Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using old Shuriken particles with HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by eco_bach, Sep 4, 2019.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

So am trying to get these new sample particle shaders working using legacy Shuriken particle sysem.
    Have created a new HDRP project and also downloaded these shaders.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-built-in-particle-shaders.541015/

When I create a new particle System I am unable to change the Shader in the Default-ParticleSystem material. It is greyed out in the editor.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Velo222

Velo222

I had trouble with particle shaders as well when I upgraded my project to trying to use HDRP. I don't know if any of this will help, but I had to first download the correct version of particle shaders from this link: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840/

Then, I had to make sure I had the correct package manager version of HDRP to fit the shaders. For example in Unity 2019.2, the package HDRP verson 6.9 I believe (or something like that). And I made sure that was installed.

Then I had to manually connect or modify some of the nodes in the shadergraph version of these shaders. I am using the shuriken particle system component as well.

Why it's greyed out though, could be something different. I'm not sure. I've only had component be greyed out when in play mode vs. non-play mode for me. Usually there's a reason it won't let you do it, like maybe not actually having HDRP shaders selected on your material. Just a guess though. Is there a way to select that particular material in the Editor? Also, is modifying the default Unity particle shader even allowed? I'm not sure.

3. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but as far as I know, VFX is the main particle system for HDRP. I don't think the legacy particle system is even intended to be supported at least now.

For example, some features of the particle system still work (You can just put in HDRP lit shader in instead) but some particle features like "color over time" just does not kick in.

I've moved onto VFX, and in general, is very satisfactory. I pretty much spam it in quantity as it is GPU based. 10k emission is just really easy.

4. id0

id0

VFX is too complex. Every effect is another shader. (Remember how long shaders is compile in HDRP?) and somitimes you just need make sprite fire.