Search Unity

Using realtime GI for turning lights on and off.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by wojwen, Feb 14, 2018.

1. wojwen

wojwen

I'm prototyping a VR stealth game which is based on lights and shadows(like the original Thief). Many of the lights are stationary but need to be turned on and off. Can this be handled by precomputed realtime GI? It needs to be quite quick, otherwise it wont work. I tested it myself, but I don't have much experience with lighting in Unity and I can't tell if it's using precomputed realtime GI or regular realtime lights.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. YouDesign

YouDesign

Yes, you can. But quality of precomputed GI not good and you must optimize most of objects manualy for best result.

3. Stardog

Stardog

You can tell if GI is working by selecting a light and changing the Indirect Multiplier.

The problem will be detecting if you are in the light. I don't think there will be an easy way to figure that out. I know you can do it with basic lightmaps, but not so sure about GI. I'm not sure light probes have a good enough API to give you that data.

You can do Thief with basic direct lights too, like Thief 3.

4. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Realtime GI for VR is overkill, if the scene is subtle, either use baked indirect mixed mode (where indirect is baked only and direct is still realtime so you can sort of get away with the indirect part), or just use realtime direct lights without indirect. Certainly, it depends on your setup but especially in VR, it's hard to get a good performance with realtime lightmaps.

Thanks

5. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Well, this rather flies in the face of today's CAD import announcement, doesn't it?

My guess is that quite a significant amount of enterprise users will use this feature to runtime import models into a VR environment, and I don't know of any 3D models more complex than CAD models and runtime importing means no baking.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Sure you can.. think about it this way.. in 2-3 years the "low end" gpu will probably nearly as good as today's Titan.

Optimize the charts with as many solid components as possible.

I have a question and no one will seem to answer me.

I need to access UV chart controls via C# script. I need to disable "Optimize UV Charts" which causes artifacts and is enabled by default when a mesh is imported. Some of my models have 20-100 components and on most things curved i need to disable the UV optimization because it causes dark spots and it is really really REALLY annoying that it is enabled by default and i cant find any documentation anywhere on how to access uv chart control on the mesh renderer..

I really needed to make an extension that will allow me to modify the uv chart controls via script across an entire model.

Thanks.