Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Using PSD files with transparency and avoid edge artifacts (matter)?

Discussion in '2D' started by Laulund, May 17, 2020.

1. Laulund

Laulund

With the "at some point" removal of the "Remove Matter (PSD)" feature, I am trying to find another way to use PSD files with transparency in projects.
    • Regular PSD with transparency now gets tiny white edge around them.
    • PSD with user made alpha channel and white background also has the tiny white edge.
    • PSD with user made alpha channel and black background have a tiny dark edge.
    • PNG looks fine, like always, but I will prefer using the photoshop source files.
    • PSB using the new 2D PSD importer, looks fine just like the PNG, no edge artifacts!

See all here: http://www.pixieandpax.com/overview.jpg

1) So it's either using PNG files in a Sprite Atlas, or Using the PSB files with the 2D PSD importer and the Mosaic option on, Or did I miss a better practice?

2) Will the 2D PSD importer, continue importing without creating edge artifacts or will it also be changed to how PSD files now are imported by default?

3) In the editor inspector the PSB file are listed three times bigger than PSD and PNG files of the same pixel size, is it just editor overhead or will it also affect the memory and disk use in a build application?

4) Images from the PSB file Mosaic can also be placed in a Sprite Atlas, will they perform the same way as PSD and PNG files?