Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Unity to create pseudo-3D graphics?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by treedoor, Jan 10, 2016.

1. treedoor

treedoor

I saw there was a sticky thread called "Can I make an FPS, RPG, MMO [Insert game] with Unity?" though after scanning through the list I couldn't find what I was looking for.

When I say pseudo-3D I'm talking about the old 2D racing games from the 80s and early 90s such as Road Rash, Mario Kart, Outrun (which all have their own little intricacies that differ from each other).

I do know some people have shown off works in progress of pseudo-3D games they made in Unity, but I'm wondering what it takes to reach that point? There are almost no tutorials I can find on how to make this graphical style other than a written document that uses pseudo code here http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/ . I personally don't have enough coding experience to put it together myself even if I understand it.

I'd really like to get into game development with the ultimate goal of reaching a point of being able to create a game using that style. I've been dabbling with Unity for a bit now, and it seems pretty nifty though I'm not sure if it has built-in functionality fit for this graphical style, so my question is that if I want to create something like Outrun in Unity will it just require learning Unity and C#? Or is it a lot more complex than that?

2. AndreCabral

AndreCabral

As far as I know, there is no built in pseudo 3D in Unity.

Without creating complex code to make a pseudo-3D system, what I know you can do is create a 3D scenario, and use 2D sprites for the characters, trees, clouds, etc, and make them always face the camera.
    That way, the game will be something like doom or duke 3D (3D floors and walls, and 2d characters and items).

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's exactly right. Yes, you can do it in Unity, and yes, it just requires learning Unity and C#. As a complete beginner, the thing to do is to forget about this specific goal for a while, and spend 6-12 months doing every Unity and C# tutorial you can get your hands on. Note that "doing" a tutorial means actually doing it, not just watching it; and if you really want to learn, then after you finish following along with the video, throw your project away, close the video, and try to do it again without it.

Don't worry about whether the tutorials appear to have anything to do with your dream project. If you're learning Unity and C#, then you're learning what you need to do your dream project one day!

4. treedoor

treedoor

Oh yeah, it's definitely an idea on the backburner, and I keep that in mind as best I can.
    It's just one of those issues where I didn't want to spend years to become proficient with Unity and C# only to find that actually creating this effect requires something beyond my realm of understanding.

I have also thought about the whole making a 3D game, but placing 2D assets throughout. That's my plan B.It's a consistency issue for the specific project I have in mind.

5. Farelle

Farelle

in general "everything is possible" and "you can learn everything" it just requires more or less effort, something thats beyond your realm of understanding does not have to stay that way :)

oh i found this while googling :D

http://codeincomplete.com/posts/2012/6/22/javascript_racer/

not unity, but javascript, which unity uses also, should be possible to use that since it's not just pseudo code

6. Martin_H

Martin_H

a) imho you should learn C# instead of javascript.

b) the author said:

Just do what @JoeStrout says, it is excellent advice!

7. Farelle

Farelle

I linked it not as an example for a good tutorial, but because it's showing the technique being used for creating this pseudo 3D scrolling background :) and that it's likely possible with unity, if he is using javascript, which is usable with unity also. So after he learned C#, unity etc. and went through all that process, he does not need to wonder anymore if it's possible, but rather how he can use his new aquired skills to realize it :) He mentioned that he wanted to know if he wastes his time trying to do it, if he doesnt even know if it's possible with unity.

8. 825546651