Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Unity Free Assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boris_VTR, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR

If in my game (mobile phone) I use some Unity Free assets prefabs (like explosions, asteroid, etc), do I have to specify that somewhere? Am I even allowed to use them? I am not sure where in the game to put credist for other people artwork or fonts. Any info or link would be very helpful.
    Sorry if this have been anwsered before.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Depends on what the author of each asset wants.

3. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

For the vast majority of free assets, you do not have to do anything ( if you downloaded from Unity Store). The author would have to include something within the download, and probably mentioned on the product page if you must give them credit. I am not sure I ever saw a free asset that required credit on the asset store.

If you are using 3rd party websites to download free stuff, then you have to pay much more attention to giving credit as many sites allow different rules. But for the Unity asset store, the default is always ´no credit needed´.

Boris_VTR likes this.
  4. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR

Thank you very much for kind and informative replay :)

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Some assets say that credit would be nice. So be nice :)

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Anything that does not specify extra license is under unity standard license. That one doesn't require attribution, IIRC.

If there's additional license specified, it applies. Exceptions I encountered were Unity-chan model, plus there were some project with one-license-per-seat rules, and, IIRC, Blacksmith assets can't be used in non-unity engine. There might be more of those exceptions.

7. thechubbymonkey

thechubbymonkey

It would be nice to give credit to some of the authors. I don't know if you have to though.

8. jpthek9

jpthek9

I can't find anything about giving credit in the official terms of service for assets (https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms) but I have seen custom licenses included with the asset. In these cases, unless you get that prompt for agreeing to the additional limitations, I don't think they apply since you can't even access the license before downloading the project.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Socrates likes this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The EULA is pretty clear. No accreditation is needed, unless there is an additional lisence included for open source components.

10. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR

Thank you all for replays.
    One question....if author does want to have credit, where do you usually put credit text? Do you create seperate view with text or something else?