Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Unity with SteamVR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by jashan, Apr 13, 2015.

1. jashan

jashan

I'll get into "real" SteamVR development as soon as I can get my hands on the DevKit - but meanwhile, I'd like to get my content prepared so I'll have to integrate SteamVR with Unity.

So ... is there something like a SteamVR SDK for Unity?

I've checked Steamworks.NET which is built on Steamworks SDK 1.32 (which does already include steamvr.h) and provides a thin layer to offer access to the Steamworks APIs inside Unity. But I didn't see SteamVR mentioned anywhere in Steamworks.NET (this might not be too hard to add, though).

I do have a DK2 (and a DK1) and those are supported already by SteamVR (so I can do some testing) - but I don't see Oculus going anywhere, so the sooner I can try this on the actual target hardware, the better ;-)

So ... what would you recommend to get started developing for SteamVR when using Unity?

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. aleiby

aleiby

4. jashan

jashan

Pretty awesome! It's a little unfortunate it's not available for Mac OS, yet, but at least it should work with Bootcamp.

5. pojoih

pojoih

VERY good integration: Direct2Rift from the Editor and an automatic fallback to normal 2D cams are the two things a dev wants when making a VR game!
    Took me half an hour to get it up and running. And we're talking about three layered camera rigs here.

6. lmbarns

lmbarns

Got to test drive the vive yesterday at Valve. I can confidently say VR for the rest of this year and next will be dominated by Vives.

Oculus really dropped the ball when not coming up with motion controllers as part of it's package, and I remember it being a big complaint in dk1 days. I have hydras and they're nothing like what Vive is using.

7. jashan

jashan