Search Unity

using streaming audio in Unity D3? Web + runtimes?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by grobm, Oct 25, 2007.

1. grobm

grobm

I have a few sponsors .pl files I want to integrate into the game I am working on. Can I stream this audio into the game or does it need to be Ogg format?

-Mark
    www.vrshell.com

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You need to convert them to ogg. Once they are in ogg you can upload them to a website and stream them in. The easiest way to convert to ogg is to drop a audio file into unity, let unity compress it to ogg using the import settings and then use Assets -> Export To Ogg to get it out as a streamable ogg file.

3. shaun

shaun

Is the streaming of Ogg Video and Audio still possible for those of us who deploy standalones? (PC Mac)

Cheers
    Shaun

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

of course. The WWW class works everywhere. So you can stream audio and textures in standalone just as well as in the web player.

5. grobm

grobm

So it needs to be an Ogg audio stream format? I can not link a stream with WWW for a Itunes radio channel?

Sorry if I am beating this to death, but I was hoping I could link this into the runtime and not just the web version.

-Mark

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you want to access other media formats and they are running in the web plugin, then it's best to use eg. the quicktime plugin to play back the music and communicate with the quicktime plugin using the External call API. Both Unity and Quicktime support this kind of API so you can easily tell quicktime which file to play, pause etc. from inside unity.