Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Project Tiny with no experience in game development

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by eggroll44, Mar 26, 2020.

1. eggroll44

eggroll44

What: I am a software development student in my last semester at a two year trade school. I want to create a website that hosts a 2D browser game. The game should be playable on most browsers, be it mobile or desktop.This is for my capstone project, which is a class this term where we make a project that displays what we've learned (and challenge ourselves to learn new things).

How:
    • Digital Ocean to host VPS
    • Undetermined domain name & provider
    • Deploy WordPress to VPS. This way website scales to platform automatically (mobile and desktop layout works out of the box).
    • Develop game via Unity's Project Tiny. Maybe use OpenGl if project tiny won't work on WordPress. Use this plugin: https://gamedevbill.com/how-to-post-unity-games-to-wordpress/
    • If possible integrate Firebase into project tiny game.
    End Result: Personal website that displays my own content and has a playable 2D web game. The website should scale to desktop, mobile, and tablets. The game should be playable on popular web browsers for both desktop and mobile. Visitors should be able to create and sign into an account to save their in game progress/display statistics.

With these goals in mind, what are some resources that I can lean on to teach myself? I have Unity running on Pop!Os 19.10, and I downloaded and opened the tiny project example (I checked out tiny racing). I've never made a game before, but I have passed data structures and algorithms, made native mobile apps(android & IOS), created web pages from scratch, set up and managed MySQL databases, deployed a LAMP stack, created plugins for CMS (WordPress), and successfully completed Cisco networking. I could really use some guidance, as it seems project tiny meets my goal ideas, but it's too new and has a lot of growing pains (not as easy to find tutorials, different versions make/break important features, etc).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020