloudyVR likes this.
  40. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

You mean we need to make the web server publicly to test connection over network?
    I would like to share the document to describe how to integrate it with third party services.

41. OctoSharko

OctoSharko

Did you get a feedback on this ?

I'm in the same need. The documentation is very poor and the samples only focus on same machine/network example.
    There is not signaling examples in them either.

42. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

We got same feedback from some developers.
    We want to take action for them, but it is not easy because network environments are different each developers. At first, we have a plan that make documents to describe a simple tutorial for deploying the server using cloud platform like AWS and GCP.

43. ronaldoUnited07

ronaldoUnited07

Did anyone succeeded in creating project with multiple video streaming or audio streaming or messaging application?

If yes, then please share sample project so I can have an idea about what should be implemented. I do know about Photon and Agora, and they seem to be very easy to implement so similar way I thought, sample projects from WebRTC and Renderer steaming will be easy, but I am not getting anything from there. Sample projects works, but I am not able to figure out about where to start taking reference to create my solution.

And If I build for android directly the sample scenes, will it work? or do I ned to do something else also (coding wise)

Help Needed.

44. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Have you checked the package sample? I would like to know what kind of samples you want.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.renderstreaming@3.1/manual/samples.html

45. ronaldoUnited07

ronaldoUnited07

46. ronaldoUnited07

ronaldoUnited07

I have followed the Unity render streaming's Broadcast example and it is working fine

Now I want to see he same thing in my Android device, which is in the same network, In android browser it works fine but I want that same feed inside an android app.

As you can see in photon networking and Agora framework, there is structure like "Lobby", "Room".
    So WebRTC works like that only or not.
    Should I enter ip that mentioned in "webserer.exe" inside android app?

How can I achieve this?
    I checked the document of tutorial, but I am not clear about how can I make full script, Should I create offer first or answer, and where should I write code that will connect to the ip that I give as an input?

47. kazuki_unity729

kazuki_unity729

Unity Technologies

Have you tried Receiver sample on Android device?
    I think you can achieve that with the combination of two samples Broadcast and Reveiver.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.renderstreaming@3.1/manual/sample-receiver.html