Search Unity

Using Unity for a Game Audio course

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by clockwirk, Jun 10, 2008.

1. clockwirk

clockwirk

Hey everyone.
    I'm new to these forums and had a question about the suitability of Unity in a Game Audio class. I work as a teacher at a music college and have been asked to develop a class on creating music and audio for video games.

I would like to incorporate a real functioning game system in which to try out the sounds that the class records, edits, and mixes. I'm also trying to avoid having to do a lot of computer programming at the same time. I know Unity would work fine for the audio part, but I'm concerned about the amount of programming that I would need to learn in order to put together what I want.

Are there some basic game templates that I can grab and use to throw in my own sounds and music? Can I download a Unity game designed by someone else and use it to teach the class?

I know Unity is a very user friendly program, but even this level of complexity seems a little daunting to get familiar with while I'm designing the musical side of things as well.

Thoughts? Is there another program that would work better for what I need?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

2. podperson

podperson

No reason why you couldn't use some of the sample docs (e.g. the FPS tutorial and the platform tutorial -- both of which are fully playable) as templates to toss audio into.

3. Jessy

Jessy

I don't know of a better engine to use, for modern game creation, as long as all the students have Macintoshes available to them. Is this the case?

4. _alia_

_alia_

If its specific to game audio then I would also suggest looking at FMOD and FMOD Designer, AFAIK Unity uses OpenAL. Both are used pretty extensively throughout the game industry. Although from all the audio guys I know its FMOD that is easier, more powerful and more flexible for non-programmer types.

just my $0.02

:)

5. semaphorian

semaphorian

welcome to forum