Search Unity

Question Using Reflection Probe To Fake Transparency?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Pezito7, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Pezito7

Pezito7

Hi, I'm currently trying to use a simple reflection probe in order to simulate transparency (with a bit of refraction if possible, but that's optional).

My inspiration is the infamous fake liquid shader found in "Half-Life:Alyx" – there are tons of custom shaders around to do it, but transparency is mostly left out or buggy. I don't want nested models and detached inner parts and flipped normals etc... I'm aiming for faked transparency on a simple object, in order to avoid Z-sorting bugs.

So, I attached a reflection probe to my test object (I know it would be better if it was attached to the camera but for now, it will do). However, I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding view position, normal direction, vector transform, tangents etc; none of the things I tested looked right. I have attached an image to explain what I'm trying to do.

How can I rotate/transform the refprobe so that it looks as if I was looking through my objects, instead of seeing what's behind me mirrored in it??

Attached Files: