Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Particle Effects with Line Render to draw a burning line?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wtfkeklol, Feb 9, 2016.

1. wtfkeklol

wtfkeklol

Hello there!

I'm building a mobile game where the main thing is that you draw lines with your fingers like you did in "LineRider" back in the day.

I'm currently drawing simple, one colour lines with the LineRenderer component, but I was thinking about adding some "special" lines that you can use, like a line that's burning (preferably with particle effects.)

My lines also have colliders, and that's a must have. I also make the lines more curved, so I think I kinda have to stick with LineRenderer as I found no other way to do this.

Does anyone have any idea how to make a line renderer component work together with particle emitters?

The only idea I had was to create empty game objects between every points and add particle system to those, but that doesn't seem right for me, as one nicely curved line can go up to 200 points easily, which would mean 200 other gameobjects, each with a particle system, and that's only one line on the screen, and you can draw more. Sounds like a really bad idea, specially on mobile. :)

Any ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Daniel