Search Unity

using ScriptableRenderPass to draw with per-object properties ?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by noio, Oct 21, 2019.

1. noio

noio

I like that ScriptableRenderPass allow you to add effects to objects without having to modify their base shader.

Now I am looking for a way to make objects render an overlay, but in a different color for each object.

Inspired by the "Occluded Object Dither" from

Replicating the effect in the image below: I'd like to highlight each mesh in different color (in this case just different transparency/alpha for the light green dithered overlay on top of the plants)

I used to just build a CommandBuffer where I set
    Material.color
    before rendering each mesh, but
    Camera.AddCommandBuffer
    is deprecated in URP.

Is there a way to achieve something similar using the ScriptableRenderFeature / ScriptableRenderPass workflow in URP? A modified version of "RenderObjects" feature doesn't allow you to get a property from each rendered object, does it? The call to

context.DrawRenderers
    uses
    CullingResults
    , which doesn't really allow you to get into specific properties of those renderers.

I was writing my own ScriptableRenderPass but I'm getting stuck trying to find an elegant way of making the connection between the rendering and some 'custom' properties on the rendered items..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. noio

noio

@phil_lira , @Andre_Mcgrail Sorry to poke you directly, but I figured you must have some hunch about a decent approach for this.

3. noio

noio

I'll copy Felipe's reply from Twitter here, in case someone ends up in this thread with a similar question.

4. noio

noio

Regarding the solution mentioned above:

That would mean modifying the base shader of the objects. But I thought one of the goals of the ScriptableRenderFeatures was that you can add effects (outlines, highlights) on top of the scene without having to modify the base shader? What if my base shader is the standard URP Lit shader, how do I then add such an overlay?

Still hoping that @phil_lira or @Andre_Mcgrail might chime in again because this seems like a pretty common use case for the URP.

5. Solovykh

Solovykh

Hit the same wall as you. You could write a custom ScriptableRenderFeature with a custom ScriptableRenderPass where you have access to the ScriptableRenderPass's execute method. In that execute method you could use the CommandBuffer.DrawRenderer to draw specific renderers with specific materials. However, CommandBuffer.DrawRenderer doesn't have the ability to set the per-draw lighting data. So it would work as long as your material doesn't care about lighting.

6. MaT227

MaT227

@noio
    I agree, did you find a way to achieve the desired result ?

7. noio

noio

Nope. Not yet.

daneobyrd and TobySch like this.
  8. noio

noio

Just ended up using a custom shader with a MaterialPropertyBlock to set the glow amount.

Then I took out the MaterialPropertyBlock (because it breaks the URP Batcher).. Now I just have 10 different (cached) materials with different glow amounts.. and I switch to the appropriate material.