Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Using Solidworks as a main asset creation tool

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by placafromhell, Sep 15, 2021.

1. placafromhell

placafromhell

Hi. At first I want to apologize if this place happens to be the wrong one to ask. I just started a Unity class and before starting my first project I want to be able to properly create my own assets. The point is, as a CADist and absolutely not an artistical 3D designer (and also a Unity 3D noob), I have a set of questions I'd like to be answered as after an internet search no clear response was found:
    A)Are environment models exactly the same as object models?
    B)If not, what's the difference?
    C)If so, can I use, for example, Solidworks to make my environments like if I'm doing an architectural house render?
    Obviously I'm not pretending much organic shapes, but the game I want to do is a pretty simple very early 3D era Doom-like thing with a bit more fancy 3D.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

I assume so, but I don't know exactly what you mean by "environment models" and "object models."

I don't know anything about Solidworks, but if it can export to a file that is compatible with Unity, then yes. Something like obj or fbx. If you already have the software, then you can just test this yourself. One thing to note- since Solidworks is not designed for game graphics, it will probably output models that are not "optimized" enough for real-time graphics. This may or may not be a problem, though.

3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Could you go into more detail what this means?

4. placafromhell

placafromhell

Sorry if I explained myself so bad. What I want to do is use my CAD files (for example, a house plane) as a map. I've seen people importing models from Solidworks like a shovel or so using Blender, but not whole maps

5. burningmime

burningmime

Yuip; that will work fine! Depending on the type of scene/camera, it might be better for performance to split it up into multiple meshes instead of leave it as a big one, but there can also be some advantages to keeping it as a big mesh.

placafromhell likes this.
  6. placafromhell

placafromhell

Thanks a lot, as quick as I have something working I'll show the results. :D

BrandyStarbrite likes this.