Search Unity

Using Rider with zsh doesn't work when Unity opens Rider

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MostHated, Aug 10, 2019.

1. MostHated

MostHated

I am running into an issue where when Unity opens Rider which has terminal set within IDE to /usr/bin/zsh), it won't use zsh for some reason, and of course all of my applications and env variables are setup using scripts and such via zsh.

If I open Rider on it's own zsh is picked up and works just fine. It has all my env variables, installed applications and proper $PATH, but with Unity I just keep getting:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Cannot open Local Terminal
    2. Failed to start [/usr/bin/zsh, -i] in /home/mosthated/path/to/project
    For Rider to work in general with zsh I had to go into /home/mosthated/.local/share/JetBrains/Toolbox/apps/Rider/ch-0/192.5895.1069/plugins/terminal/.zshrc and change the last function to the following for it to work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. function override_jb_variables {
    2.   for VARIABLE in $(env)
    3.   do
    4.     NAME=${VARIABLE%%=*}
    5.     if [[ $NAME = '_INTELLIJ_FORCE_SET_'* ]]
    6.     then
    7.       NEW_NAME=${NAME:20}
    8.       if [ -n "$NEW_NAME" ] && [ "$NEW_NAME" != "PATH" ]
    9.       then
    10.         VALUE=${VARIABLE#*=}
    11.         export "$NEW_NAME"="$VALUE"
    12.       fi
    13.     fi
    14.   done
    15. }
    Does Unity have it's own settings/config somewhere that is overwriting what may be in the above path that I need to change somewhere for it to work? Unity/Rider is even thinking Git isn't installed when it opens, so it is going to end up being quite inconvenient.

Thanks,
    -MH

2. MostHated

MostHated

Looks like I have it worked out. I had to initially start Unity hub as sudo and then it finally ended up working.

**EDIT**

For some reason, only after logging out and back in starting Unity Hub as sudo began opening Unity itself as well as Rider as as root, which gave a warning message, then also tried to load a new Rider profile for the root user.

So it looks like the actual solution is simply starting the Unity Hub application from the terminal.
    I created a zsh alias for this :

Code (CSharp):
    1. alias unity='/home/mosthated/_dev/applications/UnityHubSetup.AppImage'

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019