Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Using Unity 2019 LTS + Accelerator and switching platforms still takes more than an hour...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BrainSlugs83, Sep 24, 2020.

1. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Hi,

I'm using Unity 2019.4.9 (LTS) and 2019.4.10 (LTS) and switching between project targets takes an hour or more in my game. (e.g. switching between Windows and Android -- or even just changing Android from GLES 2 to GLES 3).

I installed Unity Accelerator (and configured it, and verified that it is working) -- but it's not speeding anything up. -- It still takes more than an hour to switch.

I believe this is a bug, and it affects a lot of folks. -- Switching between various platforms to make a small tweak to your app can cost you an entire day right now. -- Please fix this.

(Wishlist: honestly, it shouldn't even need a cache server, just make a separate folder for each platform that I've converted to, and store the converted versions of the assets there the first time -- don't sit there and redo the conversion / recopy files every single time I switchI! -- Disk space is cheap, but Time is money!)

2. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

FYI, the reason why I tagged this as a bug is that this behavior is the opposite of how internal Unity folks are saying it should work -- including a PM from EMEA region and a technical evangelist from EMEA. -- Here: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/09/11/speed-up-your-team-with-the-unity-accelerator/#comment-417972

I'm tempted to switch to pipeline v1 to see if it works any better, per Ciro's comment. ☹

The WORST part about all of this is that some settings also trigger a reimport (e.g. switching from Linear to Gamma or GLES2 to GLES3) -- and for some platforms I have to change more than one of those settings -- which means, it has to reimport *EVERYTHING* *MULTIPLE* times when I switch between certain platforms.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  3. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Also indicative of a bug.

upload_2020-9-23_18-57-41.png

Meanwhile Unity prefs say everything is fine -- but it's clearly not actually using it (and yes, I've switched to all of my targeted platforms a few times now):
    upload_2020-9-23_18-54-28.png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  4. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Another feature request (unless it's also a bug): Why the heck does changing the color space (Gamma to Linear, etc.) or the rendering mode (GLES2 to GLES3) cause the AUDIO files to be reimported. -- Like there's no possible way that color space could (legitimately) impact the audio files, right? -- So, maybe don't reimport them when that setting changes...

unityunity