Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Using URP for old android devices with OpenGL ES2

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by honor0102, Mar 6, 2023.

1. honor0102

honor0102

hey
    we have a game that uses URP in a new update, it works well both in Unity editor and most android devices, so far so good
    but we just noticed that older devices that use OpenGL ES2 do not show the game properly and there are a lot of pink parts in the game(doesn't show at all, just pink parts)
    so I'm looking for a way to show the game well for those devices(just fixing pink rendering, post-processing effects are not a priority on those phones), is there any method to handle this situation?
    Thanks in advance

Update:
    I uploaded some images of the problem
    looks like URP is not compatible with ES2 , So we are looking for a method like fall backing or some method that results in correct rendering

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      676.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      990.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Which unity version? Which URP version?

3. honor0102

honor0102

currently we use Unity 2020.2.7 and URP 10.3.2 but its ok to use other versions if there is any version that gives us a solution

4. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Maybe there're some shaders that don't support GL ES 2.0 devices.

You can open the shader of pink objects and check the
    #pragma XX
    line to confirm.

If that's the reason, try replacing the unsupported shader with another that works well.

5. honor0102

honor0102

Thanks for answering and sorry I didn't explain it well at the begining so I just updated my Question, this problem is not limited to some Shader or Material, the whole game(including UI, Game World, etc) can't be rendered and just some pink parts will be shown(I uploaded some photos)

I think URP itself can't be used on these types of phones, maybe what that work is using some technique for rendering by a different pipeline for these old devices or some other ways like that

6. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

I just checked the Unity 2023.1 and found that OpenGL ES 2.0 was removed from the available backends list.
    Unity_Graphics_APIs.jpg

What Unity version are you using? I think you can try using an older version of URP for those devices.

honor0102 likes this.
  7. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Sorry that just saw this message.

Maybe you can try building a test project in Unity 2019 and see if it works on OpenGL ES 2.0.

honor0102 likes this.
  8. DevDunk

DevDunk

That's a very old 2020 version. Update to 2020.3 LTS (2020 still should have GLES2 support, 2021.3 doesnt) and if you encounter any issues make a bug report

wwWwwwW1 and honor0102 like this.