Search Unity

Question Using Terrain tools on a Blender made map

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Rubben44, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Rubben44

Rubben44

Hi! I am new here and I hope I asked this question where is supposed.

I am pretty new to Unity when it comes to 3D shapes , objects , maps , etc. So I have a friend that works in blender so I asked him if he could make me a map. Now I have the map with all the mountains and rivers but now I don't know how to add grass, trees, rocks and other objects.

I've seen a lot of people using the terrain tools but I don't have them with the blender map and now I don't know what to do...
    Sure, let's say that I can add some trees and rocks manually but what about grass or some kind of path / road.
    I am not sure what to do, if someone would like to help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for taking a look here,
    Have a great day!

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Unity Terrain is a complete system unto itself.

If you made a mesh in Blender, it has nothing to do with Terrains.

You could write scripts to transfer the information from your hand-made mesh land to a Unity Terrain so you can do more Terrain-y things in Unity: heightmap, painting, etc.

You could also just put 3D object trees and rocks and paths on the Blender mesh you made.

Or simply redo the work in Unity's Terrain editing facility.

3. mattb-unity

mattb-unity

Unity Technologies

Grass, trees, rocks etc in Unity work with our heightmap system. So if you want to use what you have in Blender, you would have to figure out how to export it from Blender as a heightmap (maybe this would work? https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/105283/create-height-bitmap-from-mesh) and then import it into Unity. Our Terrain has "import raw" option which is what you would need to use. upload_2023-2-24_12-11-14.png

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You might also find my terrain-match-to-collider system handy:

You would import your Blender mesh, add a collider, then use the above software to drive the entire terrain to match the height, then remove the 3D object once it height had been "impressed" on the TerrainData.

You would need to deal with splatmaps / terrain surface details separately.

mattb-unity likes this.
  5. mattb-unity

mattb-unity

Unity Technologies

hey that's pretty cool!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  6. Rubben44

Rubben44

Thanks a lot! That terrain-match-to-collider made my day

mattb-unity and Kurt-Dekker like this.