Search Unity

using planes for animated textures

Discussion in 'Animation' started by shogunstudios, Mar 9, 2017.

1. shogunstudios

shogunstudios

So in the above linked video, what I can see is that the animators are using a plans to show different shapes of the mouth. same thing could be accomplished with texture swaps for certain frames. What I notice is allot of jrpg games use this technique rather than render a full mouth for a number of reasons. keeps the cartoony apeal, probably lower cpu usage, and probably easier to implement.

I do not know the name of this technique they are using. But would like to see how it could be done here in unity.

I can see this being easy(but time consuming) in blender but how would one get this into unity?

2. eses

eses

@shogunstudios

Hi there,

"I do not know the name of this technique they are using"

I think it's pretty much what you said; "show different shapes of the mouth"...

there isn't too much to that, except you have to either change one image to another, or simply have a page of square areas that have eye/mouth/nose/whatever shapes and swap them by moving / offsetting UV rect.

But if you are going to have lots of animation like lipsync, better start looking for some way to first animate your sequences in 3d software, and then export some data from there.

I'd imagine it would be pretty good approach to use points / null to drive texture UV animation or image swapping using whatever scripting language is available, then export the data to unity and use it to drive animation in unity.... so no need to do any data conversion.

NOTE;

about video, at 1:18 I think I see parallax in mouth, so in this case it's just (or might be, didn't double check + analyze in slowdown) a pretty advanced 3d model + good cell shading + ink shader - not a 2D mouth... but stepped keyframe shape animation.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
unityunity