Search Unity

Using Unity with Sublime Text 2 (How to get everything set up)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JacobPennock, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Corlay

Corlay

Has anyone found a way to add UnityScript autocompletion yet?

2. fgielow

fgielow

Here it works pretty well, this post as a whole gives a nice set of instructions, links I gave before worked nice with some minor details taken into consideration.

3. petey

petey

Hey fgielow, what you've added is code highlighting, not auto completion. I think in order to set up autocompletion you have to make a sublime completion file -
    Sublime Auto Completion
    Completion Files

I had a quick try at making my own completion file but I haven't been able to get anything working yet. I'm gonna keep looking at it but i've never messed with this stuff before so i may not get that far :)

4. fgielow

fgielow

But I have auto completion working here perfectly, I just installed all the plugins regarding Unity3D on the package manager and CompleteSharp for autocompletion. Hence I configured CompleteSharp in my project settings as in:

Code (csharp):
    1. {
    2.     "folders":
    3.     [
    4.         {
    5.             "path": "/Users/fgielow/Developer/Unity3d/Unity-Experiments" // project root, sublime project would be better staying here too
    6.         }
    7.     ],
    10.     "settings":
    11.     {
    12.         "completesharp_assemblies": [
    13.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEngine.dll",
    14.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEditor.dll",
    15.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/UnityScript.dll",
    16.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.Core.dll",
    17.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.dll",
    18.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/nunit.framework.dll",
    19.         "/Users/fgielow/Developer/Unity3d/Unity-Experiments/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp.dll",
    20.         "/Users/fgielow/Developer/Unity3d/Unity-Experiments/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll",
    21.         "/Users/fgielow/Developer/Unity3d/Unity-Experiments/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-UnityScript-Editor.dll",
    22.         "/Users/fgielow/Developer/Unity3d/Unity-Experiments/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll"
    23.         ]
    24.     }
    26. }
    You do not have to go through all those steps mentioned on your links, CompleteSharp does a nice job scanning those dlls to check the methods available, it works flawlessly here! :)

Edit: You should change your paths, obviously. Such as the "/Users/fgielow/Developer/Unity3d/Unity-Experiments/" piece which is the project that sublime project configuration corresponds to.

Have you tried CompleteSharp for Unity3d C# completion?

5. Corlay

Corlay

Ok I tried that out, didnt work for me, does anybody know wheres my error?

Root folder for the Unity project:

C:/Users/michi/Documents/Unity/New Project 1/

New Project 1/project.sublime-project :

Code (csharp):
    1. {
    2.     "folders":
    3.     [
    4.         {
    5.             "path": "Assets"
    6.         }
    7.     ],
    9.     "settings":
    11.     {
    13.         "completesharp_assemblies": [
    15.         "C:/Program Files (x86)/Unity/Editor/DataManaged/UnityEngine.dll",
    17.         "C:/Program Files (x86)/Unity/Editor/Data/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEditor.dll",
    19.         "C:/Program Files (x86)/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/unity/UnityScript.dll",
    21.         "C:/Program Files (x86)/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.Core.dll",
    23.         "C:/Program Files (x86)/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.dll",
    25.         "C:/Program Files (x86)/Unity/Editor/Data/Managed/nunit.framework.dll",
    27.         "C:/Users/michi/Documents/Unity/New Project 1/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-UnityScript.dll"
    29.         ]
    31.     }
    32. }

6. rstorm000

rstorm000

Anyone figure out the situation with it starting to open blank documents after a while? For it fixes when you restart unity, but it is temporary.

7. fgielow

fgielow

In the beginning, even though my paths were set correctly, python was not scanning correctly the .dlls, I had to recompile completesharp,
    In Unix systems, at least, you could achieve so by going to the .../Packages/CompleteSharp folder and running

Code (csharp):
    1. $ python -m compileall .
    To check why auto completion does not work you can open the ST2 console and check for log messages there.
    If it says that those files you mentioned were not found (and you are sure about their path), you got same problem I did, which I resolved by recompiling the CompleteSharp python package.

8. fgielow

fgielow

I resolved this issue (or at least coincidentally have not experienced it in the last hours) by appending the following option on my sublime user settings:
    Code (csharp):
    1. "open_files_in_new_window": false

9. Corlay

Corlay

I dont get any errors at all, and recompiling the python scripts gives me a ton of syntax errors (i´m not familiar with python :/)

10. rstorm000

rstorm000

I have that set already fgielow with the open files in new window as false. It seems to do the blank document thing randomly now. It switches back and forth between blank and normal as I'm working with no noticeable pattern.

11. petey

petey

Hey dudes,

I haven't set up CompleteSharp before but i made this completion file that seems to work okay -
    Just go to preferences/browse packages and put this in a directory and see how you go.

(Option Click and Save file) --> Pete's Completions

12. Fahmim Rezuan

Fahmim Rezuan

Thanks everyone haha.. fun using this editor :D

13. petey

petey

I really hope they end up making Sublime Text 3 open on the line of the error. That would make it perfect!

14. fgielow

fgielow

I still have not tried ST3 afraid of many of the packages I use still not working correctly, I decided to wait a little more.
    Have you already tried ST3?

15. petey

petey

I had a quick look the other day and I didn't notice any changes in this regard, it is still an early beta though I guess.
    There's a bit of news about it here -
    Sublime Blog

16. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

I hope ST3 has a "find all symbol references" like VS. I might actually switch to it then, that's the main reason I still use VS.

17. fgielow

fgielow

I heard that they will have a quick go-to-definition function. Is that any way similar to what you want? Or you mean, like, trying to reach any method from any file easily? (sorry I really never used VS).

18. petey

petey

No we were talking about launching sublime at the line of the error from unity's console. Anyone who likes the idea should post a +1 or something on this page --> http://sublimetext.userecho.com/top...-on-osx-to-get-unity-3d-working-with-sublime/, maybe the devs might hear and add it for Sublime Text 3...

By the way, here's a cool tute series for anyone whos's interested in getting started with ST2.
    https://tutsplus.com/course/improve-workflow-in-sublime-text-2/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  19. Ghopper21

Ghopper21

It looks like go-to-definition is definitely part of Sublime Text 3, which is in private beta for registered Sublime Text 2 users.

See this first look blog which mentions go-to-definition: http://wesbos.com/sublime-text-3-first-look/

Can't wait for Sublime Text to get that much closer to being my main Unity code editor!!! While I've come to appreciate MonoDevelop (especially the much improved non-Unity version 3), I definitely miss Sublime Text...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Corlay

Corlay

Works pretty good from what Ive tested by now, but is there any way to change it so it shows the list even after youve typed in the dot, before writing something behind it ?

21. petey

petey

Hey Corlay, Glad it's working for you!
    Yeah I'm not sure about that. Might be something I could as on the sublime forums...

22. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Has anyone experienced issues with CompleteSharp where autocomplete freezes Sublime for about 5 seconds and then fails to pull up the right information? The only workaround I know of is to restart Sublime. But this issue crops up often enough that it's really throwing off my workflow.

I posted the issue on the CompleteSharp GitHub repository, but I don't have a consistent repro case to share with the plugin author.

Maybe someone here has some insight? :)

23. oferei

oferei

Hey guys.

Great thread. I too use ST2 and hope UT will support it. In the meantime...
    I use Boo so I can't use the CompleteSharp package. Instead I wrote my own ST2 package.

Please feel free to use it: Unity Completions
    It supports all 3 languages.
    There's no intellisense or anything, just simple completions. But it includes ALL classes, functions and variables.

I also sent an update to Package Control to include it but it'll probably take days if not weeks until it updates. Meanwhile install it manually.

24. thylaxene

thylaxene

Works great if SL isn't already running. If I have SL running then it won't open document and jump to line number. It just brings SL to the front. If SL isn't running it works perfectly.

Wonder if this is a difference between SL 2 and SL3 beta? As I'm using SL3 beta and changed the identifier in the code.

[EDIT] same action in SL2... shame so close. Will look into myself as well as this is a great lead and getting so close on OSX.

Out of curiosity how did you figure it out? Or was there an online source that pointed you in the right direction?

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  25. squidbot

squidbot

That's what I get for doing a quick hack! Of course, workspace launch only works if the app isn't launched. It's a relatively easy fix with slightly different code needed if the app is open, I'll post new code tomorrow.

I just looked at a page referenced earlier in the thread (here) mentioning the position data in the open documents apple event was being ignored by Sublime Text, so I just found some code that had the data format for the position. Not too bad really, just a few searches and the rest of the code is pretty straight forward Cocoa stuff.

26. fgielow

fgielow

I have been using ST3 beta Build 2022 now, and it jumps perfectly to the line error, doesn't it work automatically there too?

27. squidbot

squidbot

OK, try number 2. I couldn't figure out how to send the correct reopen event and get the line number, but I had an epiphany. The command line tool that comes with Sublime Text 2 does the job just fine for all use cases, why not just invoke that??? Here's the new code (nuked the old stuff). To this is even a dirtier hack, but it seems to work great. Please let me know if I missed any use cases.

Code (csharp):
    2. //
    3. //  AppDelegate.m
    4. //  Unity2Subl
    5. //
    6. //  0. Install the Sublime Text 2 command line utility subl (http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/osx_command_line.html)
    7. //  1. Open Xcode (Instructions based on Xcode 4.6.1)
    8. //  2. File->New->Project
    9. //  3. OS X->Application->Cocoa Application
    10. //  4. Give it a name and location, I called my Unity2Subl
    11. //  5. You need ARC checked, you can uncheck unit tests
    12. //  6. Replace the contents of AppDelegate.m with this code
    13. //  7. If you don't want a window to show up briefly
    14. //      7a. Click on MainMenu.xib
    15. //      7b. Click on the "Window - Unity2Subl" (5th down for me)
    16. //      7c. Click on "Attributes Inspector" in the inspector pane
    17. //      7d. Uncheck "Visible At Launch"
    18. //  8. Build the app
    19. //  9. Select the built app as your editor in Unity
    20. // 10. Now Unity will open Sublime Text 2 to the right position when you double click an error
    21. //
    22. // Note: This is hard coded for the subl command line, if you're renamed it or a new version comes out with a different name
    23. // you'll need to replace in code. This could be made fancier with some sort of selection
    24. // off apps but I wanted a quick and dirty soltion
    27. #import "AppDelegate.h"
    29. typedef struct
    30. {
    31.     int16_t unused1;      // 0 (not used)
    32.     int16_t lineNum;      // line to select (< 0 to specify range)
    33.     int32_t startRange;   // start of selection range (if line < 0)
    34.     int32_t endRange;     // end of selection range (if line < 0)
    35.     int32_t unused2;      // 0 (not used)
    36.     int32_t theDate;      // modification date/time
    37. }__attribute__((packed)) SelectionRange;
    39. NSString *const BUNDLE_ID = @"com.sublimetext.2";
    41. @implementation AppDelegate
    43. - (void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(NSNotification *)aNotification
    44. {
    45. }
    47. - (BOOL)application:(NSApplication *)sender openFile:(NSString* )filename
    48. {
    49.     NSAppleEventDescriptor *desc = [[[NSAppleEventManager sharedAppleEventManager] currentAppleEvent] paramDescriptorForKeyword:keyAEPosition];
    50.     NSUInteger line = 0;
    52.     if(desc != nil) {
    53.         //NSRange range;
    54.         NSData *data = [desc data];
    55.         NSUInteger len = [data length];
    57.         if(len == sizeof(SelectionRange)) {
    58.             SelectionRange *sr = (SelectionRange*)[data bytes];
    60.             if(sr->lineNum >= 0) {
    61.                 line = sr->lineNum + 1;
    62.                 filename = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@:%ld", filename, (unsigned long)line];
    63.             }
    64.         }
    65.     }
    67.     NSTask *task = [[NSTask alloc] init];
    68.     [task setLaunchPath:@"/usr/local/bin/subl"];
    70.     NSArray *arguments = [NSArray arrayWithObject:filename];
    71.     [task setArguments:arguments];
    73.     [task launch];
    75.     [NSApp terminate:nil];
    77.     return TRUE;
    78. }
    80. @end

28. thylaxene

thylaxene

Cool nailed it! Great hack.

For whatever reason the only way I got it working was creating the alias of "subl" in my /Users/your username/bin/ path. Make sure you create the bin folder before using the command line snippet as shown in the ST 2-3 docs.

BTW working perfectly with ST 3 beta when appropriate things are changed in the source code.

Again thanks for working this out.

Cheers.

29. petey

petey

fgielow It didn't work in ST2 but I think they must have got it working in 3. How are you finding it by the way?

30. fgielow

fgielow

I am really enjoying it. I had "no issues" with plugins incompatibilities (half-true: some plugins would not work, but little changes on their sources, mainly due to porting python2.6 code to python3.2 code, solved everything; major issue on completesharp which is now discontinued (not ST3 fault really, but w.e.), but I got an old version which was working already and stopped upgrading it through git), and there are some really great improvements.

The major things that caught my attention:
    - When they say "less than 1 second for the editor to load", they mean it
    - Jump to definition, of course, BUT they got a great addition to that, something like "go to last cursor positions", hence you can code, navigate through multiple files, and by typing "control" + "-" your cursor position keeps moving back to previous recorded positions, this greatly improves my workflow, at least. Hence, with "jump to definition" you can just jump to the function definition, then press "control"+"-" a couple of times and puf, you are back where you were previously. As a note, you can also move the cursor position forward.
    - Go to error on unity3d now works! They probably use that .... backbone (was this the name?) API

There probably are other things, which I do not recall now. All in all, I am satisfied with ST3.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  31. petey

petey

Awesome, I'm gonna check it out a bit more this weekend!

32. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Hey fgielow,

What version of CompleteSharp are you using with ST3? Do you ever run into situations where CompleteSharp freezes Sublime every time it tries to autocomplete, and then fails to find the correct completion?

33. fgielow

fgielow

I don't know really which version of completesharp I am using.. I noticed they changed some things on the main git repo and it is currently completely broken there, so I returned to a previous state I had which worked for me before. I may have also performed some changes on the source code, not sure.

Well, I used to experience some freezes indeed, now they don't happen anymore (or I had luck in the previous 2 weeks). Dunno if this behavior is due to luck, ST3 or if the version of completesharp I am using has any difference.

Anyway, here you find the sources on my Packages folder for CompleteSharp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu0r0nrkri2lxt9/CompleteSharp.zip, you can test it there. Just for the sake of being cautious, if you want to test it, after unpacking it on your Packages folder, do the following:

$ cd CompleteSharp
    $ python -m compileall .

34. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Oh wow! Thanks so much! I'll give that a go. Hopefully it clears up my freezing problems :)

35. fgielow

fgielow

Just realized that some of the changes I did were related to porting the code for python3, lol. If you are using ST2 (and hence python 2.x), you maaay have to change all the print function calls on the code.... Actually they are called with parenthesis as in 'print("blablabla")' before they were called without the parenthesis as in 'print "blablabla"'. I cant recall if python2 can understand prints with parenthesis.

I may have done some other changes regarding utf8 encodings there, not sure (probably not, but it is a possibility)... Hence, the prints changes may be enough to use it on python2, hopefully.

36. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Shouldn't be a problem! I'm running Sublime Text 3, so it's great that you ported the python code over :)

37. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Does someone know why Unity is opening multiple insntaces of Sublime Text 2? I'm using the version 4.2.1 free... Also, it stopped to jump to the error line...

38. petey

petey

Maybe try adding this to your user preferences to stop multiple windows opening.
    Code (csharp):
    1. "open_files_in_new_window": false,

39. TheFudster

TheFudster

I like to work with sublime in full screen mode, however your wrapper would just take me back to a blank desktop instead of switching to the fullscreen app. Just hiding the window wasn't enough. You really don't want to even know that this app is being launched so to make the whole thing transparent just run as a service by changing Info.plist.

You should add a step:
    Set "Application is Agent" to YES in info.plist

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  40. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

Hey guys, great thread! I managed to get a lot of stuff working. The only minor issue I'm experiencing is that I can't get autocomplete with my own classes. Here is my CompleteSharp sublime settings;

Code (csharp):
    1. {
    2.     "completesharp_assemblies":
    3.     [
    4.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEngine.dll",
    5.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEditor.dll",
    6.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/mscorlib.dll",
    7.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.Core.dll",
    8.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.dll",
    9.         "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/nunit.framework.dll",
    10.         "/Users/josephferano/Documents/Work/sst/Library/Assembly-CSharp.dll",
    11.         "/Users/josephferano/Documents/Work/sst/Library/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll"
    12.     ],
    14.     "completesharp_filterregex": "^(get_|set_|op_|add_|remove_|<)",
    16.     "completesharp_mono_path" : "/Applications/Unity/MonoDevelop.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/2.10.2/bin/mono",
    18.     "completioncommon_inhibit_sublime_completions": true,
    20.     "completioncommon_shorten_names": true
    21. }
    Am I missing anything?

If I type "System." I get code completion, no problem. However, if I type one of my own classes, in this case DataEncoder, I get the following;

Code (csharp):
    1. (-1, -1, u'DataEncoder', None, u'.')
    2. stderr: got: -findclass;;--;;DataEncoder
    3. stderr: execute args: -findclass
    4. stderr: execute args: DataEncoder
    5. stderr: Trying UnityEngine.DataEncoder
    6. stderr: Trying System.Collections.DataEncoder
    7. stderr: Trying System.IO.DataEncoder
    8. stderr: Trying System.Collections.Generic.DataEncoder
    9. stderr: Trying System.DataEncoder
    10. stderr: Trying DataEncoder
    11. absolute is DataIO (118.772984 ms)
    12. stderr: got: -returntype;;--;;DataIO;;--;;DataEncoder
    13. stderr: execute args: -returntype
    14. stderr: execute args: DataIO
    15. stderr: execute args: DataEncoder
    16. DataIO.DataEncoder =
    Any help would be appreciate. Thanks guys! Man I love this editor!

41. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

Nevermind, I got it to work, I had the paths set up wrong.

42. Paul-Schulze

Paul-Schulze

Just thought I'd let you guys know about this one: https://github.com/ranthor/sublime-advanced-builder

I originally wrote it for myself to get multiple build phases with uniform output, jump to line support and StyleCop for multi-solution project inside Sublime Text 2 on Mac (sorry, no ST3, still got some issues there). It is also able to scan solutions for referenced projects and DLLs and add them to the CompleteSharp assemblies list.

Maybe someone else is brave enough to try it and get some use out of it. If you want to use it, look at the ReadMe for example build phases or use the included 'advb_' snippets. Remember to remove comments from your projects file though, because the package uses the JSON parser in Python and it does not handle comments well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  43. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Wow this plugin is awesome since I love Sublime! Good job.

44. Paul-Schulze

Paul-Schulze

Well, wait til you set it up, initial configuration is a bit of a bitch.

45. Will Chen

Will Chen

Hey fgielow,I have some problem to set the sublime, for I can't see the video in YouTube .
    now I have git clone the CompleteSharp project into my sublime package and set the setting files as follows:
    when I write some code to test the auto completion in my project DreamCar,I write code as follows:
    The result in console is as follows:

how can I change the absolute?PS: I opened the DreamCar project in sublime just FILE->OPEN->DreamCar(folder).

And I also tried to compile the CompleteSharp use python -m compileall,
    but the result is as follows:
    Can you help me? Thank you ! ^_^

46. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

@Will Chen

It seems you're missing mscorlib.dll, add that one too. Here's my assemblies;

Code (csharp):
    1. "completesharp_assemblies":
    2. [
    3.     "/Applications/Unity 3/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEngine.dll",
    4.     "/Applications/Unity 3/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/UnityEditor.dll",
    5.     "/Applications/Unity 3/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/mscorlib.dll",
    6.     "/Applications/Unity 3/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.Core.dll",
    7.     "/Applications/Unity 3/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/unity/System.dll",
    8.     "/Applications/Unity 3/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Managed/nunit.framework.dll",
    9.     "/Users/josephferano/Documents/Work/sst/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp.dll",
    10.     "/Users/josephferano/Documents/Work/sst/Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll"
    11. ],

47. Will Chen

Will Chen

@Joseph Ferano

Thank you for your answer.I have tried this,but the problem still exists. :(
    Do you know how can I add Code in this Editor?I find the quote button,but I can't find the code button.3Q~!
    It's my fist time to post question in unity community.^ ^

now my setting files is as follows:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  48. aikitect

aikitect

I've read through this thread as well as some of the tutorials, and I'm having trouble understanding which steps I need to take for Unity 4.1 + ST3. Can someone help me understand the step-by-step process? Do I start by installing the Unity Build Package on ST3? What do I do after that? Thanks.

49. bitomule

bitomule

Yes please. Can anyone collect the info on this thread? I'll be really happy to use Sublime Text with Unity but don't know how.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  50. Demigiant

Demigiant

For a beginning, this blog might help. Though this thread contains more information