Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using multiple timelines on one Character

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by telgo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. telgo

telgo

I have looked around (a lot) but have not found a solution for this.
    I have one character and want to have two timelines for it.
    - one will stomp on a creature with a animation, and two sound effects (two playables)
    - the other will perform a victory dance , again with an animation and music.(two playables)

The TimelineController tutorial does not seem to help; one tank has two timelines, but
    I cant see how to discriminate. Tags would be good, but you cant tag them.

Any ideas would be gratefully received. Even abuse will be tolerated.

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

The PlayableDirector does not need to be on the same object as the object being controlled by a timeline. You can have several gameObjects with PlayableDirectors (i.e. timelines) that control the same character.

3. telgo

telgo

I do understand that, but does that mean I have to create arbitrary (empty?) GameObjects just for each one to have a Playable Director, and then keep track of which playables each controls? or else put PlayableDirectors on abitrary objects? Specifically, how would deal with a third person controller Character with multiple separate playables?

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is one way to do it. Each timeline asset could have it's own gameObject with a playableDirector, and the controller would interact with the player. The advantage is that each timeline could add a bit of an ease in on the first clip to simulate blending. Full arbitrary blending is a bit more difficult.

Alternatively, you could have one playableDirector, and dynamically change the timelines. In this case the binding of the track to animator may need to be scripted (using SetGenericBinding). The playable director binds individual tracks to objects. There is no mechanism for binding by name/tags, but it does remember bindings from previous timelines.

5. telgo

telgo

Thanks for the response. Separate gameobjects seems crazy design. I can’t see an obvious design methodology that would embrace that idea. So a Character, for example, would have "objects" attached as children, whose sole responsibility was to run playables? The "realworld" analogue is what? Or am I missing something?

tonytopper likes this.
  6. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

It appears like you are trying to use timelines as states in a state machine. That's a use case that many people are trying, and we are working on internally.

Because timelines are assets, the playable director is necessary to store the bindings - i.e. the links from bindings to tracks. It is possible to set the bindings via script. If you wanted to add an additional component that does bindings based on naming conventions, tags, or some other way that makes sense to your use case there should be no restriction from doing that, but unfortunately it's not something that we've provided 'out of the box'

MadeFromPolygons and telgo like this.
  7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Make mecanim accept timelines via drag + drop, with timelines appearing as a state to transition to?

Would really unify the two systems and make a lot of things possible. Especially if can be combined with behaviours like statemachinebehaviour

8. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

9. JimmyGrue

JimmyGrue

I agree with telgo that it's bad practice to have 10 players simply because there are 10 timelines to play.
    I spent some time adding functionality for storing refs to all the playable data in the scene on our last game but some better solution could have been provided.

Adding a PlayableContainer component that holds timeline asset and the bindings without having all the functions for playing it would seem like the obvious solution so it' strange it ended up as it did.

10. Whatever560

Whatever560

Any upcoming news on integrating timelines in mecanim animator controllers :) ?
    That would indeed be a tremendous feature.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Agreed that it would be, but there is no news on that front yet. 2018.3 changes to animation track offsets are a good step towards it though....

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Okay thanks for the update!

Slowly but surely timeline is heading to where we wanted it to be originally, and you can tell because its getting used more and more with each update!

We have begun finally using it at work in the studio, and while I wouldnt call timeline completely production ready in every case (still weird issues here and there with offsets etc that show the system works but the UX is not great) its still very usable in its current state.

Personally the only thing I am waiting for is a visual timeline to timeline blend tool such as described in here about mixing with mecanim.

But ultimately @seant_unity as long as we can go from one timeline to another, without duplication of lots of stuff, in a fast efficient UX for this editing, it does not matter if it works with mecanim or not! :)

13. JimmyGrue

JimmyGrue

If I wanted that functionality I would write a state behaviour to do the job. Wouldn't that cover it?

What would be nice though is a way to blend out a all tracks runtime

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  14. Whatever560

Whatever560

Probably a feasible workaround.

15. WizardingStudios

WizardingStudios

Agree!!!:rolleyes:

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  16. TheSwanCollective

TheSwanCollective

Any updates on combining Mecanim with Timeline? 2021 is approaching fast, folks!

17. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Nothing major expected for 2021, although there are a few bug fixes (landed in 2020.2) with blending between timelines and animator controller. Hopefully, we can improve it further in 2021 but unfortunately I don't have specific details.

18. TheSwanCollective

TheSwanCollective

19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Any updates on combining Mecanim with Timeline?

20. ysftulek

ysftulek

I'm also excited about this idea! Any news?

21. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

hello i know this is what everyone asked but we want you to know how badly developers needs this functionality , so any news about animator mecanim and timeline combination??