Search Unity

using Raknet to create a patcher

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by agentleo, Apr 7, 2013.

1. agentleo

agentleo

I was curious if anyone has any experience with this , and issues they may have had. Also I would consider other solutions , besides M2H as it not a suitable option.

2. fholm

fholm

Patch data should be transferred using TCP. RakNet is UDP.

3. agentleo

agentleo

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. DryTear

DryTear

make a separate application that runs in background while its hidden. And let the app stream data and download it to the game directory and replacing files. And yes fholm is right TCP would be a better way, but mine is just a concept :]

5. JamesPro

JamesPro

If you download the source code for Raknet it actually comes with a Patcher. I'm not sure how it would work with Unity3D but I've used successfully with C++ projects I've done.

6. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Hi fholm First of all the requirement for sending files is being reliable so either reliable UDP or TCP. The thing that agentleo is talking about is the patcher system in the RakNet itself and not it's unity's implementation. RakNet has this capability as a module in itself. @agentleo I have no experience with it but they have a SWAG wrapper for C# and unity so there should not be a problem in your standalone players to use it. Of course for web player it's not possible to use RakNet (none integrated version) in unity at all and who needs a patcher on web player?

7. agentleo

agentleo

Thanks for replies, I think I may go ahead and try it out because I could always use Raknet for my C++ projects if I run into issues.

8. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Oh and please keep in mind that there are other patching systems for unity games on asset store and internet as well. You might want to take a look at them as well. I never used any of them however. Actually anything that we worked on was either web player or mobile, unfortunately never worked on something standalone.

9. agentleo

agentleo

Good point , but only product in asset store I have found is m2h patcher , and while the dev is great guy, he has been busy with projects last few months and with the issues of loading updates greater 200MB price tag of $125 does not commute . Plus I could use the practice of using Raknet , and indy agreement is not bad. Even if I think the part of Jenkins being able to demand a rep review my accounting records on site a bit absurd if I broke 100k someone how I would just pay for the license.