Search Unity

Question Using two rigidbodies in conjunction

Discussion in 'Physics' started by victornor, Nov 23, 2022.

1. victornor

victornor

I'm developing a boat game, where I currently have a rigidbody allowing me to make realistic floating physics.
    I'm using forces applied to this same rigidbody for moving the boat, but the floating physics affect the movement of my boat.

I would like to use floating physics only for visuals and use another rigidbody for the movement of the boat.
    Ideally I would have RB1 only affect y position + xz rotation and have RB2 only affect xz position and y rotation.

I am aware that this is probably not possible, but maybe I could somehow simulate RB1 and copy y pos + xz rotation from the simulated rigidbody to the movement rigidbody?

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this?
    Thanks

2. leebissessar5

leebissessar5

Hi victornor, can you show how you implemented the buoyant forces in your code? I implemented an autonomous underwater vehicle in unity with added mass forces, drag, buoyant forces, etc., and it works just fine. I didn't implement seakeeping/surface behavior, but I still think I could provide some input. I do not recommend manipulating the positions and rotations of the rigid body as it erases the information about the other forces applied to it.

Start with showing code, and I believe others will chime in to help as well.